The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 8, 2018, 03:40 PM   #1
Venti30

Advice for first AR please

Considering an AR and holy cow there’s a lot of them out there.

This would be my first AR but now my first rifle. I’d like to spend less than a grand, before optics or furniture that will probably follow.

Don’t want to go low end or high end but looking for reliable range fun.

Max range I’d like to work with is probably 200 yards.

Considering 556 or 300 aac with suppressor

This would probably later be replaced with a top shelf variant later if I like the platform and would become a back up or let friends family shoot during visits.

Won’t see a ton of rounds, maybe 2 or 3k rounds a year.

I prefer the m4 style appearance.

Thoughts please and guidance on best bang for the buck?

Thanks in advance.
Old July 8, 2018, 03:53 PM   #2
xandi

S&W makes a decent ar, so does Ruger
Are you willing to build(assemble) your own?
Old July 8, 2018, 04:06 PM   #3
Venti30

I’d probably not want to build my first, but once I have a professionally built first, and learn the platform I’d probably be inclined to build the second, nicer model.
Old July 8, 2018, 04:29 PM   #4
Bimus

The first one I bought in the early 80's that was ease rifle or carbine .

I picked one up a Windham at a dealer to look at it it's light I really liked it but there was no sights I went home with out it .

I started looking at just sights and the list is almost never ending then I found that the list for AR rifles pistols and parts are also never ending .

I hope you find the right AR for you
Old July 8, 2018, 05:06 PM   #5
marine6680

Best lower cost AR is Aero Precision.

THIS Is a solid performing rifle. Well made... Best specs and fit/finish of any rifle under $700...

Next best would be a PSA imo...

THIS is a very good deal right now. On sale for $500

Comes with Magpul furniture already, and a rear sight to get you started. It's a carbine length gas system, and most agree that the midlength gas system is better, but it's not a deal breaker. Just order an H3 buffer and swap it for the one in the rifle. Should help the rifle run smooth and increase reliability.

The S&W and Ruger offerings are good rifles, but I feel AP and PSA are better rifles for similar or less money.

You get proper speced parts with proper materials for the barrel, bolt, and even buffer tube.

They are near mil spec, they just use a nitrided barrel rather than a chrome lined barrel. Nitride is a good metal treatment, and in a semi rifle just as good as chrome lined.

Last edited by marine6680; July 8, 2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old July 8, 2018, 05:29 PM   #6
stagpanther

Still have a soft spot in my heart for the basic DPMS oracle/sportical. My first AR--had it for years and it never ever failed to cycle fire and eject anything I fed it. And it usually grouped right around MOA--sometimes a little more--sometimes a little less, if I fed it handloads. I think I paid $450 at Wally World for it. I think DPMS has a site-wide 25% sale for the 4th--but it may be over.
Old July 8, 2018, 06:27 PM   #7
HWS

I would go to Del-ton and pick out one in their catalog. There is no need to upgrade later. Del-ton has a good reputation, very helpful, and the price is right.

http://www.del-ton.com/v/media/2017%...%20Catalog.pdf
Old July 8, 2018, 06:35 PM   #8
kymasabe

I'm with Marine6680, I'd go with Palmetto State Armory. They have complete rifles, and they also sell separate complete uppers and lowers so you can pair whatever you like. They also now claim a lifetime warranty. You can pin together an upper and lower from them for around $500, I have a number of them and they all work flawlessly. I also have a PSA upper on an Anderson lower that I built with a PSA parts kit, fits and works fine. And I'm putting another PSA upper on an Ballistic Advantage lower I just built with a Spikes Tactical build kit. Haven't shot it yet but fit seems spot on. If you want to spend a little more, there's always Spikes Tactical, Aero Precision and Ballistic Advantage, all build nice guns.
Old July 8, 2018, 06:57 PM   #9
kymasabe

Nice upper on sale with free shipping, comes with BCG, charging handle and Magpul MBUS rear sight. Then just wait for a nice lower to go on sale with free shipping too.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...us-bcg-ch.html

OR buy a complete rifle like this one. Is midlength which most shooters will say cycles a little slower and with a little less recoil. Personally, I prefer the look of a carbine but...up to you. Good deal, free shipping, comes with rear sight, Magpul furniture and PSA's enhanced polished trigger, ready to use right out of the box (after a good cleaning).
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...516446841.html
Old July 8, 2018, 09:37 PM   #10
MTT TL

Quote:
Thoughts please and guidance on best bang for the buck?
Build your own. You can build a really nice one for less than what you will pay for middle of the road one. They are not hard to build either. Mostly you buy all the components and assemble. When you want to change to something nicer you just change whatever you want to be nicer.
Old July 8, 2018, 11:26 PM   #11
O4L

I agree Aero Precision is a good choice.

I would get this and add the furniture and sights I like.

https://www.brownells.com/firearms/r...RO%2bPRECISION
Old July 9, 2018, 12:10 AM   #12
KY_blkout

I definitely vote for "building" you may think it seems daunting but it's more of assembling vs building in most cases and you can get the same AR for 100 or so less compared to paying for a complete. With that being said if 1K is your range you could score a Colt LE6920 right around that price or a little cheaper, the quality will be there and its about as close to an M4 you can get without a full selector switch.
Old July 9, 2018, 12:14 AM   #13
marine6680

Building an AR still requires tools.

That adds about $200 if you can't borrow them. (Give or take, and going cheap on the tools, tends to make it harder so it's going to be right at the 200 or a bit more)

Building an AR isn't difficult, but there are a few gotchas in there that can mess up a first timer.

And I've looked at building one recently, and to use good quality (not higher end) parts, you are looking at around $700 for a basic setup with free float. Maybe knock a hundred off for a more basic build with clamshell handguards... (Assuming basic magpul MOE furniture)

You may be able to go cheaper with sales and careful buying. But unless you get things in as few of orders as possible... Shipping costs add up quick.

The PSA linked is cheaper on sale, and the AP is only a bit more.

No tools required to be purchased either.

If the guy likes ARs he may choose to build one in the future.

Last edited by marine6680; July 9, 2018 at 12:20 AM.
Old July 9, 2018, 12:23 AM   #14
riffraff

I've got a bunch of Aero stuff now, lots of research and looking around I think it's really nice stuff for reasonable $$. They regularly have sales lately - sign up for their mailer and sooner or later what you want is going to go on sale..

Best bet IMHO (and I do not claim it's an expert opinion but at least educated because I've got 4 Aero rifles) - go with the Aero "enhanced" stuff, which is one area where they are a notch above something like PSA.

For instance their enhanced lowers have a solid trigger guard, flared magwell, and a tension screw to secure the upper should it fit loose (like they often do with any brand), of other things.. Their enhanced uppers secure the guard to the upper receiver with 8 screws, which is more solid than a typical guard that clamps on there.

My recommendation - do not "build" your first rifle rather buy a complete carbine lower (get one with or without the stock, a stock snaps on in 5 seconds without tools), a complete 16 inch upper, then a bolt carrier group and charging handle, and snap it all together. Then you are not trying to fit together parts beyond what normal cleaning requires but are also getting just what you want. Any FFL worth doing business with will be able to order you the Aero lower, just look the part # up online and bring it to them.

As far as which upper - I like the Aero stuff like their part # APAR640231M6, M-LOK, with a rail across the whole top, but not a quad rail. These are lighter than their cheaper "Quantum" stuff but are quite well built and rugged as far as I can tell and are just all around very nice.. As far as lower, see part # APAR600101 - that's their enhanced lower complete w/ stock, but like I said, you can get them without the stock then add a $40 magpul stock to it in 5 seconds.

What I do not recommend you buy is something like many of the cheaper big name brand rifles that has a rail for mounting optics, and a fixed sight. It's just a crappy setup if you ask me - if you want "simple" then get something where the upper is an integral carry handle w/ the sight built in - then you got a very rugged simple rifle.
Old July 9, 2018, 05:10 AM   #15
stagpanther

I build all of mine--but that's mostly because I do "oddball" cartridges that aren't available or mainstream yet. With so many manufacturers and choices out there--manufactured guns are cheaper than ever; just like with hand loading ammo it's getting harder and harder to use cost-savings as a major reason for do-it-yourself. It's just a heck of a lot of fun for me to build it and then develop accurate loads--plus it takes the customer service hassle out of the equation if it doesn't work right.
Old July 9, 2018, 06:06 AM   #16
Mobuck

"I would go to Del-ton and pick out one in their catalog. There is no need to upgrade later. Del-ton has a good reputation, very helpful, and the price is right."

AGREED
I own an unknown number of AR's in a hodge-podge of configurations and calibers but the AR I carry all winter (when I can actually get something out of fur) is a DelTon 16" H-bar carbine. It flat out does the job.

For that "first AR", let me suggest going with the 5.56/.223. Cheaper to shoot, wider ammo selection, and more useful. If you want a 300 later to suppress, make that decision down the road.
Old July 9, 2018, 03:55 PM   #17
PlatinumCore16

I have been very happy with my Ruger, but the fit and finish on the Stag Arms parts I've bought, is a step above the Ruger. If I were to buy one straight up, I would go Stag.
Old July 9, 2018, 06:18 PM   #18
riffraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumCore16 View Post
I have been very happy with my Ruger, but the fit and finish on the Stag Arms parts I've bought, is a step above the Ruger. If I were to buy one straight up, I would go Stag.
I actually have both a Ruger AR556 and a Stag 15, and I agree too - the Stag is a better rifle all around, chrome lined barrel, albeit a standard plastic handguard it's a better built one with a metal heat shield, and the trigger is much better. The Ruger trigger is absolutely terrible, has no lining on the barrel, and has the cheapest guard available on the market - never even shot the upper or removed the BCG to inspect it but my understanding is there is some cheapness to the Ruger BCG too - maybe not a damn thing wrong w/ the Ruger but I would not recommend it unless you bought it dirt cheap as a spare like I did.

That Stag 15 I've got has been extremely reliable and I've beat on it about as much as you can practically with a semi auto. I would not buy a flat top like I've got though, I'd get one w/ the integral carry handle upper - right now I've got a clamp on style carry handle sight but down the road I'm actually gonna change the upper on my stag to make that part integral - will continue to be my reliable beater that requires no batteries and will be a better rifle that way I think.

Still when you go buying any of these "standard" style AR's, you are barely saving any $$ over what you could have picking one w/ a good free float guard. Most have an inferior carbine length gas system versus a mid length (and my understanding is a 16 inch barrel is really supposed to be a mid length, they just make them carbine length for mass produced commercial reasons).. Then the instant you decide you'd like something simple like a vertical grip, or any accessory really, you end up spending more time & $$ to customize your rifle than you would've spent just buying a better one to start.
Old July 9, 2018, 09:51 PM   #19
Venti30

I ended up grabbing a psa built complete 556, 16”, magpull furniture free floating hand guard with magpul iron sights. Has mlock hand guard, seemed like a reasonable starter ar15.

For the first go to hell AR Im happy at 550 plus 80 bucks for sights.

Thanks as always for the insights, I suspect that if I like the platforill build the next one, if I don’t like it,then I’m not out a bunch of depreciation.
Old July 9, 2018, 11:03 PM   #20
doofus47

Nice choice.
As an aside, I was a bit nervous about building my first AR (lower) but it's not rocket science. It is truly a simple-as-possible combat rifle.

Happy Shooting
Old July 9, 2018, 11:10 PM   #21
Venti30

I’m thinking glass set up for max 200 yards range fun, offset sights for cqb drills at range.

So many ways to go it’s amazing.
Old July 9, 2018, 11:45 PM   #22
Water-Man

Colt 6920.

If you want to spend a little less, Aero Precision.
Old July 10, 2018, 02:27 AM   #23
Don Dayacetah

I'd go with a longer 5.56 HBAR barrel, but I prefer that .5 MOA thing.
Old July 10, 2018, 04:21 AM   #24
Mobuck

" offset sights for cqb drills at range. "

Waste of resources, use a low power scope or dot optic and learn to mount the rifle so your eye aligns with the sight. If the target is so close you can't use a 1 or 1.5x optic, you don't need sights anyway.
Old July 10, 2018, 08:56 AM   #25
2ndtimer

If I was buying my first AR, I would take a close look at this:
https://www.cdnnsports.com/smith-wes...l#.W0S6JmhlCUA
Mid length gas system, 1 in 8" twist 5R rifled barrel, Mag-Pul furniture and rear sight. Bargain upgraded AR. For a basic bargain, that $500 PSA looks pretty good, too.