The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 17, 2018, 04:52 PM   #26
xandi

I clean by hand at the moment, by hand with dawn soap and hot water. I then try and scape the primer pocket clean
I also have a coffee can with some rice in it, I was trying out( not working to well) thx for the advice
Old July 17, 2018, 07:51 PM   #27
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
A tough mesh bag and the washing machine . Use the gentle cycle and do it when the wife is gone. I wash my cases when I do a small load of shop rags and old towels I use for gun cleaning. Then run them through the dryer with the rags and towels , leave them in the mesh bag.....makes getting them out easier.
Gary
That could be the most expensive method.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old July 17, 2018, 10:28 PM   #28
marchboom

After depriming I soak the brass in water with a little LemiShine (doesn't take much. I use 1/4 teaspoon per 1 pt of water) and a small squirt of Dawn. I let it soak over nite. Then dry the outsides with a towel and then let them dry via the sun. Then into a tumbler with finely crushed walnut media with NuFinish for 90 mins. Cases look almost like new.

The difference in cost between just clean and clean and looking great is very, very small. Not worth losing sleep over. Go for clean and looking good...you will be glad you did.
RSO
Old July 18, 2018, 10:33 AM   #29
mikld

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounddawg View Post
if you want to go super cheap wipe the outside of the case with a rag and the take a bore brush for a spin in the neck and call it done. A lot of the the BR shooters do one hole groups at 200 yards with that method
I did this for 12 years of reloading before I got a tumbler, except only occasionally used a brush.

The OP said "What are some good low cost options for equipment to clean brass?" and if he meant equipment, then a Harbor Freight rock tumbler and some walnut pet litter is prolly the least expensive, or if he meant method a bucket of water, some vinegar or citric acid, a couple drops of dish soap is as good as any for cleaning brass.

I like to leave a very light film of wax on my tumbled bullets because it retards tarnish, even when I wet tumbled
Old July 18, 2018, 12:22 PM   #30
Doyle

Quote:
I like to leave a very light film of wax on my tumbled bullets because it retards tarnish, even when I wet tumbled
That's why I like using the Armor All car was that has wax in it. It leaves just enough wax to hinder tarnish but it doesn't interfere with the load.
Old July 19, 2018, 05:07 PM   #31
craddleshooter

Funny thing!

Until benchrest shooters started using rock tumblers in the 1970's
and then vibratory cleaners about 10 years later,
folks successfully reloaded match grade ammo for 8 decades without tumbling.

But today, we think it is absolutely vital and critical that you tumble,
and you're exceedingly stupid if you don't own a tumbler.
So many reloaders today cannot even conceive of a time we didn't use them.
Old July 19, 2018, 09:45 PM   #32
ms6852

I use a sonic cleaner, but my brother uses all the socks that are missing the pair by putting about 20-25 pieces per sock in the washing machine using only hot water and dish soap with a little vinegar. He normally puts in about 10 socks filled with shop towels, soaks them for about 20 minutes than turns the washer on .
Old July 20, 2018, 07:30 PM   #33
craddleshooter

Watched a youtube where they used Simple Green. I tried it and it worked pretty good. I would say that method should do well until you get a tumbler. One word of caution, even though it is Simple Green and stated as none toxic, I read an article that you should not get it on your bare skin. Put the brass in the solution of hot water and a table spoon of Simple Green and stir with a sick or wooden spoon for a couple of minutes. Left in the solution too long and it will tarnish brass. (over night, etc.)
Old July 20, 2018, 07:53 PM   #34
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by craddleshooter View Post
Watched a youtube where they used Simple Green. I tried it and it worked pretty good. I would say that method should do well until you get a tumbler. One word of caution, even though it is Simple Green and stated as none toxic, I read an article that you should not get it on your bare skin. Put the brass in the solution of hot water and a table spoon of Simple Green and stir with a sick or wooden spoon for a couple of minutes. Left in the solution too long and it will tarnish brass. (over night, etc.)
Do you think Simple Green smells ...funky ? To me has an off putting odor.
Gary
Old July 23, 2018, 04:23 PM   #35
xandi

So will ss pins with water clean both the inside and the out side of a case?
Old July 23, 2018, 06:15 PM   #36
hounddawg

Quote:
That's why I like using the Armor All car was that has wax in it. It leaves just enough wax to hinder tarnish but it doesn't interfere with the load.
I managed to remember this last week when I was in a parts store. I have not has a chance to try it yet but the price was decent compared to dish detergent
Old July 23, 2018, 08:15 PM   #37
xandi

Hello firing lane
Would a 5 gallon home depot bucket with lid, work as a containment vassal for ss pin tumbling,
Im thinking the set up would would like a baby cement machine, would it work?
Old July 25, 2018, 08:36 PM   #38
GWS

To the O.P.: Lots of ways to do it cheap.....for 35 years I just wiped them off, leaving the tarnish and loaded them.

Then I sprung for a Lyman 2500, cheap 20/40 corncob from Zorro, and a capfull of Dillon polish......bling outside, dark inside.

Then a Thumbers wet tumbler with stainless steel media, lemishine, and Dawn dishwashing liquid.

My how spoiled I've become....

No the wet Thumblers method is not cheap, but it's a one time expense. I don't even remember the hit 3 years ago, but I'll enjoy the reward for many yearsT to come.

Xandi asked, "So will ss pins with water clean both the inside and the out side of a case?" Yessssssir! See below:

I have this funky 7 station press with room for a dedicated powder cop station no matter what I load.....only I've never liked powder cops.....too easy to ignore them unless they beep......and I hate beeping stuff on my tools. So I made a prototype mirror station, and that wouldn't be worth 2 cents if the cases didn't reflect light.

But they do....thanks to stainless steel media wet tumbling. No more squibs or double charges.

The following short, one-handed, & very shaky video of a .308 (7.62 LC) case is a better demonstration of the concept!
No, this is not trick photography, and its not a shallow .45, that's the inside of a .308.

*****Click on "vimeo" if you'd like to see it bigger.*****
----------Once there you can even make it full screen if you want.

Last edited by GWS; July 25, 2018 at 09:12 PM.
Old July 26, 2018, 10:13 AM   #39
joeanybody

5 min in $30 sonic cleaner from harbor freight. 10 min tumble in $30 frankford arsenal tumbler with rice. Works everytime and brass looks new.
Old July 29, 2018, 10:16 AM   #40
Jakeway

I'm surprised only two other people suggested Sonic Cleaner. I got the Harbour Freight one two years ago and it works great. I've been reloading for over 20 years, never bought or used a tumbler of any kind and I probably never will. Sonic Cleaners clean better, faster, and quieter.
Old July 29, 2018, 07:44 PM   #41
Average Joe

Cheapest option ? A bucket of water, and dish washing liquid.
Old July 29, 2018, 08:11 PM   #42
jonb32248

If I clean any of my cases and I say if because I only clean anything is when they get carbon outside of the case. So I use straight vinegar in a gallon jug. Leave them in for 20 min. rinse and let them dry in the sun. They're not shinny but they are clean inside and all carbon is gone.No lead in the air and cheap.99% of the time I don't do anything exceot inspect and wipe off. That was for my 9 mm cases, my 22-250 brass I just wipe off as i inspect them. I don't need pretty brass. It has worked for me this way for 40 yrs.
Old July 29, 2018, 08:30 PM   #43
MoArk Willy

Probably not as vital as some think. But if you reuse brass often you want them as clean as possible so you can inspect it. If you use it a couple of times and then toss the casings it's not a big deal.
That being said...I'm cheap. I use a thumpers tumbler, steel pins, a bit of dawn and lemishine for my cleaning. Deprime first and the casings look new after 2-4 hours of tumbling....often better than new.
But I hate spending money for brass I already have.