The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 6, 2013, 09:53 PM   #1
mjes92

To size or not to size ???

I'm loading .38 Special, casting Lee 158 grain .358" SWC tumble lube, 3.0 grs. Clays, CCI small pistol primers

The bullets are comming out at 155 - 158 grains and measureing .358" to .360". After casting 0ver 400 bullets my quality has diminished. Been noticeing a slight flashing from a lose spur cutter.

Should I be sizing these bullets?

Below is my range data from first casted (best quality) bullets. They shot very well.

Two different C.O.L & two different revolvers

6" barrel
1.475" C.O.L average velocity = 702 fps
1.445" C.O.L average velocity = 754 fps

2" barrel
1.475" C.O.L average velocity = 645 fps
1.445" C.O.L average velocity = 690 fps

Please note: My cast bullet lead is considerably harder than any purchased Lead cast bullets. For that reason I may be losing velocity. Load data said I should be getting 825 fps. Very low recoil. Which is what I wanted.

I was suprised to see the 50 fps increase with only a difference in the depth I seated the bullet. I seated them shorter than spec only becase the crip ended up on top of a tumble lube ridge. Lead fouling seems minimal.

By comparison Winchester (white box) 130 FMJ

6" barrel
average velocity = 779 fps

2" barrel
average velocity = 680 fps

Looking for some old timer advice.
Thanks
NRA - Life Member
Old March 6, 2013, 10:09 PM   #2
myfriendis410

What's the standard deviation in the velocity?

What kind of accuracy are you getting? If it's not grouping well, then you may want to look at other things like sizing the bullets. Did you slug your barrel?

You may also want to go with a softer alloy at the velocities you're trying to run at.
Old March 6, 2013, 10:24 PM   #3
SVO

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the Lee Tumble lube bullets were to be used as dropped from the mold. No sizing needed, Just lube 'em & go.
Old March 6, 2013, 10:42 PM   #4
maggys drawers

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the Lee Tumble lube bullets were to be used as dropped from the mold. No sizing needed, Just lube 'em & go.
Yep. That's how they are made, cast, tumble lube and go. Slug the cylinder (assuming it's a revolver), and load .001 to .002 over cylinder size.
Old March 6, 2013, 11:12 PM   #5
shootniron

Tumble lube = cast and shoot.
Old March 7, 2013, 10:20 AM   #6
mjes92

Tumble lube molds are advertised as " Cast & Shoot"

After the first hundred bullet's the spur cutter on the mold loosened up and kinda buggered up the seam edge of the mold and I started seeing a little flashing on the bullet base. Some bullets are .0005" to .001" out or round. And I'm using a good caliper. I'll loan a micrometer from work and double check. I don't have the gear to slug the barrel.

The problem is they shoot great. I'm shocked how good of a grouping I'm get out of my snubnose.

Any recommendationd on how to clean an Aluminum LEE bullet mold ???
I was thinking about using brake cleaner. Any opinions ???

I don't know if I'm worrying about nothing or if I'm becoming addicted to the precision of reloading. I like my fingers and eyes just the way they are. Respect for reloading in a healthy thing.
NRA - Life Member
Old March 7, 2013, 12:55 PM   #7
David Bachelder

I size all of my cast bullets. Most of the time there is little resistance on the handle as I push the bullet through the sizer. Sometimes there is a good bit of resistance. After sizing I tumble lube with Alox and dry. Next they go into a box until needed. Anymore, all of the straight wall pistol bullets I shoot are cast.

If I'm not mistaken, and I usualy am, different alloys will drop different sizes. Also quench casting will produce a different size than air cooling.

I size just to be sure I'm shooting what I think I'm shooting.