The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 26, 2013, 09:04 AM   #1
JDR41

Value of my Browning Citori Grade 1 Skeet 28"

I have a Browning Citori Grade 1 Skeet 12GA 28", that is not even broken in yet.

I maybe have between 4-500 rounds through, gun is in excellent condition with only one very minor little dent/impression approximately 1/32" on the stock.

Other than that it is in my opinion 99%.

Would like to know what the value might be as it spends it life looking pretty in my safe, and I would like to see it find a home where someone will get good use of it.

Thanks in advance,

JDR
Old May 26, 2013, 11:46 AM   #2
BigJimP

What year was it mfg'd ....does it have changeable screw in chokes - if not, what is it choked at ?
Old May 26, 2013, 12:34 PM   #3
JDR41

how do I determine that?
Old May 26, 2013, 01:24 PM   #4
BigD_in_FL

Choke tubes you can see in the end of the muzzle. Year is determined by the serial number

http://www.browning.com/customerserv...tail.asp?id=32
Old May 27, 2013, 07:52 PM   #5
zippy13

It's a Skeet gun -- some (me included) consider screw-in chokes a negative in a Skeet gun.
NSSA Life Member 128544
Old May 27, 2013, 08:27 PM   #6
BigD_in_FL

Agreed Zippy - it was a mission-specific gun, built for one purpose, so no interchangeable choke tubes would be necessary
Old May 27, 2013, 08:54 PM   #7
SauerGrapes

While I share your opinions about skeet specific guns, without screw chokes, it hurts the value. The 28'' barrels don't help either. Nothing wrong with the gun, just seems everybody wants 30s or 32s.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old May 28, 2013, 10:28 AM   #8
BigJimP

I suggest we not jump to conclusions - because he calls something a "skeet" gun....maybe its a field gun ...maybe its a skeet gun.../ maybe it has fixed chokes...maybe it has screw in chokes...

At this point we don't know very much about the gun that he's asking our opinion of value on ....
------------
All we really know is the OP is trying to sell a gun /and asking for a value ...a Grade 1 Citori, no matter what it is has value ....but in my opinion:

As a "versatile gun" ..fixed chokes are a negative.
28" barrels ...might be a negative ( 30" is more in demand today ).
We know its a Grade 1 /which are their entry level /plain stocked guns today.
We don't know if it has an "angled comb" or how the stock is configured..

Until we know more - in my opinion, value could be as low as $ 650 -- or as high as $ 1,250.....in my area. As much as I love shooting Skeet....in my area, Skeet is a dying game..../ especially for guys under 50. Sporting Clays, 5 Stand - attract a lot more shooters ( and their money ) at my local clubs....and a fixed choke skeet & Skeet, grade 1 Citori ...isn't going to work for those shooters very well. In my opinion, learning to shoot Skeet well ...will give you the fundamentals to shoot sporting and 5 stand well / so guys should shoot a lot of skeet when they're learning.../ so shooting Skeet is a good stepping stone....

but OP doesn't care about any of this stuff....all he asked for was a value...and when, or if, he gives us more info on the gun / we can all let him know what we think ( or buddy Zippy doesn't like Brownings anyway ) ...

Last edited by BigJimP; May 28, 2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old May 29, 2013, 04:04 PM   #9
zippy13

Quote:
( or buddy Zippy doesn't like Brownings anyway )
Come on Jim... it's not that I don't like Brownings, it's that other guns work better for me. Many, many folks would never have got into shooting if it weren't for Citoris.
Old May 29, 2013, 06:55 PM   #10
340 Weatherby

Citori's are great guns. The Skeet models are not my favorite though because I'm not crazy about the beavertail fore end and the trap style rib. But for a trapshooter looking to do a little skeet shooting, it's a good choice. Jim, aren't the skeet models w/ fixed chokes stamped skeet, skeet on the barrel bloc?
Old May 29, 2013, 07:03 PM   #11
BigJimP

I think so yes......but we still don't know if the OP is using a generic term / or what he really has.../ unless he comes back and fills in the gaps....
-----------
I'm reminded of a guy asking our advice for a dedicated Skeet gun a year or so ago on this or another site/saying he wanted to shoot a lot of skeet.....and when he spoke up again ...he ended up buying a used Rem 870 with a short barrel with a fixed cyclinder choke...and said he meant he'd shoot about 10 boxes a year...../ not what we thought he meant ...so I'm not sure we gave him great advice.
-----------
If he really wants to know value....he should visit shops in his local area ...and let them look at the gun in person anyway probably....
Old May 29, 2013, 07:33 PM   #12
BigD_in_FL

While values will vary depending on different parts of the country, if the OP looks at closed auctions on GunBroker and the retail sale ads on GunsInternational.com, he should be able to find his version and come up with a min-max value - as long as he compares apples to apples
Old May 29, 2013, 08:50 PM   #13
merbeau

Browning

I have a Browning Citori XS skeet shotgun that has 28 inch barrels with screw in chokes. The Citori comes in many different styles with the newer models actually saying XS skeet on the receiver. The skeet gun will be Steel Silver nitride finish, gold accented and high-relief engraving. Barrel will have a tapered floating high-post top rib and be ported.

A 28 inch skeet gun will be 45 1/2" long, LOP of 14 3/8", drop at comb of
1 3/4" and the same amount at the heal.

Personally I like the screw in chokes. I can change chokes to modified to shoot an occasional round of trap, or make the chokes tighter for practice.

The gun retails today for $3,179.99. I paid $2,000 for mine in 2008.

The serial number will be under the lever on top of the stock and will have two alphabet letters that will provide the year of manufacture and all newer citori shotguns end with 131.

I would agree a lot of people are looking for 30/32 inch barrels.

A lot of people shoot Brownings. The only knock on Brownings is aftermarket parts.

PS The citori comes in either long tang (trigger guard) that extends down the pistpl grip. The short tang ends before the pistol grip. There are more long tang parts available then short tang. So in my opinion the long tang would be worth more. I have seen them advertised on Gun Broker, etc. from $800 to $1500 dollars depending on the condition.
Old May 29, 2013, 08:55 PM   #14
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
The only knock on Brownings is aftermarket parts.
HUH? What aftermarket parts are you looking for to add to a Browning?

Quote:
PS The citori comes in either long tang (trigger guard) that extends down the pistpl grip. The short tang ends before the pistol grip. There are more long tang parts available then short tang. So in my opinion the long tang would be worth more. I have seen them advertised on Gun Broker, etc. from $800 to $1500 dollars depending on the condition.
You sure you aren't talking about the Belgian Brownings?