The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 7, 2010, 06:25 PM   #1
aarondhgraham

A newbie question about bullet brands.

Okay, I feel confidant that given the load data for a specific bullet, I can load a safe and useable cartridge. Let's say for example that I buy a box of 158 Gr. HP-XTP bullets. I open up my Lee loading manual and it will give me the brand of powder, the exact powder charge, the type of primer to use, and the overall cartridge length for that specific bullet. I just set my dies and scale to those specs and a'reloading I go.

But what about for the bullet brands that aren't listed in the manuals.

There are two bullets I am interested in, mainly because they are relatively inexpensive. Berry's Plated Bullets and Oregon Trail Laser-Cast bullets come to mind.

Now I found load data for a Lyman bullet that looks very similar to the Laser-Cast bullet I am looking at. They are both 158 grain semi wad-cutters. Would it acceptable practice to use the same load data for the Laser-Cast that is listed for the Lyman?

I sent an e-mail to Berrys Plated Bullets and was told to go to the powder manufacturer website for charge data. That was no help at all.

I sent an e-mail to Oregon Trail and simply haven't heard anything from them.

If there is anything on either of their websites, I missed it completely.

I guess what worries me is the internal volume after I seat the bullet.
If the laser-cast 158 SWC is longer than the Lyman 158 SWC wouldn't that cause a pressure increase?

Nothing in any of my reference books tells me how to deal with the less common bullet manufacturers.

Any references you can point me to or techniques you can share with me would be very much appreciated.

Or, am I worrying about nothing?
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old March 7, 2010, 07:22 PM   #2
plainsman456

Just use lead loading data.Start a little low and work your way up in your firearm.
Old March 7, 2010, 08:25 PM   #3
Sevens

Let's try to keep this simple... even though it's not a simple deal!

It's easier for powder manufacturer to list a few different jacketed bullets because everyone knows the most common jacketed bullet makers. Sierra, Hornady, Speer, Nosler and some others. They use these bullets in their data because these bullets are common and well known. Their load data is tested with these specific bullets and they know that the end user can find and buy these bullets.

As handloaders, we know going in that this load data is not a strict line-by-line recipe, it's an outline of their results using those components. We use similar components and we expect similar results. That means if we don't have a Hornady XTP, but we do have a JHP of the same/similar weight, we can use that load data -- as long as we follow the common practice of starting low and working higher all the while paying attention to pressure signs.

You shouldn't take FMJ data and stick a JHP in there, because JHP bullets are typically longer, and thus reduce the interior space, and increase the pressure.

Most data sources don't list cast lead bullets because there are just short of a ZILLION different outfits that are making and selling cast bullets. The few powder manufacturers that do list some loads with cast bullets tend to stick to a well-known brand like Montana Gold or Laser Cast.

Most don't list data for lead bullets because each bullet is different. A different alloy, hardness, length, sized diameter, and more. All of the differences make each bullet react differently to load data.

Plated bullets are more like lead bullets than the jacketed bullets that they appear to be like. The electroplating is SO thin, they typically can't be sent to the same velocities that jacketed bullets run at.
Old March 7, 2010, 08:36 PM   #4
coptersteve

Oregon Trail lasercast bullets

Hello, I ordered my first box of oregon trail bullets a couple of days ago. 200 grain round nose for my 45 acp. I e-mailed them for load data and got a reply a day later. I live in oregon about 5 hours from Baker City where they are located. I got load data in 3 days thru snail mail. Have patience they will answer you. I would not use another manufacture's load data, Oregon trail laser cast are pretty particular. E-mail them again, they have a great web site that you can order direct from and they include the shipping with the price.

Good Luck
Coptersteve