The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old November 2, 2012, 09:10 PM   #1
kip.duff

restore gun rights in ca help please

Convicted of 11359 H & S (possession of marijuana for sale- straight felony, not a "wobler") on Oct 1, 1999 in Orange County, California. No weapons involved. Spent 180 days in live-in recovery center in lieu of jail time. Completed probation Oct 2002. 1203.4 granted Sept 3rd, 2003. No law violations whatsoever since. Fully employed before, during, and after- continuous CA residency. According to legal info I have obtained, rights can be restored through California Certificate of Rehabilitation OR California Governor's Pardon. Have started filling out rehabilitation cert papers. Anyone familiar with this process/gone through it or something similar? Wanted to be sure if the legal site I got info from had the info correct: cert of rehab OR pardon: or cert of rehab AND pardon? Had large gun collection as hobby only prior to conviction and am looking forward to owning a few guns again if I can do so legally.

Thanks in advance, Kip.............
Old November 2, 2012, 09:24 PM   #2
TXAZ

Kip,
welcome to the board. I'm not a lawyer, but what you're trying to do needs a lawyer experienced in this process. I'd be very careful / wary of any advice you get off the Internet. If you want your rights restored, you need someone who knows the process in and out, not the opinion of a well wisher who has no liability in the situation.

Good luck!

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 2, 2012, 09:39 PM   #3
sigcurious

Resource

Here is a website run by a CA attorney who specializes in firearms law. Hopefully you can find some clarification in the resources he has provided. More prudently though it would be best to enlist the services of an attorney like him who specializes in firearms law.

This should also help you find more legal resources.
Old November 2, 2012, 10:12 PM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to The Firing Line, Kip!

Good luck! Please don't take this to be rude, but: Go find a lawyer and quit posting facts about your case on the internet. What you discuss with your lawyer is confidential, and protected by law. What you post on the internet is not. Besides, very few of us are licensed to practice law in California, and you have no way of judging our credentials.
Old November 2, 2012, 11:11 PM   #5
Frank Ettin
Staff

Posts 2, 3 and 4 cover the ground. Real life, serious, personal legal matters should not be discussed in public with a bunch of strangers.

The OP needs a lawyer and has gotten some help finding one. Nothing more to discuss here.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread