The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 13, 2013, 06:51 PM   #26
armoredman

Classic and one of the best CCW pistols I've ever tried. CZ -75 PCR.

Old February 13, 2013, 09:01 PM   #27
AdamSean

There are a lot of great choices out there. What will be the best is what is best for you. Try some different pistols if you can.

As for me, I like the Glock 36. It works for me and that is all that matters.
Old February 13, 2013, 09:54 PM   #28
gregdry

+1 on the Springfield XDS! I have one in bi-tone; carry it most every day in my front right pocket. It's about the same size as my Keltec Pf9 - but in a 45! If I need to go smaller, I carry my Kahr PM40. If you want smaller than the XDS, you might consider the Kahr CM40 - same size as PM, but less $$. Advantage with Springfield is no break-in required (Kahr suggests a 200 rd. break-in).
Old February 13, 2013, 10:10 PM   #29
jpcmt

I've CCW'd the following:
G26gen3 - Good capacity, excellent weight and size, boringly reliable...was just not the best in the hand.
G36gen3 - Bad capacity, excellent weight and size, good in the hand, not reliable. I think the design took away from the normal recoil management design in the polymer frame and it slide-locked a little to much for me as it has for others if you do a brief survey.
M&P9 - decent capacity, decent weight, not the best size (9c would have been better), reliable. Stopped carrying because it was heavy...each ounce matters when it's on you every day, and I migrated to 40s&w.
G23gen3 - good capacity, excellent weight and size, very reliable, just a little pricey to train with (i'm poor now), a little hotter recoil than 9 or 45 making fast & accurate shots harder for me.
G19gen3 - best size/weight/capacity ratio in it's class, ultra reliable, lots of accessories/holsters/mods to customize it. It may be the perfect gun.

As for caliber, I don't subscribe to the nonsense of one caliber being best between the more prevalent carry calibers (9, 40, 45). They are all equal in modern loads and when I do my part (easier with the 9), I'll get more quality shots landed with the 9mm. I've migrated from 9, to 45, to 40, then back to 9, and I also open carry a 1911 on range days and weekends just to show off (it's not something I trust my life with yet despite costing more than 2 glocks).

I have only become a glock fanboy because they are, out of the box, the best at the categories that matter to me: weight, size, capacity, reliability, shape/feel, accessories, simplicity - i do not do safeties..they're for people who are scared of their guns.
Old February 13, 2013, 11:37 PM   #30
Tactical Jackalope

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516454

Eeeeeh....

Sent from my phone...expect typos.
Old February 14, 2013, 06:16 AM   #31
915A

The XDs is coming out in 9mm, I wonder if the .40 is next
Old February 14, 2013, 06:44 AM   #32
certified106

I am a big fan of my Kahr CM9 for every day carry...... I put it on and forget that i have it on for the next 12 hours.... Best part is I can also pocket carry it if the situation calls for it.
Old February 14, 2013, 06:50 AM   #33
915A

Ruger SR40c?
Old February 14, 2013, 07:13 AM   #34
vector91

Yea constantine I am posting on that thread right now has me alittle worried to
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
Old February 14, 2013, 08:03 AM   #35
dean1818

For me, the M&P Shield in 40 is an excellent choice

Thin for IWB
Accurate
Reliable (not a single FTE FTF)
Lite recoil for a 40
Made in USA
Great ergos

Its my EDC

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old February 14, 2013, 08:01 PM   #36
souther33

Well I really like a smith and Wesson 380 bodyguard. it's not a 40 or 45 but I thought I would mention it. Plus it comes with a laser and very concealable
Old February 14, 2013, 08:14 PM   #37
m&p45acp10+1

I am looking at, and realy liking the Colt New Agent. I own a couple of 1911 platform pistols, and carried one for 5 years. The New Agent to me is the compact that feels right. Now I just have to budget for one.
Old February 14, 2013, 11:05 PM   #38
Viper99

armoredman,

I am soooo lusting for one of those.
Beautiful gun.
Old February 14, 2013, 11:31 PM   #39
AFrost20

I was set on waiting for a Shield for my EDC weapon, that is, until I shot the Beretta Nano at my local range. After that, I picked up the first Nano I found and haven't looked back yet. Definitely a great single stack firearm to consider, and you won't have to pay above MSRP like a lot of the shops have the Shield at.
Old February 14, 2013, 11:40 PM   #40
ClydeFrog

Good buys...

The limited ed Lipseys FDE Glock 23 gen 04 or gen 03 .40 or the Glock 19. It's rare and has collector/resale value. The brown color can blend in more too with lighter shade fabrics.
The new FDS line from FNH looks good. .40S&W or 9x19mm . Full ambi controls too. Great combat/sidearm choice .
The HK P2000 LEM or the new SIG Sauer P290RS or the smaller P224 in .357sig DAK could be great. They are not cheap but less than a funeral.

CF
Old February 14, 2013, 11:50 PM   #41
lefteye

For pocket carry: A Ruger LCP or something similar.

For carry (concealed or open): A larger capacity semi-auto that fits your hand and that you shoot well. This is a very personal choice because it must work for you.
Old February 15, 2013, 12:09 AM   #42
shootniron

Quote:
Thanks a lot guys I really apriciate all of the suggestions definitely considering the XDS seems like the best for what I am looking for.
I like the XDs..but it is overpriced and the ones that I know about have been kind of spotty on reliability.

I don't like the Glock's...but they are the best value.
Old February 15, 2013, 10:52 AM   #43
Strat

IMO...The best gun to carry is...the gun you feel most comfortable with....the gun you are most accurate with....

Just saying,

Strat
Old February 15, 2013, 11:51 AM   #44
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
IMO...The best gun to carry is...the gun you feel most comfortable with....the gun you are most accurate with....
That goes without saying. I think he's trying to find out what people who carry and shoot often, carry. To help narrow his choices as to what to go ahead and try out.

Through process of elimination (testing out the guns) the gun to be carried will be selected.

Some people are a little more cautious.
Old February 15, 2013, 01:19 PM   #45
vector91

Quote:
That goes without saying. I think he's trying to find out what people who carry and shoot often, carry. To help narrow his choices as to what to go ahead and try out.
Thank you Constantine.

I'm not so sure about the XDS anymore with all I have been reading about but I am definately looking for a single stack compact .45 that doesn't have an unreasonable recoil.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
Old February 15, 2013, 06:23 PM   #46
ET.

I'm also carrying an M&P 40 Shield right now and I love it. It has taken the place of my G27 for the time being. The XDs line is a good one as well I hear.
Old February 15, 2013, 07:24 PM   #47
rickmelear

lots of good choices, just make sure you shoot it well, you might have to actually use it one day.
Old February 15, 2013, 10:26 PM   #48
LivnInAZ

Re: Best concealed carry gun

I carry the Springfield XDs so it must be the best concealed carry gun.
Old February 16, 2013, 05:39 AM   #49
chaim

I'm a big CZ and SIG fan (even on a budget).

CZ makes a great gun. They used to be an incredible deal: SIG functional quality (though fit and finish weren't up to SIG standards), and Ruger prices. Now, they are priced closer to their quality, but they are still good deals. The compact P06 (40S&W), P01 (9mm) and PCR (9mm) may be hard to find for under $600 anymore, but they won't be much more than $600. The steel frame 32oz 75 Compact should be closer to $500, as is the full-sized CZ 75B. The polymer P07 (9mm or .40) is the budget choice as it can usually be had for under $500. My full sized CZ 75B has well over 10K rounds through it, and the number of hiccups can be counted on one hand.

Some years ago I bought 2 used SIGs within 6 months of each other, a 9mm 226 and a .40S&W 229. I absolutely loved that 229: just small enough for CCW, big enough to be a great range gun, 100% reliable (though the 226 wasn't), and very accurate. Unfortunately, I had to sell them a few years ago: I'm a teacher, not paid over the summer, and one summer I didn't save enough for the summer and didn't find a summer job so I sold them when I ran too low on money. I've wanted to replace that 229 ever since.

Several months ago I bought a SIG 290RS (9mm). Very small and easily concealable, shoots like a bigger gun (it is comfortable to shoot, and very accurate), mine has been 100% reliable. The DAO trigger is a little long and heavy, but it is very smooth, very revolver-like. It is now one of my favorite guns, and when I am out of MD it has been my always carry lately (I have a UT permit, but not an almost impossible to obtain MD permit so I don't carry here).

After much research, and partially over my love of the 290, I recently put a .45ACP SIG P250 Compact on layaway (and I plan to get the conversion kit to make it a subcompact .40S&W before long as well). They are inexpensive, and the modular design makes them very versatile (they can be converted to different sizes and calibers relatively inexpensively and easily). From my research, it does seem they were a bit unreliable at first, but SIG slightly redesigned them and the 2nd generation seems to be highly reliable.

You should easily be able to find a SIG 290 for under $600, a SIG 250, CZ P07, full sized CZ 75B or CZ 75 Compact for around $500, and a CZ PCR, P01 or P06 for just over $600. For a SIG 229, 228 (9mm only), or 239, you will have to shop used, but it will be worth it. Any of these should make a terrific CCW choice.
Old February 17, 2013, 05:14 AM   #50
bdb benzino

Quote:
I'm not so sure about the XDS anymore with all I have been reading about but I am definately looking for a single stack compact .45 that doesn't have an unreasonable recoil.
I just picked up my second Kahr CW45 and it has been awesome! The first one was reliable but was sold to fund an old revolver that was lost. I grabbed this one and it has not had any issues at all, and I am 200+ rounds in and have tried 5 different kinds of hollow points. I also like how you can mod 1911 officer mags to work in it for a flush fit mag. Worth a look and costs $150 less than the XDs.

Tags
conceal carry , gun , semi auto , semi-auto hand guns