The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 22, 2008, 10:30 AM   #1
Relod'n

Prairie Dogs in SD

Hello,
New to this forum. From New Hampshire. Participate in a few others, non hunting related. Experienced hunter/Fly Fisherman in my late 40's. Hunt for PD's in ND most every year with my 45 YO Brother in Law and Retired Father in law. Load our own, no alcohol during the hunt. Respectful of, and thankful for landowners.

Prefer to shoot at 350 yards plus. We are invited back to private land in near Fort Yates ND year after year. Have hunted Game in Montana as well. Typically shoot in towns that we can walk into, carrying our gear and moving around it for a half day, then packing up and moving to another. This year we want to take our sons (age 15) PD hunting. First PD hunt for both of them. It will be a late season hunt in mid July by dog standards, but that is when the schedules this year allow. My son hunts upland game with me now. It will be a family trip. My Wife and younger kids will stay in Deadwood. After 3 or 4 days hunting we will join the family and vacation throughout the west.

According to this map there seems to be a decent population along highway 34 between Sturgis and Union Center, mostly just a bit East of Volunteer. Does anyone know this area? Are there any willing landowners there? Do not need to hire a guide. Not interested in killing a thousand dogs a day. Just looking for permission. If we cannot hunt there we will move further south to Tribal Lands.

Any and all advice welcome. If anyone fishes in New England, I’d be happy to make recommendations.

Last edited by Relod'n; January 22, 2008 at 10:31 AM. Reason: added email notification...
Old January 23, 2008, 10:57 AM   #2
NRA4life

I'm not real familiar with that particular area, but I know where there is a buttload of them on Public land in MT about 75 miles from Belle Fouche, SD. If you're interested, PM me and I'll send a map.
Old January 23, 2008, 08:46 PM   #3
Relod'n

Thank you for the offer. I will keep it in mind. I think I want to focus in SD if I can. If not I will be in touch.
Old January 23, 2008, 11:51 PM   #4
jrothWA

Check with...

Sturgis chamber of Commerce, there is a motorcycle gathering in the area in July. Should be good types but some bikers show-up.
Some trouble last year, maybe look elsewhere???
Old February 4, 2008, 12:46 AM   #5
JoeShorts

Prarie Doggin

Deadwood has legalized gambling but is on the side of a hill, Sturgis is closer to open prairie, but East of Rapid City near Wall, SD or North of sturgis is going to be better. Most landowners (especially ones with cattle) think the dogs are a nuisance so if asked they may help you out.
Old February 8, 2008, 03:51 PM   #6
UniversalFrost

I am originally from SD and have folks there. You shouldn't have a problem with the P'dogs, they are in great abundance. Most times we just take out .22lr's (10/22 or marlin 60) and shoot from 50 yards or so. .338 win mag works too but I only did that once (got too expensive).

Anyway, check the regs I think you need an out of state permit as well (i was always in state because I was always in the military and home of record is SD so never had to get out of state permit).

Just ask the ranchers in the area for permission. Best bet is to go to one of the smaller mom and pop cafe's or taverns and ask around. You will get guys coming up to you to ask you to take out some p'dogs for them. Also, might want to try the pierre area. tons of federal land and lots of farms and ranches that will give you open access.

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old February 9, 2008, 09:00 PM   #7
Relod'n

Thanks for the input, typically we do what UniversalFrost recommends, generally have good luck. Stop at a tavern for lunch and most of the folks there know what we want and generally offer assistance

We do need out of state permits/license. Typical and to be expected.

Will take a look at Pierre, thanks.

JrothWA, I do the Motorcycle Gatherings as well. My Wife and I both Ride, Never been to Sturgis during Bike Week, but have done the other big Bike events, i.e Laconia, South Carolina, Florida and New York. We are not planning on being there during Motorcycle Week this year, that is a vacation for another year!
Old February 10, 2008, 10:14 AM   #8
UniversalFrost

just a heads up about the sturgis ralleye.

don't go unless you are a die hard bike fan and like to get into fights, have your bike tipped, stolen, etc...

I went with my dad a few years back and he had to litterally sleep on his shovelhead because it tried to "wander" off twice. Both times we caught the different folks as they were trying to load it on a trailer. And some drunk pushed a whole row of bikes over when he ran his bike into them (my brand new soft tail was in there and I had 2k worth of damage), but some dude who had a mint condition indian that gotta tipped because of it beat the drunk guy pretty bad.

I ended up having to fight my way out of a bar after the typical biker gangs started a fight and just started beating each other and anybody within eyeshot that was not part of their "gang" . Definately don't bring the wife, unless you like defending her honor because you will be beating drunk bikers off her if she is anything pretty. They just walk up and start grabbing, kissing, etc... Also, don't know if a weapon is allowed in sturgis during the bike week as well. SD is an open carry shall issue (ccw) state, but just like in the good old days of the wild west the marshal/sherrif can issue a no carry/no gun decree for the event and I know they were talking about it last time I was there.

Personally, if you are gonna ride, then skip sturgis and go down to deadwood. do some gambling and see the sites and have a good time.

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green