The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 19, 2010, 11:34 AM   #1
cw_mi

Some IWB holster questions

I currently carry either a S&W.40C or a G27 in a Comptac Mtac holster. I'm a larger guy and overall this holster works for me. It conceals nice and is comfortable. The only drawbacks is it is a little cumbersome to put on.
I'm just wondering if there are any other recommendations for an IWB holster that conceals well, is comfortable and is relatively easier to put on type of holster.
Old July 19, 2010, 11:45 AM   #2
The Great Mahoo

When I carry IWB, I tote a Glock 36 in a Dakota Defender from K&D Leather. I've replaced the clips with black C-clips, which blend in very well with a black belt, but look ok on the dark-brown that I usually wear. The holster is tuckable, but I still blouse my shirt out a bit to fold over the top of the belt line and hide the brackets if I am feeling a bit self concious about it.

All in all, the Dakota Defender is a great holster that rides comfortably and works great. I've been considering a new one for my Sp101, but I find myself carrying OWB these days more and more often. And I 'm not sure I can carry the extra width of the revolver in my pants as comfortably.
Old July 19, 2010, 11:53 AM   #3
stargazer65

You could try a Cross Breed QwikClip. I haven't tried out this model yet, but it looks promising.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Ho...%2cProductName
Old July 19, 2010, 01:03 PM   #4
The Great Mahoo

As a side note, I don't care for a single clip on an IWB holster; they tend to be too large to blend in well enough. I know most people don't notice anything, but they are still, in my experience, larger than I am comfortable.

I have a tuckable IWB from High-Noon for my revolver which has this single point attachment, that clip is huge! I seldom use it now, and only with an untucked shirt to cover it, which kind of defeats the purpose of a tuckable-holster...
Old July 19, 2010, 01:33 PM   #5
stargazer65

Quote:
I don't care for a single clip on an IWB holster; they tend to be too large to blend in well enough
That's a good point I hadn't thought of since I don't own of them. I know, however, the gun belts can have velcro back so you don't have to go over the top.
Old July 19, 2010, 10:36 PM   #6
OldLincoln

Silent thunder

I encourage you to look at Tucker Gun Leather offerings, particularly their Silent Thunder. It is a single clip tuckable holster that supports 1911's and down and you can order the clip in normal, slim, and others. The holster is a Kydex outer with leather inner.

I have one for my PM9 and just clip in on and go. It's easy to forget you have it on.
Old July 21, 2010, 11:58 AM   #7
cw_mi

Thanks for the replies. I will look into some of the holster's mentioned. I always thought the single clip ones were not so good since they could move around and stuff.
Old July 21, 2010, 12:54 PM   #8
TylerD45ACP

While were one the subject of IWB's. I got a Rossi Leather IWB for my SW1911 and having problems with it unsnapping from my belt (the whole holster, it has no saftety snap ). Does it just need more breaking in you think or do I have a problem.(It is pretty new) I'm not carrying with that holster until I know its not going to come out with the gun. I kinda made an improvised IWB but was just wondering thoughts. The snaps seem to be too weak to hold it even when it's broken in. Any recommendations for a good IWB 1911 holster.
Old July 21, 2010, 07:58 PM   #9
cw_mi

For those of you using the silent thunder , do you find it moving around much ? I'm just really hesitant on a single clip holster.
Old July 23, 2010, 02:08 PM   #10
CMDrew6115

UBG Striker is what I wear and it's very comfortable.