The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 4, 2000, 11:08 PM   #1
Jhp147

My next project will probably be an 870 done like I want it. I don't much go in for trick stuff, but the pistol grip stock seems like a good way to help point and control the weapon or use it or point it strong handed only if the need arises. That being said, I don't see these on the guns the "pros" seem to use. Why does a standard stock work better?

------------------
Shamans emerge whenever certain needs remain unanswered...Mark Levy
Old November 4, 2000, 11:41 PM   #2
Badger Arms

No real preference here. I've heard no good reason one way or the other. I find that the standard stock handles just fine.
Old November 5, 2000, 10:06 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

May I assume you're talking about a full stock w/ pistol grip? PG only stocks are hard to control and very hard to hit with.

I've some minor experience with non folding PG stocks on rifles, and they work fine. So do standard stocks.

I've an idea it's inertia. People use the standard stock because they have used them. With 40 years of shotgunning behind me, I admit I'd rather not have to develop new "Chops" and I do rather well with my old shotguns and stocks. After shooting so long that an 870 feels like a body part rather than a well known tool,I'll stay with what works for me.

Newer shooters can try out stuff and see what works for them.
Old November 6, 2000, 10:23 PM   #4
Landtec308SWS

I have the fixed stock w/ pistol grip on my 870 that is made by SpeedFeed.I like the stock although the only draw back is you almost have to dismount the gun slightly by pushing the stock to the right of your right shoulder(if your right handed) in order to engage the safety with your thumb after firing.Best way I can describe it.It can be done very quickly with practice.I shoot this gun everyday so its second nature to me.I may try a over-sized safety,although I don't think it will help much.If anyone has this same set-up and knows of a better way,I'd like to know.
Old November 7, 2000, 01:43 AM   #5
Ledbetter

Same on the Mossberg. The safety is inaccessible unless you remove your hand from the pistol grip and move it to the top of the receiver.
Old November 7, 2000, 10:31 AM   #6
dreadnaught

Its my experience that pistol grip only shotguns are hard to control and less accurate. I'll pass.

------------------
We're sorry. Your call cannot be completed as dialed. Please hang up and try again.