The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 11, 2021, 03:53 AM   #26
ms6852

Ignition Override

The question asked has so many variables that not one single answer really applies. There is just no one correct answer in reality. I trained at JOTC in Panama with the 10th Special Forces group during the time that we were fighting in Viet Nam. Trained in California, Alaska, and Arizona when the battle ground shifted to a different scenario where Jungle Training brought no practical use in the desert. The battle ground is fluid and always shifts and nothing is defined specifically as it is in a Hollywood production movie.

Some one just commented what if I am not home what now. So does that mean I carry and leave my bug out bag with money, firearms supplies locked in my vehicle while I am at work or grocery shopping only to have my vehicle stolen along with my bug out bag. Does that mean that it is over for me?

There is no way to prepare for every single possible scenario that could occur. What good does it do to be heavily armed with weeks of rations if the imminent threat is a biological assault. I do not prepare for SHTF scenarios, I prepare for things that I can have control of, like electricity when there is none, for water when there is none, food, and to defend my home. I have been in the same neighborhood where we throw street parties where six of my neighbors are retired military, 3 are active, and 5 of them are LEO's and we all look after each other and their children. There is a bond that is forged in decades of socializing with each other and having each other's back through the bad times, when you truly know who will have your back. Every one is a friend when times are good but not when they are bad.

Last edited by ms6852; February 11, 2021 at 04:10 PM.
Old February 11, 2021, 02:54 PM   #27
Radny97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6852 View Post
Ignition Override

The question asked has so many variables that not one single answer really applies. There is just no one correct answer in reality. I trained at JOTC in Panama with the 10th Special Forces group during the time that we were fighting in Viet Nam. Trained in California, Alaska, and Arizona when the battle ground shifted to a different scenario where Jungle Training brought no practical use in the desert. The battle ground is fluid and always shifts and nothing is defined specifically as it is in a Hollywood production movie.

Some one just commented what if I am not home what now. So does that mean I carry and leave my bug out bag with money, firearms supplies locked in my vehicle while I am at work or grocery shopping only to have my vehicle stolen along with my bug out bag. Does that mean that it is over for me?

There is no way to prepare for every single possible scenario that colud occur. What good does it do to be heavily armed with weeks of rations if the imminent threat is a biological assault. I do not prepare for SHTF scenarios, I prepare for things that I can have control of, like electricity when there is none, for water when there is none, food, and to defend my home. I have been in the same neighborhood where we throw street parties where six of my neighbors are retired military, 3 are active, and 5 of them are LEO's and we all look after each other and their children. There is a bond that is forged in decades of socializing with each other and having each other's back through the bad times, when you truly know who will have your back. Every one is a friend when times are good but not when they are bad.

Good points. Being tight with your neighbors is probably the most effective thing you can do for preparedness. That way you coordinate on neighborhood crime, help each other when the power or water is out. Etc. Frankly I’m surprised more survivalist groups don’t talk about the importance of neighborhood cohesion in a SHTF situation, because it’s clearly the most important factor in emergency preparedness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk