The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 20, 2018, 08:13 PM   #51
hammie

@HighValleyRanch: Thanks. I looked "EDC" up in the acronym list here, but couldn't find it. All I could think of was something about erectile dysfunction, and maybe the original poster was referring to stove-piping. Now everything makes sense.
Old September 20, 2018, 09:26 PM   #52
Leaf

Nothing wrong with simply carrying a blade for EDC as long as you recognize your limitations.
Old September 21, 2018, 06:14 AM   #53
OhioGuy

To the OP I guess I'd ask you to rank what's most important to you. Or add to the list. Is it:

- A specifically DA/SA trigger action because you prefer THAT action (rules out every slim 9mm except XDE)
- Ability to holster the gun while immobilizing the trigger for safety (rules in Glock Gadget, XDS grip safety)
- Greatest possible discretion when carrying (may necessitate .380 or something especially small like Kahr CM9)
- Other priorities?

As the thread has shown, highly concealable DA/SA guns in 9mm are nearly non existent. Even the XDE is long in the slide and grip. From what you have described so far, the G43 with Gadget or Springfield XDS with grip safety may be your best options. I've run the XDS a fair amount and it's a really excellent shooter. The new Mod.2 version in 9mm has a better grip, and hooray, they've dropped the words "Grip Zone" from the plastic!!!
Old September 21, 2018, 11:15 AM   #54
dean1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24 View Post
Interesting, was this because the gun was too heavy for your belt? If so, you may have been able to save money with a better belt. I routinely have carried 1911s, a 229 and now a 226 in a Vedder Light Tuck and a RDR instructor type belt with no issues.

Then again if you've found what works for you, it's all good.
I bought a thick belt to support

The P229 is a thick and heavy gun.... too thick to carry (for me) with the really good options out there

To me...... it ended up not being worth the extra hassle of having to pull out the Crossbreed holster and dress around the gun

My M&P40C fits VERY well in a tuckable remora with no clips

I just tuck it and go....... i have become very accurate with the M&P

I also found that when I went back and forth between DA/SA and striker fired, my accuracy suffered.

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old September 21, 2018, 11:20 AM   #55
dean1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondhgraham View Post
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned a Bersa handgun,,,
Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact Pro series.

I have one and it's a very nice handgun,,,
I've heard people call it a poor man's RAMI.

I have two friends who own RAMIs and to tell the truth,,,
I think the Bersa is a much nicer handgun.

Mine is the 13 round 9mm version,,,
One can also buy 10 round mags if needed.

The gun is not skinny so to speak,,,
But it is very ergonomic and nestles very well into my palm.

For you lefties out there,,,
The controls are fully ambidextrous.

I'm not saying it's the finest 9mm out there,,,
But you would be doing yourself a favor to at least handle one.

Aarond

I did mention it....... I tried to get the UC40 to be a comfortable carry

IMHO..... (for me)...... 1.45 inch thick is too thick for comfortable IWB, CCW

I also found the recoil out of the UC40 to be higher than I thought it would

I shoot M&P40C and Shield in 40, P229, P226 (40's) as well as a K40....... The UC40 seemd to have much higher felt recoil.... My wife wouldnt shoot it

Old September 21, 2018, 03:08 PM   #56
scoobysnacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrawIII View Post
is there a thin, "easier" to conceal DA/SA gun that I haven't thought of? Is there something else out there that I might like?

Here are the DA/SA guns I've owned:
Sig 226 - Too big
Sig 220 - Too big
Beretta 92 - Too big
H&K P30 V3 - Didn't like the trigger
H&K P2000 V3 - Same
H&K USP9c - Too big
FN High Power - Too big
FN FNX - Safety latch dug into my hand
Various 1911s (I know they're not DA/SA, but if I don't mention it here, someone will recommend one) - Too heavy for their given ammo capacity
CZ PCR - Basically the same as the P01
Walther P99 - Lacks an external hammer

I've considered:
- Various smaller P series Sigs, but the weight/thickness just seems excessive on a lot of them.
- Beretta PX4 seems to get good press, but 1.4" thick is a lot.
- CZ P07 is also well liked, but seems like it's even bigger/heavier than the P01
- Springfield XDE - no go on the "grip zone"
- CZ Rami D - shot a friends Rami and the trigger was really weird. Is that normal for it to be so different from a P01?
- I've considered throwing a "gadget" on one of my Glocks to use that to meet the "thumbing the holster" need. Anyone have experience with this solution?

That's where I'm at. I'm wondering what else might be out there that I haven't thought of or just prematurely overlooked.

Ps. Please don't make this a thread about carrying with a loaded chamber. I know that's preferable, that's why I started this thread.
PPs. Not looking for a 380. Let's use 9mm as the minimum.
Looking at your list, and requirements...

I've got something that comes to mind;
S&W 3rd Gen, 69xx or aluminum-frame fullsize (915 or 5903). The fullsize are 15 rd capacity, 4 inch barrel, and noticeably smaller than the equivalent Sig/Beretta/CZ fullsize. My 915 isn't 'compact', but is trim and well-contained. It really isn't much larger in the hand than, say, a Makarov.The Delrin factory grips keep things narrow.

The 69xx will be even smaller.
Old September 21, 2018, 06:15 PM   #57
HighValleyRanch

That 915 looks pretty nice. Is it single stack?
Old September 21, 2018, 08:03 PM   #58
hogwiley

There arent a lot of options here. Fortunately one of them is nearly perfect for your requirements. The p30sk. Da/sa with a hammer. Small and light. Plus its hk so you know its reliable. Decent capacity, the same as a glock 26. It might be a little thick but for a hammer fired gun its as small as youll find.

The price isnt too bad by hk standards, around 600 and some change, which is cheaper than a sig p225 i think.

If you dont need a hammer theres the walther p99c.
Old September 21, 2018, 11:56 PM   #59
Water-Man

I vote for the Beretta PX4 because I feel it's the best of the bunch.
Old September 22, 2018, 01:43 AM   #60
bbbbryan

Gonna have to +1 for the Rami. I’d prefer a single stack for a thinner frame, but it otherwise checks off all the boxes for me. Plus, there’s a good aftermarket for it. Here’s the Rami among a few other carry options I have. It’s the only DA/SA of the bunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 22, 2018, 08:46 AM   #61
gregstudeny

I have a cz70 and cz75 pcr and cz75bd that I occasionally carry20180828_055135.jpeg20180825_204355.jpeg

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Old September 22, 2018, 11:04 AM   #62
Waspinator

Quote:
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned a Bersa handgun,,,
Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact Pro series.

I have one and it's a very nice handgun,,,
I've heard people call it a poor man's RAMI.

I have two friends who own RAMIs and to tell the truth,,,
I think the Bersa is a much nicer handgun.

Mine is the 13 round 9mm version,,,
One can also buy 10 round mags if needed.

The gun is not skinny so to speak,,,
But it is very ergonomic and nestles very well into my palm.

For you lefties out there,,,
The controls are fully ambidextrous.

I'm not saying it's the finest 9mm out there,,,
But you would be doing yourself a favor to at least handle one.

Aarond
I was going to also say look at a Bersa. I have the Thunder UC, 9mm as well (10 round version, since I'm in CT).

They recently discontinued the Thunder Pro Ultra Compact series and came out with an updated version. The new compact series is the TPRC and has a better trigger (I thought the Thunder Pro UC9 had a nice trigger as it was,so this would be even better). They also changed the grip geometry a bit (got rid of the finger grooves). The also updated the slide.

Here is the older Thunder Pro Ultra Compact series:
https://bersa.eagleimportsinc.com/be...act-pro-series

Here is the new TPRC series:
https://bersa.eagleimportsinc.com/be...ms/tprc-series

I think they are worth a look. I did the same thing when shopping for a DA/SA 9mm for carry and the Bersa won out over the RAMI for me. I had the money for either and the shop had both.. I walked out with the Bersa. Much easier to rack the slide, break down is the easiest of any pistol I've owned and it has been reliable.
Old September 22, 2018, 07:56 PM   #63
dean1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
I was going to also say look at a Bersa. I have the Thunder UC, 9mm as well (10 round version, since I'm in CT).

They recently discontinued the Thunder Pro Ultra Compact series and came out with an updated version. The new compact series is the TPRC and has a better trigger (I thought the Thunder Pro UC9 had a nice trigger as it was,so this would be even better). They also changed the grip geometry a bit (got rid of the finger grooves). The also updated the slide.

Here is the older Thunder Pro Ultra Compact series:
https://bersa.eagleimportsinc.com/be...act-pro-series

Here is the new TPRC series:
https://bersa.eagleimportsinc.com/be...ms/tprc-series

I think they are worth a look. I did the same thing when shopping for a DA/SA 9mm for carry and the Bersa won out over the RAMI for me. I had the money for either and the shop had both.. I walked out with the Bersa. Much easier to rack the slide, break down is the easiest of any pistol I've owned and it has been reliable.
1.45 inch is still pretty dang thick......

For their new gun

Old September 22, 2018, 10:48 PM   #64
Don Dayacetah

Depends. If you're looking for something new, I can't help you. I'm sure there's (not really) a lot of nice new stuff out there, but I DNK what it is.

If you want to go old school, 2 of my favorite carries are CZ70, and a S&W6906. But
they're solid metal, and they might not cost you enough money.
Old September 23, 2018, 03:53 AM   #65
Satchmoeddie

Anyone who says the Browning Fabrique Hi Power is too big is going to hate the S&W 59 series, trust me! In comparison, carrying a 5904 or 6904 was like carrying a brick around. The Compat PX4 Beretta with stealth decocking levers brings that gun down in size to manageable. A neat little oddball gun made to true military standards from true USA, NATO and any other high military standard of materials, and build quality, is the old Daewoo DP51/K5 ROK Army service pistol. For the Koreans (South Koreans) it is considered an officer's full sized sidearm, but by our standards, it really is a bit smallish. The grip, which is the hardest part to conceal is a tad shorter than a normal military pistol's grip. S&W 59 series magazines will fit with very minor modifications. A company called Lionheart is selling these again now. Do be aware that the safety is easier to accidentally bump off than on, so carrying one cocked is a bad idea, but it is a DA/SA. I am not of the opinion that in my normal everyday daily routine I am ever going to need more than 5 or 6 rounds, so revolvers are fine too, for EDC. If I am going to, ohhh, let's say drive down a farm road close to the Mexican border, I might load out with the Sig Sauer P226R, P229R or P228R and a minimum of 2 extra magazines, and at night, I would probably want at least pistol caliber carbine, possibly an AR and definitely a good pump shotgun, along with an extra person to watch my back. For everyday use, a Glock 43, Walther PPS, Sig P365, H&K P7, Colt Detective Special, S&W J or K frame, are all just fine. Any slim single stack compact or sub compact, or small revolver is sufficient. You have about a 1 in 300 chance of ever needing the gun, and a 1 in 10,000 chance of ever having an out and out firefight. I definitely wouldn't trust a Kimber with my life. I am waiting another year on the Sig P365. BEST ADVICE: NEVER EVER BUY ANY BRAND NEW DESIGN OF ANYONE'S GUN! I don't give a ____ if The Ghost of John Moses Browning made the gun himself, in a machine shop designed by God. Wait at least a year or two, for the manufacturer to sort out any problems. (Unless you actually enjoy mailing guns back and forth to factories, for "voluntary upgrades") The defective gun can't protect me from Glock's factory in Georgia, or Sig's factory in New Hampshire.
Old September 23, 2018, 06:54 AM   #66
OhioGuy

From what everyone's posted, and the things I've shot, I think the options are basically in two categories:

1. The Springfield XDE, which is the only slim singlestack DA/SA I'm aware of in current production. But the grip and muzzle lengths are both longer than most striker-fired single stacks (G43, XDS, Shield, etc.)

2. Subcompact DA/SA doublestacks that would include the Beretta PX4 SC, H&K P30sk, CZ RAMI and the Bersa above. If DA/SA isn't a strict requirement, but extra safety when holstering is, I supposed the Springfield XD Mod.2 SC could work -- I had one for a while, it's quite compact and definitely thinner (at least less rounded) than the other options here.

#1 will conceal well because of its thinness, as all the #2 options are pretty thick and kind of pudgy around the slide and grip. However the #2 options have shorter grip lengths.

I often carry a Walther PPS M2 with the 8 round extended mag. Dimensionally that's almost identical to the XDE. I carry AIWB in a holster with a "claw" attachment that pulls the long grip into my body, and I can conceal that rig under a light t-shirt all day long. I could not do that as easily with a double-stack gun. Note: neither would print and look like a gun under my shirt but the double stack is just thick enough that it makes a lump whereas the single-stack does not.

My final recommendation -- worth every dollar you paid for it!!! -- is try to find an XDE to shoot. It's really an underrated option, IMO.
Old September 23, 2018, 07:15 AM   #67
Nanuk

Why not carry a DAO J frame then?
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old September 24, 2018, 05:26 AM   #68
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuk View Post
Why not carry a DAO J frame then?
That's a totally legit option right there...

I don't have much experience with revolvers but they're pretty small and the grips conceal very well -- stout trigger is a hedge against user error. I was able to land some decent hits out to 10 yards with one that had a LaserGrip on it.
Old September 24, 2018, 08:50 AM   #69
jackstrawIII

Quote:
- A specifically DA/SA trigger action because you prefer THAT action (rules out every slim 9mm except XDE)
- Ability to holster the gun while immobilizing the trigger for safety (rules in Glock Gadget, XDS grip safety)
- Greatest possible discretion when carrying (may necessitate .380 or something especially small like Kahr CM9)
- Other priorities?
So here's my priority list exactly:

1. I live in NY, which is a concealed carry state. Bad news if your pistol prints and the wrong person sees it. So yes, discretion is huge.

2. Being able to immobilize the trigger while holstering is my second priority. I do a lot of timed drills involving drawing from the holster while practicing. I get nervous blindly holstering my firearm without some way of blocking the trigger. I know a safety would potentially solve this, but I'm not a big fan of safeties since I never practice with them. I guess I could change this if I had to.

3. Having a decocking DA/SA trigger is my preference. As mentioned previously, I don't really like safeties so the longer first trigger pull serves as somewhat of a "do I really want to pull the trigger right now" safety.

4. And I also really prefer a frame-mounted decocker, ala CZ, instead of the slide mounted type on the older Gen 3 Smiths. I have short, stubby thumbs... what else can I say.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Looks like I'm going to have to compromise somewhere... which I guess is what life is all about haha.
Old September 25, 2018, 07:51 AM   #70
chemcal

along with my p250 sc, i also carry a p99AS; really like them both for trigger control.
Old September 25, 2018, 09:22 AM   #71
OhioGuy

I'm sure you're speaking loosely, but there's no reason to "blindly" put a gun back into its holster

Based on your priorities above I really suspect your best two options are P30sk (compact, excellent reliability, but thick) and XDE (thin, decent capacity for single stack).

That's the best I've got
Old September 25, 2018, 08:01 PM   #72
gregstudeny

Cz75 pcr or
Cz70

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Old September 26, 2018, 12:53 PM   #73
MisterCrabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrawIII View Post
So here's my priority list exactly:

1. I live in NY, which is a concealed carry state. Bad news if your pistol prints and the wrong person sees it. So yes, discretion is huge.

2. Being able to immobilize the trigger while holstering is my second priority. I do a lot of timed drills involving drawing from the holster while practicing. I get nervous blindly holstering my firearm without some way of blocking the trigger. I know a safety would potentially solve this, but I'm not a big fan of safeties since I never practice with them. I guess I could change this if I had to.

3. Having a decocking DA/SA trigger is my preference. As mentioned previously, I don't really like safeties so the longer first trigger pull serves as somewhat of a "do I really want to pull the trigger right now" safety.

4. And I also really prefer a frame-mounted decocker, ala CZ, instead of the slide mounted type on the older Gen 3 Smiths. I have short, stubby thumbs... what else can I say.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Looks like I'm going to have to compromise somewhere... which I guess is what life is all about haha.

Check out the xde.
Old September 28, 2018, 09:03 PM   #74
jackstrawIII

Well... I stopped in a pawn shop a few cities over while on the road for some meetings today and they had a P30SK in great shape. Haggled price a bit... and bought it. It's a little thicker than I wanted, but I liked the trigger (at least in dry fire).

Will get to range at some point here and let you all know if this is THE solution, or another on the long list of "Guns I Used to Own."
Old September 29, 2018, 08:35 AM   #75
subhuman

Sig P 239

Tags
advice , ccw , da/sa , glock