The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 24, 2008, 10:10 AM   #1
sheepman

What is a sporterize 1917 3006 worth?

A friend of mine has three 1917 enfields that his father and two uncles used for deer hunting. They have been sporterized, stocks modified and sights changed (can not be put back to original condition) but are in fair condition. He has asked me to sell them for him and I want to get a fair price, what would be a reasonable asking price? these are shooters but nothing fancy?? Bill
Old April 24, 2008, 11:26 AM   #2
gunner79

without a scope $250 to $300
Old April 24, 2008, 02:41 PM   #3
Doyle

What he said, but with the following caveat. After WWII, the gov't sold off these things my the hundreds of thousands. Some went to individuals who sporterized them. Many went directly to companies that did the sporter conversions and re-sold them. Some of the conversions were very well done. Others were done very cheaply - and they show it. If you have one of the lower quality ones, it could stay unsold at a $150 price. On the other hand. If you got one of the really high quality conversions and the gun is still in super shape, it could go for upwards of $400 or $500.
Old April 24, 2008, 04:22 PM   #4
buymore

Another thing to keep in mind is the receiver manufacturer. Eddystones that weren't properly done could be dangerous. Supposedly the barrels were very tight and to remove them, sometimes the receiver ring cracks. I've read that sometimes gunsmiths would make a relief cut in the ring to remove the barrel without stressing it. I've also read reports of rings that were cracked but not visible to the naked eye. If Eddystone, I'd steer clear of any part of them.
Old April 24, 2008, 04:27 PM   #5
B. Lahey

I saw a nice one at the gunshop today that was marked at $199 (no glass).
Old April 25, 2008, 09:12 AM   #6
sheepman

Thank you all for your replies, I have passed this info on, he has a friend that has expressed an interest in them. If he doesn't take them I will take them to a gun show and price them low, they would make a good cheep deer rifle IMO. It looks like 100 to 150 is a reasonable range but that is his decision. Thanks all. Bill
Old April 25, 2008, 11:20 AM   #7
Red Tornado

Quote:
If he doesn't take them I will take them to a gun show and price them low
\

From what I've seen at gunshows lately, I believe there's a new law that requires you to price them at least 50% above fair market value. Also, they should be labeled as "Rare" even though you have 3 of them.

I don't know how yours compare, but here's one from Gunbroker. You might find one that looks close and follow it to find the actual market value.
RT

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=97813281
Old April 25, 2008, 02:30 PM   #8
sheepman

Thanks for the info I did not think to look at gun broker. Sorry I guessed wrong on where to post will try to do better next time. I know there is a rule that all gun show prices are to be more than new price, but if you want to sell at the show then the price has to be reasonable. I have seen the same guns over and over again and they don't sell, I only get a table every couple of years to sell the things I got bored with and price them at what I would be willing to pay. Usually only takes one show to sell out, only get part of my money back though. Bill
Old April 26, 2008, 05:50 AM   #9
MountainBear

Location: Floating between Oregon and Alaska depending on the season...
The reciever ring cracks are present in all enfields, both P-17 and the british P-14. The british for some reason torqued the barrels on at 300 ft-lbs and when the US gov't adopted the rifle and had them made for the .30-06, they kept with this practice.
That said, your gun may hold value if the action can still be salvaged for a legitimate sporter. If the ears are still present on the rear sight and the barrel is still original, you should be able to get at least $150 to $200 for the gun, depending on the condition of the metal (not the finish, but presence or lack of pitting, rust, etc.)
If the ears were totally ground off already or the barrel has been pulled, you may have trouble getting even the above amount. Unfortunately (depending on your viewpoint), these seem to hold more value to the individuals who know the story behind the hunts the gun has seen. Put it in the safe and give it to a kid to start hunting with...
Old April 26, 2008, 01:05 PM   #10
Bogie

If it is a good receiver, some folks like them for Dangerous Game rifles in larger calibers.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old April 29, 2008, 12:10 AM   #11
BlackBart

I bought one at an auction a few months ago, sporterized Winchester made in 1918, drilled and tapped in shooter condition $100.00. No regrets, it's my "beater" rifle.