The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 13, 2017, 06:30 PM   #26
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_C_S
W296 is kinda funny stuff. It doesn't like to be downloaded, and it doesn't yield higher performance when it's overloaded. It just has a sweet spot; and that's where you should run it. A bit oversimplified, but basically, that's how it behaves.

My above-mentioned 158 jacketed W296 load is in that 16.5 neighborhood you just mentioned. Probably a good spot for it.

Load safe.
Agreed. I've generated a lot of velocity testing and i've documented similar findings with ball powders such as H110 and W748. There seems to be a threshold where if you attempt to exceeded you see no gains in velocities and I found that with W748 in 308 I actually saw my velocity #'s decrease.
Old February 14, 2017, 11:09 AM   #27
imq707s

Thanks for all the info guys. I've decided to go with 16.5 gr of 296 since that's still under published max load data....and I was still getting good velocities.

As far as any pressure signs when I was working up to 17.2 gr, I did have flattened primers.....but I also had flattened primers at my starting load of 15.0 grains. By looking at them, you cannot tell the difference between the primers on the 15.0 loads and 17.2...they both are flattened the same.

None of the loads had sticky brass after firing them....even the 17.2gr loads. I've always heard that flat primers wasn't a very effective way to read pressure in a case.....but if the fired brass started sticking in the cylinder, then you were definitely up into high pressure territory and needed to back off a bit.
Old February 14, 2017, 09:52 PM   #28
Chainsaw.

Flattened primers is one thing, just part of an equation. Some primers flatten easier than others. Flowing primers is a sure sign of over pressure though. That is an absolute stop sign.

Sounds like you are on a good plan.
Old February 15, 2017, 08:51 AM   #29
Road_Clam

I also like to keep an eye on cratered primer strikes. My 80 gr service rifle load is with 24.5 gr of Varget and the higher pressure is tough on my primers. I switched to using the CCI #41 5.56 primers.
Old February 15, 2017, 12:22 PM   #30
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I've always heard that flat primers wasn't a very effective way to read pressure in a case.....but if the fired brass started sticking in the cylinder, then you were definitely up into high pressure territory and needed to back off a bit.
This is true. But keep in mind that the "not very effective" way to read pressure from flattened primers is only "not very effective" because of people's (unrealistic) expectations.

Flattened primers tell only one thing with certainty, that there was enough pressure to flatten the primer. They don't tell you what that pressure was, or whether it was above or below accepted operating standards. (and flattened primers CAN happen in either case, or neither, there are other factors involved.)

In some ways, seeing flattened primers is like seeing the road is icy. Doesn't mean you can't safely drive, just means you are outside the "bare and dry pavement" comfort zone.

To continue the comparison, when you get sticky cases, you aren't just driving on an icy road, you are sliding into the other lane, and through stop signs, so, brother, its time to SLOW DOWN...
Old February 16, 2017, 12:45 AM   #31
Ricklin

Excellent

What a great thread. Esp. the contributions by staff.

THANKS! I learned a lot.