The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 20, 2018, 11:59 PM   #1
TruthTellers

Need input on a single shot shotgun I want

Been wanting a Midland Arms shotgun since I first heard about them last year. For those unfamiliar, here's a few videos about them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ee3bc74rBg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuECikgWESU

I can't decide if I'd rather have one in .410 or 20 gauge. I already have a 12 gauge o/u, I don't need another break action 12 gauge, and given that these are designed for hiking and backpacking, I feel the smaller bore is better.

Which is making me lean to .410 as that is as light as you can get in a shotgun. Also, I have a .410/.45 derringer so I have .410 ammo available that can be used in both.

I do not own anything in 20 gauge.

Intended use is as a backpacking shotgun. May be used to get a rabbit or fend off a rabid animal or predator (think wolves, dogs, etc.)
Old September 21, 2018, 05:01 PM   #2
Scorch

Garcia used to import a similar Italian-made shotgun back in the 1960s through the 80s called the Bronco.

Rossi used to make a similar shotgun back in the 1980s or 90s.

Folding, lightweight, kinda cool, but got lost in the AR/AK and Benelli/Remington/Mossberg arguments. I will tell you they kick like a mother, though.
Old September 21, 2018, 05:15 PM   #3
Blindstitch

I would get a 20 gauge. Cheaper ammo, a bit more firepower, and the barrel thickness cant be much more. With that being said you could also get a 410 chamber adapter. https://www.gunadapters.com/20-gauge...venger-series/
Old September 21, 2018, 07:36 PM   #4
1MoreFord

20GA without a doubt. .410's are niche guns.
Old September 21, 2018, 07:58 PM   #5
FITASC

410s against wolves? Not really the best choice except for MAYBE some slugs. In that case, you'd be better off with a 10mm Glock; even lighter and smaller for backpacking.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 21, 2018, 08:04 PM   #6
Bimus

Has any one fired the Aguila mini shot shells in a Midland Arms 12 gauge ?
Old September 21, 2018, 08:21 PM   #7
Kvon2

Quote:
410s against wolves? Not really the best choice except for MAYBE some slugs.
there are some 000 buck .410 shells out there that I wouldn't hesitate to use. If the gun shoots a tight pattern I think .410 could easily do what the OP needs.
Old September 21, 2018, 08:28 PM   #8
FITASC

AT VERY close range; personally, I wouldn't want to let a pack of wolves get that close.......
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 22, 2018, 12:20 AM   #9
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvon2 View Post
there are some 000 buck .410 shells out there that I wouldn't hesitate to use. If the gun shoots a tight pattern I think .410 could easily do what the OP needs.
That's what I was going to use, 3 inch 000 Buck.

The Midland has removable choke tubes too, no reason a pattern wouldn't be good enough.
Old September 22, 2018, 12:22 AM   #10
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimus View Post
Has any one fired the Aguila mini shot shells in a Midland Arms 12 gauge ?
I've shot them in my Mossberg o/u HS12, they're really comfortable to shoot, but the 12 gauge is heavier than I'd like and again, I have the Mossberg and will probably be getting a Maverick 88 in the future, so no interest in a single shot 12 gauge.
Old September 22, 2018, 01:01 PM   #11
T. O'Heir

The .410 is for experts. Far less shot, of any size, than a 20 gauge. A whole 3 pellets of 000 buck.
That Midland Arms thing is a big kid's toy. Stashed in a back pack, it'd be far too slow to get working to be of any use.
"...used to get a rabbit..." Lotta that will depend on where you are. There is such a thing as a closed rabbit hunting season in most places. Ditto for wolves and other fur bearers. If you shoot somebody's dog, you could and probably will end up in court being sued.
"...have the Mossberg...getting a Maverick 88..." The latter is exactly the same gun as a Mossberg M500.
"...Aguila mini shot shells..." Not enough shot in them either. 7 pellets of 4 Buck. 4 of #1 Buck.
Old September 22, 2018, 03:16 PM   #12
TruthTellers

Quote:
A whole 3 pellets of 000 buck
Really? Only 3 pellets?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...ition-410-bore

Quote:
The latter is exactly the same gun as a Mossberg M500.
Really? Exactly the same gun? Safeties are in two different locations and the forend doesn't come off with the 88.

Quote:
Not enough shot in them either. 7 pellets of 4 Buck. 4 of #1 Buck.
Really? Not enough shot? Is it not enough pellets or the pellets are too small for you? You may want to watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaR1EVybUgc
Old September 22, 2018, 06:44 PM   #13
Kvon2

In my opinion the .410 is largely underappreciated. Unfortunately (supply and demand I suppose) it is also pretty expensive.

I had a .410 that I patterned at 40 yards with the federal 3 inch 000 buck loads and every one of the pellets was inside the torso of my target. That'll work for me.

The only reason I would lean towards 20 gauge is because ammo can probably be had a good bit cheaper.
Old September 22, 2018, 10:45 PM   #14
TruthTellers

Quote:
The only reason I would lean towards 20 gauge is because ammo can probably be had a good bit cheaper.
Yes and no. Just a quick look at MidwayUSA the Federal 000 Buck for .410 is a bit less than #2 or #3 Buck 20 gauge, but birdshot .410 is a bit more than 20. Slugs are about the same price.