The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old September 16, 2012, 05:10 PM   #1
Gerry

Wheel Weights in Canada - Analysis

Alrighty, I just finished converting 400 lbs of mixed wheel weights into clean muffin-tin ingots today. My back is killing me.

Anyway, the ingots I made weight in at 280 lbs, and about 38 lbs of stuck-on weights that I haven't melted yet. So this means around 82 lbs of zinc, iron, clips, nuts & bolts, dross, and other unidentifiable crap made up the rest. That's close to an 80% yield. Could be worse!

I'm not kidding myself though, the party in Canada is not going to last forever. Soon the laws might change here and I'll be seeing more and more Zn and Fe. Before that happens, my goal is to have enough ingots stocked away to last me the rest of my life. I'm getting there.
Old September 16, 2012, 08:38 PM   #2
chris in va

Yup, stock up. I don't know if ingots can be shipped across the border or not.
Old September 17, 2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Gerry

Did you mean shipping my ingots south from Canada into the USA? As far as I know, the laws have already changed in several states and Americans collecting WW lead have reported some pretty disappointing yields as manufacturers and bigger auto service companies standardize their supply chain even in states without the restrictive laws.

I was partly bragging here

But seriously, the reality is that sooner or later the trend will cross the border. I already see more Fe ones, likely from newer model vehicles made in the USA. Luckily the Zn are mostly restricted to the big square stick-ons that are very obvious and still pretty rare.