The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 12, 2008, 05:14 PM   #1
Little Joe

Advice on single action .45

Hello, this is my first post here. I'm interested in an Old-West style single action .45 like what you see on shows such as Bonanza, Gunsmoke, etc. I'm not currently involved in Cowboy Action Shooting, but would like to be someday. I looking for a starter revolver, on the lower-end of the price range. I've looked online at the Taylor & Co. Smoke Wagon, the Ruger Vaquero, and the Beretta Stampede and really like all of them (especially the Smoke Wagon), but those are quite a bit out of my price range right now. Are there any "generic" knockoffs of these revolvers that would be cheaper starting out, and then upgrade to a better one later? Thanks!
Old November 12, 2008, 05:34 PM   #2
Hawg

Uberti Cattleman or of you don't mind a flat finish the Uberti Millenium.
Old November 12, 2008, 05:54 PM   #3
Little Joe

I'll check those out, thanks.
Old November 22, 2008, 10:58 PM   #4
carprivershooter

Cattleman

I just bought a cattleman today at Gander Mountain, $339.00. it feels solid, I am now looking for reloading informarion on the .45 long colt. Here in Mich even with a CCW I now have to wait a month before I can use the gun. Use to have to take it to the local police department for a saftey check and you were on your way to the range. O well. I think you might enjoy the Ubrti.
Old November 23, 2008, 06:57 AM   #5
FL-Flinter

I say you can't go wrong with the Ruger Vaquero, little more cost up-front but a very worthy investment.
Old November 23, 2008, 07:30 AM   #6
mykeal

Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carprivershooter
Here in Mich even with a CCW I now have to wait a month before I can use the gun. Use to have to take it to the local police department for a saftey check and you were on your way to the range.
What are you talking about? When did that change?
Old November 23, 2008, 09:07 AM   #7
lookylou

I have two, the Taurus Gaucho and an old Model Ruger Vaquero.
The Gaucho has the traditional 4 click cocking action, feels good in the hand, points naturally. Depending on load, it also shoots quite a bit above point of aim. I shoot the lightest cast bullet I can find. After about 1000 rounds, the pin that holds the cylinder in place wants to back out on its own.

The Vaquero (its an old model) doesn't feel as good in my hand as the Gaucho, but its rugged, shoots close to point of aim no matter what bullet I load, and is obviously of more rugged construction.

Both are a blast to shoot. You can't go wrong with a .45 single action.
Old November 23, 2008, 12:28 PM   #8
robhof

robhof

If you're going to upgrade later, a used gun of any of the above including the Ruger blackhawk, if it checks out ok should save quite a bit over new. Of all the Ruger is the strongest and unless abused a used one will shoot well. Check Gander Mtn or Bass Pro, whichever is close to you and ask salesman about any specials or sales on one you're interested in. Usually they will bargain some if you're interested, especially on the used guns and the above places usually check out their used guns quite well and offer a limited warranty.