The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 14, 2018, 03:51 PM   #26
seeker_two

I have a Blackhawk .357/9mm Convertible. I like using the 9mm cylinder for plinking and the .357 cylinder for magnums only. I don't even bother with .38Spl in it.....keeps the magnum cylinder cleaner.

If you really want a step up, try a revolver in .45ACP. You can go from mild to wild with factory ammo there.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old July 15, 2018, 01:25 PM   #27
sheepman

If you want to shoot cheaper than 9mm you have two choices 22LR or reload. To get close to 22LR in cost you will also have to have a source for free lead and cast your own bullets. Primers will run you about .03 and power .01+ or-, and you should already have brass making 50 rounds about $2.50

If you buy the bullets they will run .10 and up also reloading equipment will be $200.00 and up depending on how much time and laborer you are willing to put into it. A single stage press, dies and power scales will get you started if you buy bullets.

Unless you shoot thousands of rounds a year, reloading my not be for you. I have been reloading and casting bullets for over 25 years and my equipment has long since payed for its self. It also depends on how much you time is worth to you.

I started reloading with a $12.00 Lee reloading kit in 1962 for a 357 Ruger. The same kit is available today but you will earn every round you reload.

hope this helps
Old July 15, 2018, 08:21 PM   #28
Targa

Quote:
I haven’t shot too many Rugers (other than my own) but I really like the looks of the GP100.
Try and get your hands on one to see if you like the feel of it, they are excellent revolvers. I have yet to hear anyone say they regretted buying one.
Old July 15, 2018, 10:40 PM   #29
Jim Watson

You could have a .357 Smith or Ruger Double Action converted to 9mm.
About $250 - $300.
About the price of reloading setup, shoot cheap ammo and save your time.

http://pinnaclehighperformance.com/cylinder-work/

https://www.tkcustom.com/services/machining
Old July 16, 2018, 12:08 AM   #30
Water-Man

Be different. Get another SP101 in .327 Fed Mag.

Is the ammo cheap? Some is, some isn't. It is if you reload.

But, you can shoot 32 ACP, 32 S&W, 32 S&W Long, 32 H&R Magnum and 327 Federal Magnum, all out of the same gun.

And the 327 Fed Mag is no slouch. It will more than hold its own with others and it's accurate.

I have one in an LCR and an SP101. Both are my carry guns.
Old July 16, 2018, 07:23 AM   #31
USSR

Quote:
To get close to 22LR in cost you will also have to have a source for free lead and cast your own bullets. Primers will run you about .03 and power .01+ or-, and you should already have brass making 50 rounds about $2.50
Even buying lead will bring your reloading cost below .22 rimfire. I am able to reload .38 and .45 ammo for about $3.00 per box of 50. This opens up a lot of possibilities beyond the cheap, steel cased 9mm ammo currently found.

Don
Old July 17, 2018, 08:46 AM   #32
Carl the Floor Walker

The Ruger LCR9mm

I just absoutly love shooting this gun. Why?
1) Over three years ago when I started shooting this little Snubbie, I was a terrible shot. I mean bad. The little 1.85" barrel was a challange. And I love a good challange. So this is where the journey starts.
2) I love the feel, the balance of this Snubbie. I love the trigger. Smooth, deliberate, also feels safe to carry.
3) I love the ballistics for a small gun. 9mm Good Power, not the harsh recoil of the 357, high flash, and loud noise. For myself, just the perfect caliber.
4) loading. I love moon clips. Almost makes me hate magazines. Lower cost, easy and fast to use. I can load up 40 clips the night before range day and all set for some fun shooting.
5) Reliability. Some on the internet say that this gun will jump crimp. Yea, it will, on cheap ammo. Get the right ammo and it has been a non issue. It alway's goes bang. A occasional bad primer strike, no problem, it is a revolver.
6) I like tanks. If it is a pocket gun, a micro 9 or a snubbie. I want a tank build quality. I do not want a gun that will fold like a cheap lawn chair at a high volume of shooting. The Ruger has LCR9mm has exceeded all my expectations. It is a tank.
7) Accuracy. Yes believe it or not a snubbie can be a very accurate firearm. The gun will perform. It is my opinion it is the shooter that is not accurate. Yes, three years ago, I proved that I was not accurate with this gun as a new shooter. Now I can quicky nail head shots at 10 yds with no problem. All a matter of disipline and frequent, moderate training. I am sure there are many other snubbie shooters out there that are a whole lot better than myself.
8)Easy to carry. Even though this is a 17oz gun, it is easy to carry. I will quickly pick up this gun and put a moon clip in it before going out. No need to rack the gun and check it. Just load a moon clip. I love to carry Apex in a pair of jeans, on my hip in a close body holster, or even in my pocket.
9) Recoil---When I first started shooting this gun, I did feel he was on the harsh side. No where near a 357 of course, not even close. But this side of pleasant before recoil becomes just unpleasant, not fun. NOW- I love the recoil. I have become use to it. And now it is just darn fun to shoot. Enough recoil to make the gun feel alive, but easy to shoot. Yes, actually a recoil you can love.
10) Hickcock45 when reviewing a small revolver said and I will paraphase ' I love shooting them, just something about them. And probably my most fun shooting."
By the way, I also own the Ruger Blackhawk 9mm/357 which I love to shoot.

Read this review comparing the LCR9mm to the 38

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2...t-9mm-for.html

Ballistic comparison of the 38 and 9mm Check out the chart comparison

http://www.ballistics101.com/9mm_vs_.38special.php

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; July 17, 2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old July 17, 2018, 10:09 AM   #33
stephen426

I think the first question you should ask yourself is "What is your intended purpose for that gun?". Is it for concealed carry, home defense, range toy, or hunting? Most guns can cover several uses, but a 9mm is not an ideal hunting cartridge. Also, what will the new gun do that your current gun doesn't? I don't see the point in duplication unless you already have a vast collection.

With all that said, I'd say go for the GP100 in .357 magnum and pick up ammo when you can find a good deal. Mine is a tack driver with .357 mag, but groupings for .38 special aren't as good. I'm not sure how multi-caliber guns would really work in practice.
Old July 17, 2018, 11:21 AM   #34
rc

Go for the Gp100 in 357

A 357 revolver is the MOST VERSATILE HANDGUN YOU CAN BUY. You can find cheaper ammo in 38 special and magnums online. You will pay more for ammo but there is a significant increase with 357 in performance over a 9mm. If you want to stick with 9mm get a CZ75.

BTW skip the steel cased stuff. Brass is reloadable and can also be sold. Reloading 357 is pretty cheap compared with factory.

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pisto...57-magnum-ammo

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pisto...8-special-ammo
Old July 17, 2018, 12:10 PM   #35
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc View Post
A 357 revolver is the MOST VERSATILE HANDGUN YOU CAN BUY. You can find cheaper ammo in 38 special and magnums online. You will pay more for ammo but there is a significant increase with 357 in performance over a 9mm. If you want to stick with 9mm get a CZ75.

BTW skip the steel cased stuff. Brass is reloadable and can also be sold. Reloading 357 is pretty cheap compared with factory.

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pisto...57-magnum-ammo

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pisto...8-special-ammo
Actually 9mm is not far from the 357. And again, in a small gun sure do not need the extremely high recoil, muzzle flash and noise. And for myself, training with the same ammo I will CCW means more than just power. I can nail head shots with 9mm on a Snubbie, 357 is a whole different ball game. Accuracy to me is important.
Again, depends as stephen426 said. What are you going to use the gun for. Hunting, I agree, I would maybe choose the 357. But maybe even move up.
9mm is a excellent choice and yes, versatile from light loads up to Plus P. Many variety's and hard to beat the availability and cost.

Yes. the CZ75 is a great gun, but there are a lot of great Semi auto 9mm's out there. And again, what are your going to use it for. How much does one weigh over a Snubbie?
And not every one reloads. I do, but not as much as I would like because of time etc. I doubt all will buy a 357. knowing they will have to start reloading as well.

But never say never. I would love to have the Kimber 6. Not to mention this baby in 9mm.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; July 17, 2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old July 17, 2018, 08:53 PM   #36
mgulino

I like my Ruger GP-100 (Stainless with a 6" barrel). Picked it up cheap at a pawn shop because the rear sight was broken. 10 bucks for a replacement. Have had it for about 5 years, and I reload for it. Lots of powders and bullet weights to select from.
Old July 17, 2018, 09:51 PM   #37
VW3

Well here she is boys. I found a good deal on a Ruger GP100 6" Talo Edition. I love the way the unfluted cylinder looks. Goes well with my SP101 in 9mm too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4037(1)2.jpg (37.1 KB, 14 views)
Old July 17, 2018, 09:55 PM   #38
Model12Win

You'd enjoy a Blackhawk .357/9mm convertible. This one would be ideal since it's a Flat Top:

https://ruger.com/products/newModelB...eets/5246.html
Old July 17, 2018, 10:16 PM   #39
Targa

Very nice VW3. That’s the one I would have picked as well, I like the unfulted cylinder.
Old July 17, 2018, 10:39 PM   #40
jmstr

Very nice addition!

If saving money is your goal- I'd recommend a GP100 in .22lr next!

Last edited by jmstr; July 17, 2018 at 10:40 PM. Reason: saw purchase was made
Old July 17, 2018, 10:45 PM   #41
rc

In 4 and 6 inch barrels, 9mm isn't even in the same ballpark. I agree in a snubbie, the difference isn't enough to justify the extra blast but OP wanted a bigger revolver. In a 6 inch barrel you are pushing 158 grains of lead from between 1250 to 1400fps. Try that with a 9mm.....
Old July 18, 2018, 12:01 AM   #42
TruthTellers

What's the intended purpose for this larger revolver? Just range use and occasional open carry? If yes to either, go with the Blackhawk. A 6.5 inch would be a powerhouse with Buffalo Bore .357, yet easy on the wallet with the 9mm cylinder. I think a .45 Colt/ACP Blackhawk convertible would do you better as the .45 Colt can be loaded really powerful, much more than .357, but the .45 ACP will shoot just as well, if not better than the .45 Colt will.

A SA revolver doesn't mean you're unarmed, especially a Ruger. Ruger makes really good single actions for the money.
Old July 18, 2018, 12:20 PM   #43
stephen426

Nice looking gun VW3. I have a stainless GP100 as well, but mine has the fluted cylinder.