The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 3, 2012, 02:18 PM   #1
savage1r

Bling Your Sling

A fun option for the survivalists in the group. Give it a watch and let me know what you think!

VIDEO
Old May 3, 2012, 02:49 PM   #2
shaunpain

These are quite common these days. Lots of uses for paracord and every one loves the stuff. I don't have any, only the original leather slings, but I wouldn't pass on one either.
Old May 3, 2012, 05:32 PM   #3
paknheat

Nice work. Gotta go find some 550 cord now.
Old May 3, 2012, 06:51 PM   #4
the rifleer

That guy sure likes para cord.
Old May 3, 2012, 07:09 PM   #5
UnbearablePanda

Well survival situation. Would much rather have paracord than a leather strap. If you get hit or cut by some random piece of misplaced brick or faucet (happend a couple times ;(. freaking faucet was sharp as hell) can be used a turnakit. Plus they do have camo paracord which would be even sexier.
Old May 3, 2012, 07:57 PM   #6
Jason_G

You can't use that paracord to make a loop sling like you can do with a good leather or web sling.

Carry some cordage in your pack, and a real sling on your rifle. How much space does a small spool of 550 cord take up? Not much in a bag.

Quote:
Well survival situation. Would much rather have paracord than a leather strap. If you get hit or cut by some random piece of misplaced brick or faucet (happend a couple times ;(. freaking faucet was sharp as hell) can be used a turnakit.
God forbid you ever did need a tourniquet, I doubt you'd be wanting to waste precious time unraveling all of that cord. Not real sure how great of a tourniquet 550 cord would make anyway. Plus, if you're out and about anywhere that you'd need a rifle, you really ought to have an IFAK/BOK ready to go.

Looks neat, but this is an arts and crafts project IMHO. Not knocking the guy's work, he obviously spent a lot of time on it, but I don't see it as being as utilitarian as I imagine others might.

Just my $0.02. YMMV.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America

Last edited by Jason_G; May 3, 2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old May 3, 2012, 08:01 PM   #7
Chris_B

That's pretty cool

I'm lazy; 70 bucks will get me a 1907 sling that will do anything I need a sling to do
Old May 3, 2012, 08:11 PM   #8
bpeezer

Real nice work on both of those slings. Even if you never have to use the cord, it's always satisfying to use something that you made by yourself.
Old May 3, 2012, 08:34 PM   #9
UnbearablePanda

Its one of those survival situations if your lost stranded on a island deal. You would be able to use the paracord for hundreds more than the leather sling.
Old May 3, 2012, 09:35 PM   #10
Jason_G

Quote:
Its one of those survival situations if your lost stranded on a island deal. You would be able to use the paracord for hundreds more than the leather sling.

No doubt cordage is one of the most useful things you could have in a pinch, but
I fail to see any situation that would place me on an island, stranded, with my rifle, but nothing else.

When I'm hunting, scouting, etc., I always carry a small lightweight pack, with a few important survival items in it, including some cordage and a FAK, among other things.

I guess I'm just not seeing how a cord sling is a better idea than a web sling or leather sling that does more to stabilize a rifle. I guess if all you use a sling for is to hang the rifle on your shoulder, then it wouldn't be much of a loss.

They do look cool.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old May 3, 2012, 09:42 PM   #11
jimbob86

That's a pretty crafty sling there .... but IIRC 550 cord is pretty stretchy for use as a sling, I think...... I'll keep the M1907's that I use.

I'll leave the 550 cord in the pack.
Old May 3, 2012, 09:52 PM   #12
UnbearablePanda

Well you never know! :P could be one of those Cast away moments. Plus 100 feet of paracord 550 is only 10 dollars!!! xD
Old May 3, 2012, 11:05 PM   #13
the rifleer

Quote:
God forbid you ever did need a tourniquet
In my shop class one of the multiple choice answers to a question regarding a head injury was "place a tourniquet around their neck" which is funny to most people (me included), but its sad because some people selected this as an answer.
Old May 4, 2012, 12:16 AM   #14
mrawesome22

Been using paracord as my bootlaces for a couple years. Lasts much longer than any other store bought lace, and I have 16 feet of it if I ever HAVE to use it.

Tie in some shellholders on that sling...

Sent from MIUI using Tapatalk 2.
Old May 4, 2012, 04:43 AM   #15
rickyrick

Here's a few examples, ................I am almost always on my older Android phone, so forgive me for not watching the video......but I think I know what you all are talking about.

Old May 4, 2012, 10:14 AM   #16
savage1r

Ok, I don't care what anyone else says, but THAT sling is freaking epic. If Thor were to own a shotgun, that's the sling he'd put on it. Total win! Those are some crazy ties.
Old May 4, 2012, 12:06 PM   #17
rickyrick

Why thank-you.

They are fairly simple to do....but its incredibly difficult to explain. The one with the ball is adjustable, the ball works like a button.

these are not very stretchy and are actually comfortable, even the narrower ones.
Old May 4, 2012, 01:04 PM   #18
L_Killkenny

Quote:
No doubt cordage is one of the most useful things you could have in a pinch, but
I fail to see any situation that would place me on an island, stranded, with my rifle, but nothing else.

When I'm hunting, scouting, etc., I always carry a small lightweight pack, with a few important survival items in it, including some cordage and a FAK, among other things.
Ya, been an issue of mine with all this wilderness survival crap we have on TV, books and the net today. I've watched plenty, read plenty and been part of message boards but come on, if you're not smart enough to bring lighters and matches, first aid, simple food to eat, etc do you think watching videos, reading books, paracord wrist bands and slings, etc is gonna save your ass you're a dead duck anyway. Best plan for survival? Be prepared ya smuck.

I'm not opposed to paracord items. I've made and use hat bands and will probably do a sling but they will never, ever get unwrapped.

LK
Old May 4, 2012, 01:23 PM   #19
zippy13

Very nice. Macrame reborn! Haven't done knotting since my navy and college days!
Old May 4, 2012, 01:25 PM   #20
UnbearablePanda

Fact is things can change FAST. Like the man in washington who died from hypothermia while trying to find safety for his wife and son. They were trapped in a car and nothing they could do. Did they expect to be stuck? Not the least chance. IMHO a bracelet is more viable than a lighter. Most people do not smoke, so carrying one everywhere is going to get clunky. (coming from a Zippo collector)
Old May 4, 2012, 01:35 PM   #21
rickyrick

My stuff pales in comparison to some of the sailors stuff I've seen pictures of. Mine aren't for survival purposes. Just didn't like many slings at the store for the prices.

I wanted to do a rifle stock like they do some of those boat oars. For one, I could not figure out a way to do and remain useful.
Old May 4, 2012, 02:01 PM   #22
MagnumWill

Frankly Savage, give a rudimentary guide on how to do it, and I would sticky this puppy. Very nice. You too rick, the shoulder pad is pretty cool :thumbsup:
Old May 4, 2012, 02:05 PM   #23
savage1r

Well, I'm not about to take credit for coming up with this, I used this youtube vieo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny06s...eature=mh_lolz
and went from there. Like I said, it's a fun project, but damn if it doesn't take forever.
Old May 4, 2012, 02:13 PM   #24
rickyrick

Dang video won't load, gonna have to fire up the laptop later.

You got a picture?
Old May 4, 2012, 04:53 PM   #25
Carne Frio

Those slings look very nice. Thanks for sharing.
If your into para cord at all, then you should
check out Stormdrane's blog:

http://stormdrane.blogspot.com/