The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 7, 2013, 03:32 PM   #1
t45

Any luck with Power Pistol powder in 9mm, 40cal and 45acp?

Iv not used this powder before but my LGS had 2lbs on the shelf. Has anybody had good luck with Power Pistol powder in all three calibers? I really wanted to find some more Universal because I have had good success with that in the past.
Old March 7, 2013, 03:44 PM   #2
ScottRiqui

I'm not positive, but I think Power Pistol was designed with 9mm in mind, and I've used it on all three calibers you mentioned, along with .380 ACP.

It gives a pretty bright muzzle flash, so I wouldn't use it for self-defense ammo or anything else you might be shooting in low light.

Typical charges for PP also tend to be higher than for other powders like W231, so it might not be the most cost-effective powder. But in these days of "use what you can find", it's a fine choice.
Old March 7, 2013, 05:31 PM   #3
serf 'rett

It is my go to powder for higher velocity loads in 9mm and 40S&W. I'm sure I'll develop loads for the 45ACP whenever the new pistol arrives. Meters good. My loads burn well with little residue deposited in the pistols.
Old March 7, 2013, 05:32 PM   #4
bamiller

I had used Bullseye exclusively then tried Power Pistol on a whim when I got a partial 1 lb. container thrown in on a reloading equipment deal. Been reloading 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP with it for a couple of months now and really like it.
Old March 7, 2013, 05:53 PM   #5
CS86

I bought some to try but ended up letting a buddy try it out first. He wanted to get into reloading and I gave him a few powders to try for the 9mm. He said compared to HS-6 it had a lot more recoil to it. I've also heard this from others on the site. He tried matching velocities from the book for the powder charges and still noticed more recoil. He was shooting 115gr bullets. I can't remember how it burned compared to the hs-6.