The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 7, 2009, 07:34 PM   #1
tribs49

.204 Ruger reloading.

Wow! TFL is back & running and even though since 2002, it was before that time that I kind of got out of TFL. But it is good to be back. OK........so...... how many of you out there have played with reloading the .204 Ruger? I have just acquired the H&R break action single shot in that caliber, and thus far have tried Barnes 26 grn VG and am just starting on Hornady's 32 grn V-Max. I have triied BL-C2 for the 26 grn and also just started with C2 on the v-max plus trying IMR 3031 on the v-max. I do not have anything concrete as of yet to provide here on TFL as all reload testing is in it's earliest stages. Noticed due to the .204 being a new round that the reload data is somewhat limited compared to the others that have been around a while. Specifically, I was curious as to what powders any have used........how many grains of powder........what bullet.........velocity.......and what accuracy groupings you have succesfully acquired. I have also come across some bad data that came off the internet. For instance data stated that max load using IMR 4064 was 28.2 grns. Guess what? You can not even get 28 grns of 4064 in the casing. So I am thinking that there are some reloaders out there that have had some good results and that would save me alot of time & trouble.

What say any and/or all?

Old October 7, 2009, 07:42 PM   #2
kraigwy

I shoot the Ruger #1 in 204. Not much info when I got mine, I found a supplement for the serria manuel and started with the accuracy load, (32 grns). Using thier load I got about 3700 fps, and the accruacy sucked. I changed nothing but the primer and found I got better accuracy and 4300 fps in my Ruger.

What you got to do is tinker with any given load until it suits you and your rifle.

Biggest problem I had with my 204 was underestimating its ablility. I kept trying to over shoot PDs. Once I just started aming for critters instead of air it was hell on PDs.

It turns the insides of coyetes to jelly too.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 8, 2009, 05:01 PM   #3
bpratl

kraigwy, what primers did you use and switch to for your .204?

Bob
Old October 8, 2009, 06:11 PM   #4
kraigwy

Quote:
kraigwy, what primers did you use and switch to for your .204?
I switched from fed SR match primers to CCI standard primers,

BUT

All rifles are differant, your milage may very. What works in my gun may or may not work in yours. Thats why I dont like giving reloading data.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 8, 2009, 07:54 PM   #5
Toddco

.204 ruger reloading

i have loaded my savage .204 extensively. I found that it shoots almost everything quite well out to 200 yards, after that it becomes questionable. One of the best loads i have is the 32 grain nosler ballistic tip/cci/primers/reloader 15. velocity is just over 4000fps, groups at 200 yards are consistantly 1". I find when i shoot them out further they tend to spray around a little, maybe because of any little breeze, not sure yet. I also found the nosler ballistic tip in a 40 grain to shoot well with the reloader 15 as well. Pretty much the same grouping, just a little less velocity. I am now trying hornady's 45 grain v-max, not much luck so far.
Old October 8, 2009, 08:04 PM   #6
tribs49

Thanks. Appreciate all info.

Sounds to me like most others are experiencing same difficulties as I am going thru. And that is correct........I need to dabble & play with different loads......find the accuracy load & go. I was doing some inquiring mainly because I do not like to keep a high inventory of powders. I have been to some reloading benches that had the upper shelf lined with powders. If possible I try to keep it simple. At this time I stock IMR's 3031, 4064, &4227. Then I went out and as a shot in the dark after researching what data I could, I bought BL-c2. Well, I am starting to think that may have been a mistake. What I was hoping to find out is that there were more than one person that settled on a certain powder. Then I was going to go with that and develop my accuracy load. Thing that gets me fellas is that this .204 is suppose to be a real smoker and yet, it amazes me in that I can take some Sierra 60 grn hollow points and load them for my .243. My accuracy load is driving those 60 grn at 3600 fps.

I wanted to ask you kraigwy at what range you are decking those PD's???

Ok.........thanks again for the input, fellas.
Old October 9, 2009, 06:13 PM   #7
kron

I'm still tinkering with my loads for the 204 and the various bullets I'm trying. Did find out that my particular rifle doesn't like too many shots before running a dry swab down the tube to get out any leftover fouling. Factory ammo, or my loads. Seems to be kinda temperamental to the fouling.

Anyone else had the same issue?
Old October 9, 2009, 08:10 PM   #8
cobra81

I've tried plenty of loads for my Savage .204. Still working on a "pet load."
My most recent experiment was Hornady 32 gr. bullet, Fed. 205M primer,
and H4895, bullet seated to 2.250 OAL. Accuracy was decent but not fabulous;
next I want to try this load with Remington 71/2 primer.
Heard good about that combination.
Old October 9, 2009, 08:34 PM   #9
Dr. Pepper

40 V-Max
H4895
Remington 7.5
OAL 2.250
Max charge gets about 3900 fps.

32 V-Max
H335
Remington 7.5
OAL 2.250