The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 21, 2006, 09:08 PM   #1
kozak6

What's the difference between a Maverick and a regular Mossberg 500?

All I know is that the Maverick is a hell of a lot cheaper.

What are the differences between the two?
Old August 21, 2006, 09:40 PM   #2
spyderdude

I have the Maverick 88, and it's pretty much like the 500 except for the safety (500 is a tang safety located on top of the reciever, and the 88's is located on the front of the trigger guard), and I think the forends are different as well. Barrels for the 500 are compatiable with the Maverick 88.
Old August 21, 2006, 09:49 PM   #3
Maveri9720

Search under Maverick and you will answer your own question. This has been discussed a couple times.

Main points are that the Maverick is a Mossberg product, was a cheaper line of the 500 and it was assembled in Mexico, therefore, lowering the production costs of the gun and that's why you see a lower price. Cheaper parts and quality control.

From what I have read, it seems that the consensus is that it is a "cheaper" gun, ie, more play throughout the gun, not as durable and also is lighter, so you feel the recoil more.

If you like it and feels good to you, get it. Some people have said they loved their Maverick's and that they have held up well. Most people have said what I stated above.

I was looking at one also and had the same questions. I ended up getting an 870, simply for the fact that the shotgun will more than likely outlive me. A $100 or so is worth it to me to get a quality gun, with a solid reputation that will hold up and be there for me when I really need it and also be there for me down the road.

Just my .02 though.

It's not polite to call people name's, you idiot!
Old August 21, 2006, 10:06 PM   #4
Quickdraw Limpsalot

They may be inexpensive, but they're great workhorse field guns! Mine's at LEAST 10 years old and running strong.. lots of hulls have been flung out of it without a single failure that I can recall.
Old August 22, 2006, 12:04 AM   #5
Dfariswheel

Maverick is Mossberg's absolute bottom-of-the-line Super-budget gun.

The guns are assembled in Eagle Pass, Texas with most parts being made in Mexico.

The forearm and action bars are molded in one piece, and have some history of breaking.

It has a safety mounted on the trigger guard instead of on top of the receiver like the Model 500.
The gun rattles a lot more than even the Model 500 Mossberg.

Still in all, they seem to be fairly reliable.