The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 20, 2013, 09:33 PM   #1
jrothWA

CCI "Quiet Report" .22LR ammo used in...

EXTREMELY WORN barrel rifles?

Have Dad's 1927 Win 1906 pump and barrel is lousy, just wondering if when in stock) to buy a box and see if the lower velocity (with more in the bore time),
might give better accuracy.

Thanks.
Old March 20, 2013, 09:49 PM   #2
Sport45

It may or may not. Won't know until you try.

If it's really worn out your only choices for restoration may be relining or rebarreling. Numrich may have a barrel, but it might not be any better than what you have.

That said, I've never seen a worn out .22 barrel. Was it rusted, or is the muzzle just shot from too much use of sectioned cleaning rods? If it's just the muzzle you may be able to cut it back a little and recrown.
Old March 20, 2013, 10:26 PM   #3
22-rimfire

Probably not if it doesn't handle regular 22LR okay.
Old March 21, 2013, 09:30 PM   #4
jrothWA

Weeell, the history is...

this:

Original barrel that back in 1960, after Dad took my brother and I out to shoot.
The two of us got the cleaning rod stuck in the barrel, Dad took and a friends and got the objects out, [hey I was only seven], use some more for plinking and rats, then retired after 1965 , when I got a Marlin 100[with scope] and Brother got a single shot Nobel.

in the 2000's detailed the action and bore, [could feel the rod good loose with good patch], lube and took it to range, was grouping nice @ 25yds but would get a flyer/keyhole. There is some visible rifling but not promising as you look down the bore.

Recently, bought a second series barrel with grat rifling and the patine almost matches, so that final option.

Reason for asking is my hunting pardner got a 62A, that he want s to challenge me in this Fall squirrell season, so I just want to get ready.
Old March 22, 2013, 08:23 AM   #5
militant

I found the .22 quiets velocity to be very inconsistent which caused accuracy problems for me. It would shoot low then high ect.
Old March 22, 2013, 11:26 AM   #6
ATCDoktor

Quote:
I found the .22 quiets velocity to be very inconsistent which caused accuracy problems for me. It would shoot low then high ect
This has been my experience with CCI Quiets as well.

Accuracy was not good at all even at very short range (my back yard).

Velocity (while quite low) was erratic and groups suffered accordingly (errant low shots with great regularity).
Old March 23, 2013, 12:17 AM   #7
Mezzanine

Never had subsonic's group well at the range, no manufacturer. But somehow they always find their way into a squirrel... Only one way to find out if they shoot better and thats to try them.
Old March 23, 2013, 05:30 AM   #8
rebs

I would try some CCI standard velocity target rounds.
Old March 23, 2013, 10:21 AM   #9
taylorce1

Contact Scorch and see what it would cost to install a barrel liner. For a classic .22 rimfire rifle like this Winchester that is what I'd do before a rebarrel. I have an ancient 06 pump and luckily it is still extremely accurate, but the magazine spring needs to be replaced as it can't feed more than five cartridges reliably anymore.
Old March 23, 2013, 01:52 PM   #10
Jerry45

If you want to test the rifles accuracy get a box of Wolff .22 Match. If it doesn't shoot well with that its the rifle. If it does you need to find what the rifle likes.
Old March 27, 2013, 09:45 PM   #11
Boomer58cal

The liner idea works great. My father has done it on several .22's and a bunch of muzzleloaders. I have a 45 cal cap lock I got for $50 with a worn out barrel he lined with a $25 .36 cal barrel and pow! $75 rifle. I went down to .36 cal to match a pistol I have. Heck, he even turned one of our Crack shots into a .22 mag
Old March 27, 2013, 09:57 PM   #12
B.L.E.

CCI Quiet .22long rifle seems to be OK in accuracy, not spectacular but OK. Much better than their CB cap shorts in my experience.

five shots at 50 yards, CCI Quiet .22 long rifle.

Wolf MT at the same distance on the same day.

I was aiming at the same bullseye on both of them, notice the extra drop with the Quiet ammo due to its low velocity.