The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 11, 2012, 05:05 AM   #1
jwrowland77

Hornady 154gr Interlock RN for 7RM

I was able to get my hands on some Hornady 154gr Interlock RN for my 7mm Rem Mag. While I can find the bullet in my load manual for Hornady, I can not find the powder in there that I use.

Question, in my Lyman manual, it had a 154gr jacketed sp that listed my powder for it. Can I use this min/max that is listed for the jacketed sp? I am thinking yes, but wanted to get a confirmation. I figure the only different thing I will have will be the OAL.

Thanks for any advice.
Old September 11, 2012, 09:28 AM   #2
Clark

In Sept 2004 I got Hornady 154 gr RN blems from Midsouth for $6.76/ bag of 100.

Those have been terrible bullets.
Unlike the 162 gr SST bullets for $6.57/bag, that shoot really well on targets and animals.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old September 11, 2012, 10:33 AM   #3
jwrowland77

Any advice on the original question?
Old September 11, 2012, 02:51 PM   #4
jwrowland77

Anyone? Help?
Old September 11, 2012, 03:16 PM   #5
math teacher

Start at the minimum and work your way up looking for signs of excess pressure. Round nose kind of defeats the purpose of a 7mm RM. They would be OK for short to medium range if they prove accurate, but are not long range fodder.
Old September 11, 2012, 03:21 PM   #6
jwrowland77

Quote:
Originally Posted by math teacher View Post
They would be OK for short to medium range if they prove accurate, but are not long range fodder.
That's actually exactly what I'm looking for. I normally hunt an area full of briars and vines and what not. Needed something a little more like a 30-30 round to punch through it without having to go buy a 30-30. I plan on getting one next year but don't have the funds this year.

So I can start at the minimum of the 154gr in my Lyman's manual even though the bullet profile is different. Awesome. I had planned to start at minimum anyway. Always do.
Old September 11, 2012, 03:23 PM   #7
Wyoredman

I think I would start at the lower end of the 150 gr load in your Lyman manual and start experimenting. I would also look at the 160gr load listed and make sure I din't exceed that max or load below that minimum. Try out a few in your rifle and then make a decision if you can increase charge weights a bit.

Looking at IMR 4350 data:

- 150 gr Nosler Partition min is 57 gr and max is 60.8 gr

- 160 gr Nosler Partition min is 56 gr and max is 59.5 gr

Since your RN bullets have a different profile and are 154 gr, I would start at 56.0 gr and work up to around 60.0 gr. Stopping if the bolt starts to get hard to lift or the cases start showing signs of pressure. There is an excellent thread about pressure and cases here someplace.

You may find that you can go beyond 60.0 grains of IMR 4350, to 62 gr or so. Work up and find a good load with those bullets.
Old September 11, 2012, 03:30 PM   #8
jwrowland77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoredman View Post
Since your RN bullets have a different profile and are 154 gr, I would start at 56.0 gr and work up to around 60.0 gr. Stopping if the bolt starts to get hard to lift or the cases start showing signs of pressure. There is an excellent thread about pressure and cases here someplace.

You may find that you can go beyond 60.0 grains of IMR 4350, to 62 gr or so. Work up and find a good load with those bullets.
That's kind of what I was thinking. Was looking at starting at 56. And working my way up. I'm mainly trying to find a good brush round just in the 7mm RM platform. That's kind of what I like about this reloading stuff. I can experiment with bullets that are on the market.

Who knows? I may not need to get a 30-30 if I can find a good 100 range round with this Hornady bullet. The furthest I would have to shoot on my lease is maybe 125-150 yards at max. Most the time it's 50-75/100 with a lot of brush around.
Old September 11, 2012, 04:17 PM   #9
hooligan1

Wyoredman, what manual are you getting your info from? Cause my Nosler #6 says with the 150 partition, start 59 gr, Max 63 grn and listed 63 grn load as their most accurate load.
Old September 11, 2012, 05:10 PM   #10
Wyoredman

From the Hodgdon/IMR website. http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Jw had an earlier thread a few days ago saying he was using IMR4350. We looked at the Nosler book and the Hornady book in that thread. The Nosler book was a bit "stouter", for lack of a better word, and Hornady was a bit "weeker" in their data. The powder manufacturer web data seems to be in the middle of the road.

Since Jw was getting a bit confused with all the conflicting data, I just chose the Hodgdon/IMR data to help him out.

Thats all.
Old September 11, 2012, 06:42 PM   #11
PA-Joe

Watch your AOL with those RN bullets. Do not use pointed bullet AOL data.
Old September 11, 2012, 06:50 PM   #12
jwrowland77

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA-Joe View Post
Watch your AOL with those RN bullets. Do not use pointed bullet AOL data.
Oh yeah, definitely wouldn't use the same OAL as pointed bullets. My first step would be to use my OAL gauge to figure out the OAL touching the LNG first and then back it off by .01-.02.
Old September 12, 2012, 05:45 AM   #13
hooligan1

Oh well, some of those loads in that website are different than that from the manual, I try to go by what the bullet maker go's by because their testing facilities are better than ours.
Old September 12, 2012, 06:05 AM   #14
jwrowland77

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan1 View Post
Oh well, some of those loads in that website are different than that from the manual, I try to go by what the bullet maker go's by because their testing facilities are better than ours.
That's kind of what I was taught, which is what was causing me a little confusion/frustration because ql was saying that the load that shot good was around the 80% case fill mark which could cause in misfire if the powder is not against the primer. Maybe not misfire but the powder not burning the way it was intended.
Old September 12, 2012, 04:01 PM   #15
hooligan1

HHHHMMMMMM,,,never heard of that one.
Old September 12, 2012, 04:23 PM   #16
jwrowland77

Well maybe I'm just confused. LOL. I think I'll just stick with what shot good and enjoy. LOL