The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 10, 2013, 01:49 AM   #1
Doublea A

New To Shotgun Please Help Me With Ammo Choices

I bought a Mossberg 500 Turkey Thug 12GA chambered in 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells in a 20 inch barrel today. This is my first shotgun purchase and I need help from those with experience in this area.

The shotgun came with a XX-Full Accu-Choke which I will be using primarily for turkey hunting.

I have ordered an "improved cylinder" choke tube to allow me to shoot slugs.

I have also ordered the "modified" choke tube to allow me to shoot Buckshot loads (self-defense) as well.

My questions are as follows:

What ammo is best for plinking and also for hunting or self-defense for the

a) XX-Full Accu-choke tube (both plinking and hunting turkeys)
b) "Improved cylinder" Slugs only- (both plinking and protection rounds i.e. when in bear town or deer hunting)
c) "Modified" Buckshots only (both plinking and self-defense)

Your recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited by Doublea A; May 10, 2013 at 01:50 AM. Reason: incomplete title
Old May 10, 2013, 03:19 AM   #2
mete

No matter what you pick don't go 'by the numbers ' always pattern the ammo -
Old May 10, 2013, 04:34 AM   #3
Virginian

Check both the Modified and the Imp. Cyl. with slugs. Not always, but lots of times modified gives the best accuracy. Different brands of slugs will do better in different guns as well.
I can't envision plinking with either buck or slugs, so can offer no advice.
Old May 10, 2013, 07:45 AM   #4
BigD_in_FL

Doesn't matter what works in my guns - it matter what works in yours - the pattern plate is your friend in this area.

Buy a few different types for each application and try them to determine what your gun likes
Old May 11, 2013, 07:29 PM   #5
ZVP

Re emerging shotgunner

Being away from shotguns for around 33 years I, like you, are bewildered!
There is no substitute for a blank target and a good review of what's just happened when you shot!
with the Ammo Shortage, there are some pretty weird remnants on the shelves and if you buy one beware , you may get some MONSTER Dove loads! I did and WOW!
Hopefully light target loads will once again grace the shelves and we will once again approach sanity???
Look at the dram equilivent.
The lower the better for pratice. It just is the old ratio ofBlack Powder to propell the load. The shot load is next and for 12 ga pratice, 7/8 oz is good. 1 oz starts to kick.
The height of the brass base neans nothing, My Military "00" Buckshot rounds have low bases. Remington Phesant loads are the highest and also the hardest Kickerss @ 3 3/4 Dram with 3 1/4 oz of #4 shot. All I can say is WOW that load is stout!
Hope this helped a bit. Just read it all and have fun!
BPDave
Old May 11, 2013, 09:18 PM   #6
jrothWA

Apples and oranges here.

The "XX Full" choke tube is the TIGHTEST choke available and any literature should indicate what shot size will give a consistent pattern, sometime too much choke will "results in "blown" patterns )e.g.: opening up.

Is this the first time for turkeys? How good are you at calling them in CLOSE, meaning 25yds, if a bird hangs up at 40+ yds then that were the "XX Full" comes into it own.

Some turkey loads pattern best with "MOD or FULL" chokes.

FoOr upland game, rabbits, squirrels, grouse & pheasants, you"ll need the other chokes of Skeet or IC, IMP MOD or MOD, these depend on the time of season,
e.g.: early season / heavy cover, an open choke Sk or IC and 7-1/2 or 6 shot then late season, open cover longer range use the tighter chokes, MOD or full, with 5 or 4 shot.

All above comment are for LEAD shot.

For waterfowl, the "Non toxic" shot needs to be used and type is steel ( worthless c_ap), heavi-shot, or a tungsten matrix, these seem to reuire less choke for best results.

for big game, then either slug or saboted round, the lead slugs require smooth-bore barrels and the sabots need the rifled barrels.

Review and ask more questions, we'll help.
Old May 14, 2013, 01:06 PM   #7
Bake

Start by "Patterning" your barrel, choke, ammo, at the distances you expect to be shooting. Home defence: less than 5 yds to 15 yds max. Turkey: 20 yds to 40 yds. Deer and other large game will have to be based on your local area.

You might want to try a "Rifled" choke. It helps with slugs, and it can act like a "Speader" and open up your pattern (Good for home defense).

Practice with Promo/On sale ammo, but always finish with your "Good-To-Go" ammo.

Go to the Skeet range and shoot "Modified" (No doubles, at first) Skeet. Use an "Imp. Cyl." choke for Skeet, and if they have trap, use a "Mod." at the 16 yd line. 1oz. of #8's will work well, for both.

Keep your head down and your swing smooth...
Old May 14, 2013, 05:25 PM   #8
Erno86

For smooth bore shotguns...I like Federal's Tru-Ball slugs, intended for smooth bores. I would prefer to use cylinder or improved cylinder, for home defense buckshot loads --- preferably the Federal Low-Recoil Flite-Control Wads --- with the 9 pellet 00 Buck in 12 gauge or the better hitting #4 Buck {27 pellets}. If you want less penetration thru dry wall, #4 birdshot is effective at close range.

You will tear away the 4 pedal's of Federal's Flite-Control Wads, with certain muzzle brakes that have openings on the side.

I bagged my 21 pound, 10" bearded gobbler --- on Maryland's first spring turkey season day this year --- with a single 3 inch, 12 gauge Hevi-Shot load, using a combination of 5,6 & #7 shot, with a Hevi-Shot Turkey choke tube.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; May 14, 2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old May 14, 2013, 06:09 PM   #9
allaroundhunter

Re: New To Shotgun Please Help Me With Ammo Choices

For buckshot, the stuff I like and what works best in my guns is Federal premium with a Flite-control wad. However, I keep Hornady TAP in the gun because it patterns well to 20 yards and is more readily available for me.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:09 PM   #10
ZVP

You need to shop these days!

Just today I finally located some light Target loads to pratice with my HD Shotgun
1 Supplies have been so sparse that you needed to try 3-7 stores to get all the ammo you want!
Some stores have 3 box limits ( Like Wal Mart!) some stores have their shelves cleared on delivery day morning! Like Big-5 Sporting Goods!
Until the manufacturers start delivering we have a lot of hunting to do!
BPDave
Old May 16, 2013, 06:32 PM   #11
BigD_in_FL

Right now, Gander has PALLETS of target ammo and everything else for shotgun and metallic in stock (except .22) - Look there for good selection, even if the prices are somewhat eh
Old May 20, 2013, 11:08 PM   #12
Doublea A

Thanks for all the inputs. On another note, I went to the range today to shoot my various options of Game loads, a slug, buckshot and turkey loads in an attempt in patterning my shotgun.

The turkey loads (Winchester DoubleX kicked like 4 mules. It was shot through the XX-Full choke which came with the Mossberg 500 "turkey thug".

It kicked me so hard that when I shot the slugs later on the recoil felt much less compare to the Winchester DoubleX load. Is this normal?

I am 6:01ft 203 lbs. guy and I will consider myself physically strong due to my workout regimen and various sporting activities during the week, but I felt so much pain in my shoulder area that I only shot just 2 shots of the turkey load, 17 shots of the game load, 5 Buckshots load (royal buck) and 2 slugs (Winchester Super X-rifle slugs 2 3/4 1600 MV).

I came home and took some ibuprofen and I know it is going to hurt tomorrow. Am I wimp? I am thinking of buying the Scorpion X2 Razorback Recoil Pad as I have the standard version which I think did not help when wearing just a T-shirt.
Please let me know your inputs.
Thanks
Old May 21, 2013, 01:09 AM   #13
allaroundhunter

Re: New To Shotgun Please Help Me With Ammo Choices

Turkey loads can hurt, no doubt about it. And sending slugs at 1600 fps won't be nice on the shoulder, either.

No, you aren't a wimp. After shooting the shotgun a little more you might develop a little more resistance to those loads, but they will always have a good 'pop' to them.
Old May 21, 2013, 06:14 AM   #14
BigD_in_FL

Sorry, but I see no use for some of those uber loads. When you use the on-line recoil calculators, you will see that some of them have more recoil than a 458 Win Mag. Since I do not hunt elephant or T-rex, I am quite happy shooting lighter loads. Since I shoot a lot of sporting clays, my practice loads are 3/4oz @ 1210 fps - no bruises, no pain, plenty of fun.