The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 19, 2005, 06:50 PM   #1
randyhill

Loading 44 mag for 1440fps

I am setting up a test bed using a Thompson Contender frame. I need to fire 230 grains at 1440fps with the min. variation in speed. I will be buying a new custom barrel. Is there a way to determine the best length?
Old March 19, 2005, 07:35 PM   #2
Sarge

I've been loading "Elmer's Baby" for a long time, and I've never run across 230 grain .44 bullets; but it is also that long experience which tells me that there are so many components for this cartridge that I may not have seen them all yet!

From the tone of your post I'm betting you will have a chronograph handy for your experiments, so it's a simple matter of selecting a slow powder like H110 or W296, commencing with the "starting loads", and then easing your way up to the velocity you are trying to attain- watching for pressure signs along the way. I believe I would use the 14" Contender if I were you, although you should have no trouble getting 1440 fps from the 10" tube, either.

The following should help you get started, I hope-

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/de...Source=Hodgdon

Please let us know how it all works out. I am always willing to learn something new about this fine cartridge.
Old March 20, 2005, 11:13 AM   #3
randyhill

S/b 240

Can't type. I am using Remington 240 Grain Semi-Jacketed Hollow Points.

Thanks for the advice and I will follow the link.

Randy