The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 30, 2001, 01:10 PM   #1
Ledbetter

I was just at

http://www.m1garandrifle.net/

and found this very interesting site

http://www.leatherwoodoptics.com/

where I learned about the Leatherwood Automatic Ranging and Trajectory scope, or ART. These scopes were supposedly issued to new snipers in Viet Nam who were unfamiliar with hold over and rangefinding. The scope is mounted to a cam ("camputer"). The scope is set and zeroed to the exact ammunition being used. The scope reticle contains dimensions which are overlaid on the target. The scope magnification is adjusted so that the dimensions are correct for the size of the target, the cam automatically adjusts the scope/barrel angle, and the shooter simply puts the crosshairs on the target and pulls the trigger.

I'm looking for a scope for an M1A and think this might be just the thing for $349. Both from a historical and a practical accuracy standpoint.

Anyone familiar with this scope or it's inventor? Any opinions.

Thanks and regards.

Ledbetter

[Edited by Ledbetter on 03-30-2001 at 01:30 PM]
Old March 30, 2001, 02:01 PM   #2
Gewehr98

Don't forget, that $349 ART is actually the later Weaver-compatible quick detachable model, not the proper ART II as intended for the M14/M1A. You'll need to add an intermediate scope mount to your M14/M1A to attach that Quick Detach $349 ART, vs. the $750 ART II with integrated M14/M1A mount. Just a bit of a difference, there. The pic below is the ART II with integrated M14/M1A mount, which sits lower over the receiver and barrel than a two-piece system like you're describing.

Old March 30, 2001, 02:49 PM   #3
Ledbetter

Well, I've got an ARM scope mount already

so I guess if I decide to buy the ART "Sporter," I might just save $400.

Also, I went to the

http://www.leatherwoodscopes.com

site, and the ART II seems to need an additional cam (at additional cost) for each cartridge type. Not so with the ART Sporter, which is adjustable for all high velocity cartridges between 17 Rem. and 375 H&H.

Any feedback on the quality and durability of the system itself?
Old March 30, 2001, 07:32 PM   #4
HankL

I have one on my M21 and for historical correctness you would be doing fine. The intergral mount attaches to the action using the threaded hole provided and a block that replaces the stripper clip guide which is somewhat fragile.
Once you learn the scope it is very good by 1965 standards.
Army Lt James Leatherwood came up with the idea and it was worked on at The Limited War Laboratory at Aberdeen in the mid 60's. The entire concept of the cam was for use with M118 match ammo. Other cams are available now. The early scopes employed a Redfield 3x9 tube.
It is not state of the ART pun intended but is very workable for a fun gun. My ART II SN 3196 has served me well for nearly 20 years.
Regards