The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 12, 2018, 07:26 AM   #51
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
I was attempting to discern if it was a qualified opinion or an unqualified opinion. I have no use for unqualified opinions.
Ascertaining how many "gunfights" one has "been in" cannot lead on to a meaningful assessment on that subject.
Old July 12, 2018, 07:35 AM   #52
Fishbed77

Quote:
While some of what you say is true, still hard to beat the incredible reliability of the revolver.
Not as hard as you think.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/r...y-reliability/

When a revolver malfunctions, it is typically out of the fight. When a semi-auto malfunctions, remedial action can almost always bring it back into action.

Of course the merits of one versus the other can be argued ad infinitum, but history has pretty much resolved which is the more effective weapon.
Old July 12, 2018, 01:03 PM   #53
458winshooter

Gen 4's

It would seem to me that they will be retiring a lot of other semi-autos as well if Gen 4's are the only Glocks that are to be used.I would think they would have gathered many older Glocks in the past several years.
Old July 13, 2018, 07:11 AM   #54
Nanuk

Quote:
Ascertaining how many "gunfights" one has "been in" cannot lead on to a meaningful assessment on that subject.
Maybe, maybe not. But if someone has never, ever been there then their opinion on what works in that situation is worth very little. To say that the ability to place shots does not count (to paraphrase) is proof enough, "Good enough" only counts in the movies where the fights are choreographed.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Last edited by Nanuk; July 13, 2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old July 13, 2018, 07:27 AM   #55
Nanuk

Quote:
When a revolver malfunctions, it is typically out of the fight. When a semi-auto malfunctions, remedial action can almost always bring it back into action.
Are thinking of a revolver malfunction or an ammo malfunction? Revolver malfunctions are few and far between.

Quote:
Of course the merits of one versus the other can be argued ad infinitum, but history has pretty much resolved which is the more effective weapon.
I am effective with either, these days I generally choose a 357 or 44 mag to carry due to the terminal effect. Fantasy scenarios aside, revolvers properly run can solve just about any situation in the civilian world. Proper tactics.

I have carried each into harms way for decades.
Old July 13, 2018, 08:23 AM   #56
Roamin_Wade

They can make them use semi-auto’s on their hips but I’m almost certain they aren’t using LCP’s, and the like, as back-ups on their ankle. I sell guns for a living at an FFA store and I always steer the ladies to the revolver display cabinet. Reason being is this...they won’t be using it to go into “combat”, they will simply be getting them and their family out of a bad situation and nothing does that more simply than a revolver. Plus, even the cheapest made revolver (Charter Arms, etc.) is more reliable than any Sig, Glock or Colt is. Yes, even the venerable 1911 will malfunction or be too complicated to use in a dynamic situation.

If you don’t mind, I’m new in here and I can’t find the “make a new post” button. How do I make a new post? Please and thank you! I’m a bit wore out on FB so I’m going to be in this group. Way more civil and way more good information.
Old July 13, 2018, 08:42 AM   #57
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
But if someone has never, ever been there then their opinion on what works in that situation is worth very little.
So, you are contending that the opinions of the vast majority of law enforcement officers and combat shooting instructors is worth very little.

....and by extension, that if someone happens to have been involved in an armed confrontation, he or she somehow has a more valuable opinion.

Ludicrous.

There are far too many variables in armed encounters for a few actual encounters to teach much at all.

The same holds true for air combat, for handling nuclear power system malfunctions properly, for reacting to emergencies in the piloting of an aircraft, and to a host of other things.
Old July 13, 2018, 11:46 AM   #58
K_Mac

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. But if someone has never, ever been there then their opinion on what works in that situation is worth very little. To say that the ability to place shots does not count (to paraphrase) is proof enough, "Good enough" only counts in the movies where the fights are choreographed.
Baloney! Good enough as related to combat accuracy is a reasonable objective. My goal is to quickly put multiple rounds on target when practicing for self defense. A 6" group on target is good enough. I adjust speed and distance accordingly.

Nanuk, your experience gives you a different perspective, and I respect and value your input. Lack of experience in combat does not necessarily mean others have nothing to add to this conversation though. The line between confident and arrogant is very thin...

Last edited by K_Mac; July 13, 2018 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old July 13, 2018, 06:50 PM   #59
Nanuk

Quote:
So, you are contending that the opinions of the vast majority of law enforcement officers and combat shooting instructors is worth very little.

....and by extension, that if someone happens to have been involved in an armed confrontation, he or she somehow has a more valuable opinion.

Ludicrous.

There are far too many variables in armed encounters for a few actual encounters to teach much at all.

The same holds true for air combat, for handling nuclear power system malfunctions properly, for reacting to emergencies in the piloting of an aircraft, and to a host of other things.
OldMarksman is offline Report Post Quick reply to this message
You sure are going to a lot of trouble calling me out for calling someone else out.

And yes, If you have never been in a fight how do you know that your method will allow you to prevail? Understanding that every fight is different of course but experience with training counts for more than academics when it comes to fighting, whether it is a gun fight or a fist fight. Don't believe me, watch some good street fighters in action.
Old July 14, 2018, 07:12 AM   #60
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
And yes, If you have never been in a fight how do you know that your method will allow you to prevail?
Having been in one fight, or even in several , is unlikely to give you such knowledge.

There are far too many variables, and far to many permutations of same. You need experience in numerous different scenarios. It is impossible to gain that experience in gunfighting.

Or in landing an airplane in crosswinds in the Andes once or twice, or in the turbulence form a large aircraft, or in reading to clear air turbulence or wind shear.

Or in engaging in one or two air to air combat encounters.

How? Via simulation, in dozens of different, realistic scenarios involving the unexpected.

That no only provides relevant experience and an ability tor react, but it is also used to develop and evaluate tactics.

And in the case of combat aircraft, to establish the operational requirements in the first place.