The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 25, 2014, 07:54 PM   #1
AL45

Strange looking primers

My son and I shot his Ruger 1911 .45 acp today. The load we used was 200 grain swc, 5 grains of Red Dot, CCI large pistol primers. We have used this load before with no problems. As we were picking up the brass, we noticed the primers on some felt rough. Upon inspection with a magnifying glass, the primers had a piece protruding up. It looked like the back of the primer was scraped or peeled up and you could see the brass underneath.. Other primers had a typical dimple, but had another ring around the dimple. Any ideas what caused this?
Old December 25, 2014, 08:07 PM   #2
skizzums

I would need a pic to say for sure, but some guns just do that, when the round is ejecting the pin wil scrape and leave a elongated primer dimple or just a something that looks like a "scrape". someone will give you a more technical answer soon. but a have seen a lot of striker fired type pistol do this, and usually not something to be concerned with. but a pic would indeed help
Old December 25, 2014, 08:12 PM   #3
Sevens

Pictures are most helpful but by the description, it sounds like primer swipe. I beleive it has to do with the firing pin still being forwarding and protruding from the breech face at the same time that the expended case is moving.

Some guns simply do it - I've definitely seen in from a buddy's XD(s) in .45

I'm no expert, but if the gun runs well, I don't beleive that it's of any concern.
Old December 25, 2014, 08:58 PM   #4
polyphemus

So far it sounds like firing pin bounce,usually a heavier firing pin spring will
resolve this issue.
Quote:
and you could see the brass underneath.
This one here I'm not so sure about but in any case try a heavier spring,not serious anyway.
Old December 25, 2014, 11:22 PM   #5
Vance

My ruger sr1911 doesn't do this to the primers. Did you modilfy the firing pin spring?
Old December 26, 2014, 02:03 AM   #6
AL45

Vance, we haven't changed anything. It has around 500 rounds through it. Could being dirty cause this? We cleaned it when we got it in May. But haven't cleaned it until after shooting tonight. I hand primed the primers with a Lee hand primer like I always have. Could the primers not be seated deep enough?
Old December 26, 2014, 01:32 PM   #7
Vance

When you seat primers, the face of the primer should be below the face of the case head. If you are having trouble getting the primers seated all the way, then the primer pockets need to be cleaned. Here is a good video on primer seating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiPu36-M9LM

The one on the left is what it should look like.
Old December 26, 2014, 02:53 PM   #8
polyphemus

OP,could you please post a picture of the case heads with the damaged primers?
Old December 26, 2014, 04:19 PM   #9
243winxb

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555589 same here. With photos. High pressure, then primer wipe.

Last edited by 243winxb; December 26, 2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old December 26, 2014, 04:33 PM   #10
AL45

I don't know how to post pictures due to my computer ignorance. I will see if my much more intelligent son or daughter can do so. I always try to seat the primers slightly below surface, but these seem to be about flush. May be dirty primer pockets.