The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 12, 2012, 09:50 PM   #26
JWT

Owned one, swapped it out for something else - don't remember what. Gettiing it stripped down wasn't a problem as long as I had my rubber mallet. Reassembly was way too aggrevaring for my likes. Not impossible, but not intuitive like any other gun I own.
Old October 12, 2012, 10:16 PM   #27
jimbob86

Quote:
Boy, do those people make it seem a LOT easier then it looks.
Riding a bike is difficult until you do it a few times ......

Practice.

And stop beating on your pistol with a mallet!

Place the rear of the reciever (to remove grip frame) or muzzle (to install gri frame) on a block of wood and push down firmly on the grip frame ..... works, trust me.
Old October 12, 2012, 10:36 PM   #28
James K
Member In Memoriam

Like a couple of other posters, I get a bit tired of saying that you don't have to, and should not, remove the barrel to clean a Ruger .22 pistol. There is no need to do so. If you had a Colt Woodsman, would you unscrew the barrel every time you cleaned the gun? Well, pretend the Ruger is a Woodsman.

Jim
Old October 12, 2012, 11:24 PM   #29
Amsdorf

I have a confession to make. I never disassemble mine. Just blast it with brake cleaner, foaming bore cleaner, bore snake and then hose it with Ballistol.

I've got over 6,000 rounds through it.

So far, so good.

Old October 13, 2012, 08:50 PM   #30
surveyor

I knew better, but I did it anyway..

got tempted when I saw a MKIII comp/target model with a buhnell holosight for a decent price.. so it followed me home..(not a 22/45)

I was expecting it to be like every other ruger I have owned..good quality, a little rough on the inside, J frame like trigger...

so needless to say I disaaembled it and was going to clean it up..
who ever came up with the mag saftey well he is not on my christmas card list... it affects the trigger, the mag release, and the bolt lock...as well as how you assemble and dis assemble...

so armed with a little research, parts are on the way to make this a target pistol that I'll want to keep..

I knew better, but I did it anyway.. I can say with the mag saftey its one of the most involved pistols to take apart and put together.. as well as an example of the rough machine work with little attempt to smooth or polish, the internals to a decent state..(burrs, etc..)

for a pistol that the intended market is a target/comp pistol, you would think that it would be able to have the bolt lock open after last shot, press the mag release and have the mag drop free, put a new mag in and slingshot the bolt..in stock form it won't...

i"m hoping it will be a good shooter for silohutte when I'm done..

Last edited by surveyor; October 13, 2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old October 13, 2012, 09:58 PM   #31
jmortimer

If you add thee speed strip kit won't that solve the problem? Or does not not work as advertised?
http://majesticarms.com/id10.html
Old October 13, 2012, 10:52 PM   #32
surveyor

speed strip should solve lots of aggrivation with dissassembly...
3.2 bushing should solve the rest (or mk II bushing or bam or sam lam)
still won't hurt anything to do clean up/polish with 600 grit paper..

mk II bushing, VQ trigger and sear are ordered..

still thinking about speed strip..don't need the hammer and bushing though..

thanks for the link..
Old October 14, 2012, 08:46 PM   #33
Joe Chicago

I had a Ruger Mk II that fit my hand perfectly, never failed to function and was accurate. But it was an unholy beast to break down and clean so I traded it toward a rifle. I do not care how well a pistol shoots, if you cannot break it down easily to clean it is not a good design. I now have a SW 22A, which also never fails to function and is accurate, but I can break it down with no tools in around 30 seconds. It also costs far less than the Ruger.
Old October 15, 2012, 06:07 AM   #34
Pilot

If you use the manual and/or watch a Youtube vid, the MK II is not at all difficult to take apart nor put back together.

Last edited by Pilot; October 15, 2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old October 15, 2012, 09:11 AM   #35
Zhillsauditor

As I said earlier, dump the junk and buy a buckmark, or a S&W, or a Beretta. Then you won't have to hear the fanboys tell you how stupid you are for not being able to do something everyone complains about doing.
Old October 15, 2012, 09:30 PM   #36
jef2015

The first couple times taking the mark 3 apart can be frustrating. After you learn the reason the hammer and the 'dangle' have to be positioned the way they need to it's not that difficult. I can see why it would be extremely difficult before the internet.
Old February 16, 2014, 12:52 PM   #37
VaPlinker

22/45 FieldStrip problem (fix)

When I first field-stripped my 22/45 Lite, it was extremely hard to pull the main spring housing down, and also to push the barrel forward to remove it from the body after the bolt was removed. This was not just a little over snug. It took repeated hard whacks with a rubber mallet to remove the barrel. Reseating it back to where the pin at the top of the main spring housing could be inserted took more whacks, followed by whacking the spring housing.

I _Hate_ doing this.

After researching the problem on you-tube, I decided that the problem may be the tab that holds the barrel to the body. Looking at the underside of the barrel, I saw that the tab was gouging at the underside of the barrel in the space that the tab fits into.

I filed a very small layer off the top of the tab, and tried to refit the barrel. I repeated this until the barrel can be seated without tools, but still requires a good push.

Now I can remove & replace the barrel without a mallet, and since the hole in the barrel for the post of the main spring now lines up better with the corresponding hole in the body, the mainspring fits much better.

As long as I remember to manipulate the hammer in the proper position, I can now field-strip and reassemble my gun without problem.

It may be that when Ruger anodized the barrel, they made too thick of an anodized layer, making the parts not fit well.
Old February 16, 2014, 05:33 PM   #38
mmb713

I love my MKIII 22/45 and it's going nowhere but the first time I tried to reassemble it it almost went back to Ruger. I had a MKII Competition Target that I could reassemble with my eyes closed. The magazine disconnect on the MKIIIs is what screwed me up. Mag in, mag out, mag in, mag out. After rereading the instructions probably a half dozen times I finally got it but boy was I frustrated.

I eventually installed the Tandemkross bushing and removed the mag disconnect. World of difference! Back to the MKII reassembly, a much nicer trigger, and magazines now fall free.

Ruger's single action 22s are a PITA to break down and reassemble compared to other guns, especially the first time, but they are such good shooters I would never give mine up.
Old February 16, 2014, 06:54 PM   #39
CajunBass

The first couple of times I disassembled a MK III I had a problem. Then I sat down with the instruction book and really READ it, not skimmed it. I realized the reason you have to insert the magazine is to pull the trigger...then you take it out...when you reassemble it, you need to pull the trigger again...then you take it out. You hold the gun one way to get the hammer to fall one way....you hold it the other to get the hammer to fall the other way.

The gun is assembled tightly? Man, some people would grip if they got hung with a new rope. I'll bet if the gun just fell apart in you hand you'd grip about that. Yes, they're tight at first. Use a rubber hammer, or the side of a work bench, a hunk of 2X4. It won't hurt a thing. Before long it will loosen up.

Or as others have said, and I usually do, don't worry about it. You don't really NEED to take it off. Shoot, you don't even NEED to take it apart at all. I usually just spray it with gunscrubber, run a patch down the barrel, wipe it off, put a couple of drops of oil here and there, and call it a day.

BTW. I used to have an old Ruger Standard (AKA "Mark I). It literally did fall apart in my hands when I pulled the mainspring out. The upper just dropped off the lower. Still shot like a new one when it was reassembled.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 17, 2014, 06:13 PM   #40
Doc TH

Interesting varied experiences. The first target pistol the Navy issued to me was a target MKI. Could disassemble just with fingers. My own MKII target model is also easily broken down. I couldn't understand all the problems some seemed to have. Then one of my sons got a MKIII and asked for my help in breaking it down. What a surprise - it was a bear to take apart and reassemble, and yes, we had to do the rubber hammer routine. So I now accept all stories: some are simple and some are much more challenging. Still, they are accurate, reliable and robust and a good buy.