The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 7, 2008, 03:46 AM   #1
prisonguard13

Any Help Is Always Appreciated

I own a Interarms Virginian Dragoon 44 Mag. i am curious as if anyone can help decipher/read the serial #. Also i have a Remington model 33 .22 and have looked this gun completely over and have yet to find a serial number.
Where if any where is this located? My last question is I have a 1953 Smith & Wesson model 10. I have the original box in great shape, original grips also in excelent shape. The guns finish is 90% + has the pencil barrel and a pinned barrel. The box says Military & Police. It belonged to a guy i use to work withs Dad that use to be a police officer in Indiana. His bad luck and my good luck he ran in to hard times and had to make some quick cash. I paid $100.00 for it. What is the value of this great little gun? Thank all help is much appreciated.
Old August 7, 2008, 10:03 AM   #2
SDC

The Virginia Dragoon should be serial-numbered on the bottom of the frame, in front of the trigger-guard, and they should be easily readable unless someone tried to remove them or they weren't properly stamped in the first place.
The Remington 33 started production at a time when serial numbers weren't REQUIRED on long-arms, so it's not unusual to find examples that have no numbers at all on them; if you want to mark it as your property, you could always take it out of the stock and scribe or stamp a number of your choice in an out-of-the way spot.
No idea on the actual value of the Model 10, but that's the sort of deal that most of us wish we had the chance to make :-).
Old August 7, 2008, 12:51 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

I have a Remington model 6 that is prominently serial numbered. Though not required, I would think the model 33 would be numbered.
Old August 7, 2008, 05:31 PM   #4
Loader9

Might want to ask about the Remington over at the Remington Society forum.
http://www.remingtonsociety.com/forums/
Old August 8, 2008, 09:31 AM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Before the 1968 law required serial numbers be applied to all firearms, most makers either did not number any of their long guns or numbered only the more expensive guns as part of their warranty process.

The Model Six is a modern rifle and has the required serial number. The Model 33 is one of the early, inexpensive, .22 rifles and never had a serial number as it was discontinued long before 1968.

FWIW, in 1968 one maker estimated that serial numbering their .22 rifle line would cost $10 a gun (setting up the machines, plus the accompanying controls and paper work). Since that was more than the factory cost of many shotguns and .22 rifles, some companies simply discontinued their inexpensive lines at that time rather than go through the hassle.

Jim
Old August 8, 2008, 06:04 PM   #6
elrod

On the S&W M&P...........S&W did not put model numbers on their handguns until 1958. You may have meant a pre-model 10 rather than a model 10. The serial # (last 2 or 3 digits x'd out) and pics would help value estimation.

Thanks..................Al