The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 13, 2013, 11:27 AM   #1
Bernie Link

$100 laser sight???

After a lengthy discussion with my financial adviser (anyone that's married knows who that is) I got the OK to buy a $100 laser sight for my Taurus PT92. I've been looking at:
BEAMSHOTâ„¢ Tactical GB800M Green Laser Sight For M1913/ Picatinny rail (is this rail what I have on my PT92?)
or
Barska GLX 5mW Green Laser Sight w/ Built-in Picatinny Rail AU11408

Any suggestions???

Thanks, Bernie
Old February 13, 2013, 11:54 AM   #2
AndyWest

Are you set on green? Surely they offer visibility but tend to be much more expensive since it's a (relatively) newer technology. And they eat batteries. Fair disclosure, I don't own a green.

[Edit] Yeah, according to the Taurus site, it's a Picatinny rail:

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...ategory=Pistol

(features tab)
Old February 16, 2013, 02:03 PM   #3
LarryFlew

besides being more expensive and battery eaters green beams can also be seen from the side where red can't. BUT they are much more visible to the user and have many times the distance as most legal reds. 5mw is the legal civilian laser sight while military is 40mw.
Old February 17, 2013, 11:19 AM   #4
fireman1291

Ill never use a red laser again. That's if i even use another one. It's not practical to have you POI change when you increase or decrease your distance from the target. Your shot will be off so to me it's easier to just use your sights. On the other hand it has SD intimidation factor and you can shoot from low ready without having to bring the gun up to aim. The green is way better than red as far as visibility. I would steer clear from cheap lasers though. They lack refinement in holding their zero and you will have yours mounted on a pistol, not good. If your going to do it just save longer and buy a higher quality laser