The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 30, 2011, 10:27 AM   #1
Danxyz53

traveling from FL to Louisiana with guns

I have some questions about transporting legal firearms across state borders.

I will be traveling from Florida through Alabama and Mississippi on Interstate 10 into Louisiana, through New Orleans to a destination in South Louisiana. I plan on taking a AR15 style rifle and a semiautomatic 9 mm pistol. I'll be doing some target shooting with relatives in South Louisiana during my visit. I will transport the guns in their manufacturer's cases in the back of an SUV and keep the cases covered so they are not visible through the windows. Ammunition will be carried in the manufacturer's original cases in an ammunition box with a latch. I plan on traveling with the magazines empty. I do not have a concealed weapons permit.

If I were to be stopped by the police for a speeding, I assume that because I legally own the weapons in Florida and am transporting them in safe manner, that I will not be violating any laws by crossing state lines. It is my impression that all four states in this scenario are “gun friendly”, but I invite those in the know to provide advice so I can make this travel uneventful.
Old January 30, 2011, 10:31 AM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Assuming it's also legal for you to possess the firearms in Louisiana, you are covered by the FOPA (Firearms Owners Protection Act), which is Federal Law. But don't expect every police office to know what the law says -- I'd suggest printing out several copies to carry with you.

http://law.justia.com/us/codes/title18/18usc926a.html
Old January 30, 2011, 08:32 PM   #3
Danxyz53

Thanks Augila-I will carry a copy of the fed regs
Old January 31, 2011, 10:20 AM   #4
dlb435

You will be going through all gun friendly states. As long as the guns are unloaded and not accessable to the driver you will have no problems.
Mississippi is the only state that is a bit vague about keeping a loaded gun near the driver. I've gotten conflicting advice about this question.
Louisianna considers your car to be an extension of your home. You may keep a loaded gun in your car and out of sight. It may not be concealed on your person without a CC permit.
Let common sense prevail and if you are stopped by the police be sure to let them know about the guns.