The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 10, 2013, 08:24 PM   #51
Kevin_d77

I.
Will.
Not.
Comply.

EVER!!!
Old November 10, 2013, 08:53 PM   #52
jfrey

My FIL has several steel pistols of the S&W brand and loves to shoot them. He wasn't much on them "plastic guns" but I finally talked him into getting a G19. I worked it over some like I do all my Glocks and now it is all he wants to shoot.
Old November 10, 2013, 08:55 PM   #53
Joe_Pike

Quote:
I.Will.Not.Comply.EVER!!!
Resistance is futile.
Old November 10, 2013, 09:05 PM   #54
TunnelRat

Quote:
I saw folks fumbling around with guns with conventional safeties and decockers. Who needs that!
Most of my guns, all but one these days, have a decocker. I've never fumbled with it or found it awkward. But I learned on guns with decockers.

I will say one thing. This thread motivated me to pick up that used Gen 3 Glock 19 I saw.
Maintain situational awareness
Old November 10, 2013, 09:07 PM   #55
elDiabloLoco

Quote:
First a little bit about myself, so that there are no misconceptions about my expertise in reviewing firearms. I have none.
Interesting. Thanks for taking the time to pixel-ate your experience. There are lots of reviews out there by Block lovers, Block haters, and everyone in between, but very few from a 'Block Noob' perspective.

I love everything about a Block.....except shooting one. Been that way since 1989 or 1990 when one of my friends got his first G17. [A purchase which made a really nice 5906 surplus to his needs.]

Gonna go look up a gen 4 to see if I can finally quit calling it Block. Everything prior has been unpleasant. Almost as bad as the Beretta 92 - too big in the wrong places. Just looking for a change of pace......
Old November 12, 2013, 12:47 AM   #56
batmann

Your experience shooting with the G19 is the same as mine with my G22. I had made up my mind years ago that I would never own one, but finally decided my thinking was wrong after several friends kept telling to get one. I did and have never looked back.
I have close to a 1000 rounds through mine and it has never missed a beat. It is light, simple, reliable and parts are everywhere. I did buy a Lone Wolf 9MM conversion barrel along with some G 17 mags and I now have what amounts to two pistols.
Great pistol!
Old November 12, 2013, 01:24 AM   #57
Frank Ettin
Staff

I just came upon this thread. Great review, Sparts.

Strange things must be happening in the Cosmos, because I also recently bought a Glock 19, and I completely agree with you (right down to being an old[er], [more] overweight lawyer).

I've favored 1911s in my shooting life and have trained with and carried them a bunch. I also, a few years ago, became very enamored of the H&K P7M8. But I had heretofore resisted Gaston's siren call.

So one Saturday a few months ago, my group was teaching its monthly basic handgun class. We hold it at an indoor range with a gun shop attached. I'd actually been toying for some time with the idea of picking up a Glock 19, and the shop had one in stock. So while another instructor was doing the lecture on semi-autos, I was buying the Glock 19. And of course since most of the other instructors are also Gunsite alumnae and 1911 adherents, I've been treated to a fair amount of grief.

Some further comments:
  • I'm not fond of the standard Glock sights. I find them too busy. I generally like a plain black rear sight with a bright bead front. So I bought a rear sight and brass bead front sight from 10-8 Precision and installed them. They work very well, but I need to get something like clear nail polish for the brass bead to keep it shiny.

• I've also started experimenting with the XS Express sight. So I picked up another Glock 19 to fit out with that set up.

• I find the triggers on the stock Glocks to be very manageable. I know there are a bunch of aftermarket triggers out there, but I'm satisfied with what came from the factory.

Spats, use your Glock in the best of health.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old November 12, 2013, 09:46 AM   #58
Tactical Jackalope

^ Frank, since you're in the business of trying out things. Check out the NY1 Trigger Spring and the minus connector. Both from Glock's mothership. The whole thing will cost you Under $40 with shipping and all. PM me for any details, I'll be glad to sift through them.
Old November 12, 2013, 10:04 AM   #59
Madcap_Magician

I agree with the comment of "One do-everything gun."

My G19 is as shootable as my Beretta 92A1 or the Glock 17 I trained with, but in a good holster conceals just fine. It has twice the capacity of my M&P Shield (Although I have to throw in here that the M&P Shield is itself as shootable as my G19, so there's that).

It's light enough to carry every day, but has the capacity and shootability to be my home defense gun as well. I can't afford new guns anymore, and I am down to only three at this point, but my G19 does everything I need it for.
Old November 15, 2013, 12:20 AM   #60
FilthyHarry

Glock

I shot a Glock for the first time when I rented one to qualify for my CHL. I shot a near-perfect score with that old tired range horse. They are tools. They are good at their function. They would look stupid with pearl handles.
Old November 15, 2013, 06:05 AM   #61
dayman

I'd second Constantine's suggestion that you try the NY1&-C.
If you stick with Glock OEM parts it's still technically stock, and it brings the trigger from okay, to fantastic. Better than the PPQ fantastic.
Old November 15, 2013, 07:05 AM   #62
Tactical Jackalope

A Grudging Review of the Glock 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayman View Post
I'd second Constantine's suggestion that you try the NY1&-C.
If you stick with Glock OEM parts it's still technically stock, and it brings the trigger from okay, to fantastic. Better than the PPQ fantastic.
Thank you! Exactly. It rocks the PPQ any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I used to own a PPQ.

My favorite trigger on a carry gun, or any of my guns for that matter. I don't mean to toot my own horn either, but I have a pretty heavy collection of handguns.

Try it out! Promise it's worth it McGee.
Old November 15, 2013, 12:00 PM   #63
Glenn E. Meyer

About decockers - they are suggested to be a cause of some NDs in the human factor analyses of such.

They are a way to try to keep folks from pulling a SA trigger on a SA/DA gun by accident. But it's not clear the increased trigger pull really does does when the gun goes DA.

Trigger off the finger is the magic cure. Making the gun more complicated or with inconsistent trigger pull between first and second makes little sense - if in fact the increased trigger pull hasn't cut down the ND rate.

Yep, folks say they master the first DA pull. But some folks say that having a heavier first pull leads to an ND when someone rests their finger on a gun that switched to SA and they assume a heavier pull is there.

So why bother with such.
Old November 15, 2013, 12:06 PM   #64
Bennyboy

Never liked Glocks. Didn't fit my hands. Till the gen4 arrived. Now, my G19 may not be my most accurate, prettiest, or most expensive gun. But it has become my "if I could only have one" gun and it's with me at all times.
Old November 15, 2013, 01:14 PM   #65
TunnelRat

Quote:
Trigger off the finger is the magic cure. Making the gun more complicated or with inconsistent trigger pull between first and second makes little sense - if in fact the increased trigger pull hasn't cut down the ND rate.
It's not inconsistent. The first pull is always heavier and the second pull is always lighter.

Quote:
But some folks say that having a heavier first pull leads to an ND when someone rests their finger on a gun that switched to SA and they assume a heavier pull is there.
Huh? So someone violating the principal rules of safety somehow makes DA/SA MORE unsafe? Wow, that's a bit of a stretch.

Quote:
So why bother with such.
Because I shoot them better. I haven't met a striker fired pistol yet that I can shoot as well as a DA/SA pistol. More so I like having a hammer fired gun and I like that hammer being exposed. Different strokes for different folks you know.
Old November 15, 2013, 01:17 PM   #66
Tactical Jackalope

^ I wish I had it that easy.

I always have a never ending battle from within between my SIG's vs. my Glock's.

The Glock always wins for CCW and shoot-ability. But in my heart I prefer my SIG's but in my mind I prefer my Glock's.

It just hurt saying that.

::fetal position::
Old November 15, 2013, 01:26 PM   #67
TunnelRat

Sticking with one trigger system helps. As for CCW and size that's why I went from SIG to HK. I love SIGs, but frankly the HKs are lighter and easier for me to conceal. I'm hoping to post a review soon of an FNP9-M. A compact model FN made that didn't see a lot of production but is basically the same height and length of a Glock 19 with the same capacity, except in DA/SA. Seems like it will prove a good option.

One gripe I have with Glock is those stock sights. The Glocks I've shot are capable of good accuracy, but those sights mess me up. I find I have to bury the front sight so it is slightly covered by the rear sight if I want to hit POA, otherwise I shoot high. Of course a sights switch is an easy thing, especially on Glocks.
Old November 15, 2013, 01:33 PM   #68
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Sticking with one trigger system helps. As for CCW and size that's why I went from SIG to HK. I love SIGs, but frankly the HKs are lighter and easier for me to conceal. I'm hoping to post a review soon of an FNP9-M. A compact model FN made that didn't see a lot of production but is basically the same height and length of a Glock 19 with the same capacity, except in DA/SA. Seems like it will prove a good option.
Always, always, always, a huge plus to stick to one trigger system. That's why my Glock 19 always wins with me when it comes to life duty. Because I moved from SIG Sauer DA/SA to Glock's "safe-action" and it wasn't easy either, trust me. But now with my Glock 19, I feel married. I can't let it go either. It's like my extremity. Especially with the NY1 + Minus connector.

O_O I await your review on that FNP9...That sounds like a damn good trade off.

I recall you preferring the HK to the SIG. Nothing wrong with that at all IMO. Same code of arms.

Quote:
One gripe I have with Glock is those stock sights. The Glocks I've shot are capable of good accuracy, but those sights mess me up. I find I have to bury the front sight so it is slightly covered by the rear sight if I want to hit POA, otherwise I shoot high. Of course a sights switch is an easy thing, especially on Glocks.
The stock sights on Glock's are like the Ford Pinto of the gun world. Insanely ridiculous and dangerous. One handed manipulations of racking the slide is out the window. They will rip right off. I don't mind dangerous, smoking a cigarette while flooring it in reverse in a Ford Pinto dangerous. But stock sights on a Glock are a no no.

Mine all sport Trijicon HD's.
Old November 15, 2013, 02:11 PM   #69
TunnelRat

Quote:
Mine all sport Trijicon HD's.
Yea those are my favorite too. I just wish they were a tad less expensive, but I'll stay pay for them. They make such a nice clean profile. Good thing is they're so popular for the Glock that they can be found in stock pretty easy.
Old November 15, 2013, 06:05 PM   #70
dgludwig

Quote:
Because I shoot them better. I haven't met a striker fired pistol yet that I can shoot as well as a DA/SA pistol. More so I like having a hammer fired gun and I like that hammer being exposed. Different strokes for different folks you know.
My sentiments, exactly TunnelRat. Well said!
Old November 15, 2013, 09:44 PM   #71
Tactical Jackalope

A Grudging Review of the Glock 19

These are my two main CCW/work/everything guns. They both have their own rigs for the TLR-1s.

Haven't trained with the P226 in over a year. I love these two guns.
Old November 17, 2013, 09:37 PM   #72
charlesc

Some questions
1 The grip texture on 4th gen feel rough and uncomfortable. How do you make them feel soft?

2 Also it is hard for me to push the slide stop lever upwards.
Would installing the upgrade Glock extended slide stop lever make it easier to push it upwards?

push down is not an issue. pushing up the slide stop lever is hard for me.

3 would you recommend installing any other upgrades including the recoil assembly - say stainless steel or the tungsten?
Old November 17, 2013, 09:54 PM   #73
LockedBreech

The G19/G23 "compact" frame Glocks pack a really impressive amount of function into a fairly small and quite light package. I have no idea why I don't own one already. I am sure enough that I'll own one that I grabbed a handful of G19 and G23 mags during the most recent mag panic.

Oddly enough, even though they're not very different at all, the full-size Glocks don't really work for me.
Old November 18, 2013, 01:37 AM   #74
leadcounsel

Glock fanboy here.

I love the fine craftsmanship and metal of Ruger and Smith wheelguns, Sigs, Gen 3 stainless S&W wondernines, 1911s, etc.

I'm in a position to be able to carry any handgun I'd want. I want something for day-to-day carry with total expectation of durability, toughness, not worrying about damaging the finish, reliability, accuracy, etc. I like my defensive guns to be all business. I find the Glocks fit the bill in that they are just plain tough, rugged, durable, accurate, affordable, light, great capacity, simple and all business.

Welcome to the club!
Old November 18, 2013, 03:12 PM   #75
SIMP

Got me another G19 today and it will not be sold or traded again. Regretted selling it ever since I did.

Tags
g19 , gen 4 , glock , glock 19 gen 4 , review