The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 9, 2013, 12:06 PM   #1
kellybelly888

What gun do I have?????

I have a black powder handgun. I know not a thing about guns. It has a what looks like a skull and bones in a sheild... then pn xxx ..... on the barrel it has what looks to be a stage coach and men on it. the handle has R ETE ITALY and 14977 on the underside of it. Do you know what this is..... what is the value??
Old August 9, 2013, 12:57 PM   #2
lee n. field

Good pictures would really help.

Quote:
I have a black powder handgun.
Black powder, as in cap and ball, or a black powder cartridge gun? Revolver or single shot?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 10, 2013, 07:45 PM   #3
Kev

Take a look at this thread

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420637
Old August 12, 2013, 09:55 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Like a replica of a Colt. Post a picture of it. That will help.
Old August 12, 2013, 10:16 AM   #5
Doc Hoy

KB888

Welcome to the group.
Old August 12, 2013, 10:44 AM   #6
Fingers McGee

First impression - from the stagecoach scene, It is either an 1848 Baby Dragoon (no loading lever under the barrel) or an 1849 Pocket Model (loading lever under the barrel) Colt replica. Is it a 5 shot .31 Caliber short barreled revolver?

The skull and crossbones and PN markings you describe are the Italian proof marks. The XXX is the date code for proof (or manufacture) date of 1974.

Are the marking on the handle actually PR and FIE Italy? if so, the maker is probably Pierino Ruschetta, and the importer is Firearms Import and Export. Both companies being out of business for a long time.

At this point, value is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. As stated, pictures would help
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce