The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 2, 2013, 09:50 AM   #26
rickyrick

Yes I searched for hours for a hog that I found the next morning 20yds from where I shot it.

If they have enough consciousness to hide before they die, that's a whole other issue. A pig can hide in grass or brush flat on the belly snout stretched out. If you're lucky you'll hear the death moans.

No, I'll put my bullet in the neck. Why would anyone pass on a guaranteed incapacitation. Pigs move randomly enough that they'll present the shot.
Old January 2, 2013, 10:16 AM   #27
Keg

Quote:
No, I'll put my bullet in the neck. Why would anyone pass on a guaranteed incapacitation.
The way I see it....
Old January 2, 2013, 02:47 PM   #28
thallub

Quote:
In my experience, 100 yards is a pretty reasonable estimate of a range for a death run, but that actually means an area of 6.5 acres and within that area, there is a lot of places a hog can hide on the properties I hunt.
Yep, tell me about it. Last spring i shot a huge boar with a .50 muzzleloader. Looked for two hours no avail. It was a 125 yard shot and i wrote it off as a miss. Two weeks ago i kick started my eastern red cedar eradication program on that place. One big cedar had limbs to the ground. Chainsawed the limbs off that cedar to fell it and there was the bones of my big hog. He went about 80 yards after being shot.

My three favorite hog hunting stands have mostly unobstructed vision for at least 100 yards in front and to the sides. From one of those stands i've killed 8 hogs that went over 300 pounds. Four went over 350 pounds.

IME: The bigger the lung shot hog the longer he is likely to run. After they hit the ground they usually kick for 30-45 seconds before expiring. This is Osama bin Laden: Osama went about 120 yards after being double lunged with a .50 muzzleloader. i watched him all the way. He kicked a long time after falling.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l.../Osama-1-1.jpg

Last edited by thallub; January 2, 2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old January 2, 2013, 08:24 PM   #29
reynolds357

.30-30 in the head works fine. It will smash the thickest boneand usually send it flying into the brain even if the bullet does not hit the brain. Hogs are not monsters. We shot domestics for many years with a .22lr. Then we started hitting them in the head with a hammer with a spike on it. They are really not all that tough.
Old January 2, 2013, 08:36 PM   #30
thallub

My problem with head shot hogs is the fact they often don't bleed out. Thats OK if you get to the hog right away, cut its throat and allow it to bleed out. It it takes awhile to find the hog, thats another matter.
Old January 2, 2013, 09:02 PM   #31
reynolds357

I have a dog, so I find everything I shoot quickly. I have him trained to track blood, so if it bleeds a drop every 20 feet he runs straight to it. Having a tracking dog will spoil you. Its nice to just turn the dog loose and wait for him to open up barking and walk right to him.
Old January 2, 2013, 11:00 PM   #32
thallub

Quote:
I have a dog, so I find everything I shoot quickly. I have him trained to track blood, so if it bleeds a drop every 20 feet he runs straight to it. Having a tracking dog will spoil you. Its nice to just turn the dog loose and wait for him to open up barking and walk right to him.
A tracking dog will spoil a hunter. A friend has two wired haired Dachshunds. We often use those dogs to track wounded deer and elk. Can't turn the dogs loose here because of the wild hogs and coyotes. They are kept on long leashes.

Started taking our Poodle along on tracking jobs and she is picking it up fast.
Old January 3, 2013, 07:28 AM   #33
ATCDoktor

With regards to the heart/lung shot I'll share the following with respect to hogs:

My neighbor and I shot this trio of hogs a couple of years back, all heart lung shots and 2 were DRT(the top and bottom hogs).

The center hog gave us a bit of a problem:

Reference the center hog, my neighbor and I were dragging the top hog out of the woods when the center hog came trotting past at less than 20 yards. My neighbor shot him (a little far back) with a 243 and he never flinched and I immediatley blasted him with my 45/70 again he didn't flinch. At my shot, he kicked it into high gear and ran out of sight.

We searched for a couple of hours and there was no sign of him, not a single drop of blood, nothing.

We figured we missed (but down deep we knew that was unlikely).

Well, on the drive off the property we found him about a half mile or so from where we shot him (lying in the center of the dirt road) and this is what we found:

We had both hit him and the bullet holes were less than 3 inches apart Front wound is the 45/70 (300 grain JHP @ 1900 FPS) and rear 243 (80 grain Barnes TTSX @ 3100FPS):

There was massive damage to the lungs and trauma to the heart but he still ran a half mile or so before he piled up and died.

Entrance wounds from the inside:

Exit wounds from the inside:

As far as we could tell he didn't leak a drop of blood on his death run and the "outside" view of the exit wounds were unremarkable and it looked as if the skin had "sealed up" over the wounds.

Based on this particular instance I have transitioned to Head/Neck/Ear shots (for hogs only) and have never had another hog take a step after being shot.
Old January 3, 2013, 09:00 AM   #34
rickyrick

Very interesting autopsy, thanks.

I have seen the sealed bullet hole also.
Old January 3, 2013, 11:30 AM   #35
Keg

Quote:
Based on this particular instance I have transitioned to Head/Neck/Ear shots (for hogs only) and have never had another hog take a step after being shot.
Today 12:00 AM
Good example ATC Dok.....I had to learn this too..many moons ago....The bigguns are tough....
Old January 3, 2013, 11:34 AM   #36
Double Naught Spy

So 100 yards is a good rule of thumb unless it isn't and the hog runs a half mile. Wow!

You know, I think if you shoot through the shield areas that "closing up" as you mentioned really does occur, sort of like self sealing fuel tanks. It isn't always perfect, but does seem to happen. See post 18 here http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ght=mulefooted
Old January 3, 2013, 01:09 PM   #37
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
As far as we could tell he didn't leak a drop of blood on his death run and the "outside" view of the exit wounds were unremarkable and it looked as if the skin had "sealed up" over the wounds.
You done good just hitting him with hurried shots and finally retrieving him but that was the point we were making earlier about shooting 6" further forward than you would a long legged critter. A hogs heart is farther forward and if you had got the leg and the heart he wouldn't have been quite as mobile. Good job of hunting, lots of BBQ and sausage there on the floor.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 3, 2013, 03:51 PM   #38
1tfl

At my place a hog that runs more than 25 yards is going to be hard to find without tracking dogs. One that runs 100 yards will never be found without a dog until next day... look out for buzzards.

We shoot hogs all year long at my place and we shoot about 50 hogs a year. I personally witness the shooting on about 40 of those hogs and most are head shot and most of those will drop on the spot. It doesn't always kill the hog on the spot but they always drop immediately. Few are neck shots (usually in the upper neck close to head) and those shot usually have same effect. Very few that are shot in the heart/lung area will usually run a good distance. It's not unusual for a hog to run 100+ yards after having it's lungs and heart shot and I've seen few that ran several hundred yards. One hog did drop on the spot with heart shot but the was with 300WM at close range and the heart and lung exploded inside the hog.

Even with handguns a well placed head shot will drop a hog on the spot.
Old January 3, 2013, 06:53 PM   #39
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
A hogs heart is farther forward and if you had got the leg and the heart he wouldn't have been quite as mobile.
At most, it is a couple inches farther forward, not 6". He hit the heart and had to do so by aiming further back because the hog was quartered way. If he would have shot 6" farther forward, he might have hit the leg, but would have missed the heart and potentially the lungs as well. He could not aim at the outside broadside shot location because the hog wasn't broadside.

You can't just arbitrarily say that you need to hit in X location without taking into account actual trajectory through the body. The goal isn't to hit a spot outside of the hog, but inside of the hog. Given that hogs are not always perfectly broadside to make a heart shot, one must correct the aiming point accordingly.

So ATCDocktor's and his buddy's shots look too far back, but not when you look at the exit wounds. That the exits were further foward indicates the animal was quartered away and apparently quite a bit given how far back the entrances were and the heart was still hit.
Old January 3, 2013, 08:49 PM   #40
thallub

This sow appears to be hit way too far back. She was quartering away at a good angle at about 50 yards distance. The sow was shot with a Hornady 240 grain .430 XTP handgun bullet leaving the muzzle of my .50 CVA muzzleloader at 1,850 fps. The liver was torn up, the diaphragm shredded and one lung was turned to jello. The bullet missed the heart and did not exit.

i will never forget that hog. At the shot she went about four feet straight up in the air, came down with her nose pointed down. She left the ground two or three more times and lay then still. All i could think of was the description Carlos Hathcock gave of the Cobra sniper he shot in the eye through the snipers rifle scope.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...3July07-02.jpg
Old January 4, 2013, 05:12 PM   #41
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
At most, it is a couple inches farther forward, not 6".
You are probably right, I just automatically look for the leg and then make a horizontal line 2/3 down the body and shoot. 32 Win spcl. 20 gauge slug or 44 mag make up for a little bit of being off. My buddy shoots for the head and he has more hogs than I do with his 38 spcl so he must be doing something right but both of us will pick our shots and like broadside as compared to straight on.

Adjustment made for a front quartering shot but I will wait if I can before shooting, rear quartering shot I just won't do.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 4, 2013, 06:18 PM   #42
rickyrick

Putting something heavy through the leg and heart does seen to make a lot of sense. I'm still going for the neck but that method seems sound too
Old January 4, 2013, 10:57 PM   #43
reynolds357

The front shoulders are good eating. The neck is good sausage. The head is good for nothing.
Old January 4, 2013, 11:08 PM   #44
solocam72

What reynolds357 said!