The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 15, 2010, 07:18 PM   #1
Mausermolt

SW9VE...should i make the trade?

i have a Ruger P85 MkII that i like...kinda. my first handgun was a 1911 so ive been spoiled with accuracy right out the start. one thing i cant stand is having a Firearm that i cant hit anything with. my ruger is a great pistol i like the feal and everything but my expectations on accuracy have not been met, i would like to be able to kill clay pigeons at at least 15yds with one shot, 1911 no prob, P85 takes a few rnds to kill the clay's. now i had a guy offer me to trade the ruger for A 2009 SW9VE+$25. my question is will my expectations be met in the accuracy department? and is that a fair trade? i know the trigger sucks in the sigma but i think that wouldnt be to much of a problem, i plan on using the pistol as a beater to carry around in my pickup and on the ranch shooting rabbits, badgers, targets,the voracious beer can and maby coyotes . so what do yall think?
Old February 15, 2010, 07:22 PM   #2
lambertsteeth

The Sigma I had was plenty accurate. The trigger sucked though. LONG squeeze, STIFF squeeze. If you can live with a trigger that is worse than your Ruger, yes.
Old February 15, 2010, 09:40 PM   #3
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Not sure about the trade, not having either of the two pistols that you are considering; however, you do mention liking the 1911s accuracy.

For most 1911s part of that accuracy comes from the SA trigger.

So, personally I would want to try out the Sigmas before trading; they are known on internet boards as having a less than stellar trigger; although S&W supposedly will clean the trigger up if you are willing to send it in to them (again information from forum, no personal experience.)

Perhaps have someone else try out your Ruger, and see how they do?

Now, go figure...
Old February 15, 2010, 10:00 PM   #4
angel71rs

I think my Sigma is plenty accurate, more accurate than I am. Trigger can only be worked on under warranty if you have a problem with it, i.e. sticky return, not for roughness, stiff pull, etc. Some were getting worked on for these things, but seems that is out now since S&W found out about it. But the trigger is easy to improve yourself; I just did it on mine, very happy with results:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=398271
Old February 15, 2010, 10:07 PM   #5
abber

I can easily hit clay pigeons at 15 yards with mt SW40VE. I would think 9mm to be more accurate if anything. The trigger isn't great, but if you can shoot a Sigma well, you'll likely improve with everything else you shoot.
Old February 15, 2010, 10:08 PM   #6
KenpoTex

Does the Ruger truly lack the inherent accuracy to consistently hit a clay-pigeon at 15 yards, or is it your shooting? (trigger control issue?)

If it's the latter then I doubt that getting a different pistol, particularly one with the long heavy trigger of the Sigma, is going to make things better.

Matt K.
Old February 15, 2010, 11:05 PM   #7
Mausermolt

i really like the trigger on the Ruger. i just dont know what it is about it. like i said the 1911- super accurate the ruger not so much. but i asked the guy if i could test fire the thing so we will see how it goes
Old February 15, 2010, 11:23 PM   #8
Mosin44az

Although that's a fair enough trade (new Sigmas can go for $300, your Ruger is being valued at 325 then), I don't think you are gaining much in accuracy because of the heavy, almost DAO Sigma trigger.

The Ruger obviously can also fill the role you're planning on using the Sigma for. If you just want to try something different, go ahead--you're not getting ripped off in the deal.

Maybe try the Sigma first, see if it's what you want? It's not for everyone with that trigger.

Last edited by Mosin44az; February 15, 2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old February 15, 2010, 11:25 PM   #9
Cornhusker77

When I took my CCW class, I used my SW9VE to qualify.
Our instructor had us warming up and just kind of having some fun before we got to the actual qualifying, and I was shooting low and left....way low and left.
I told him I maybe needed to adjust the sights (the gun was only a couple days old), and he said "Let me see it".
He took out his knife, cut a slit in the cardboard target backer and sliped a playing card into the slit.
He paced off 10 yards, turned, fired and split that playing card with my Sigma.
"nothing wrong with those sights" he said.
Yeah, the Sigma has pretty good accuracy, but like they said, the trigger is stiff, like a double action revolver.
I'd put a box through it before I committed to the trade, but I love my Sigma.
Old February 15, 2010, 11:33 PM   #10
41mag10mm

Handgun Accuracy

What ammo have you used for testing accuracy from your Ruger? Have you tried different brands and bullet weights? Not sure what the twist rate is on the P85 but you may be using a bullet to heavy or to light for the gun. Years ago the most popular 9mm load was the 147gr but now it seems to be the warp speed 115gr. If it were mine I would do some experimenting with different brands before giving up on it. Go someplace where you can use a rest and do some slow seated accuracy testing.
Old February 16, 2010, 12:27 AM   #11
Mausermolt

ive used 147 GDHP and 115grn loads in it, American eagle, WWB, Seller and Bellot, my reloads (WW231), on a bench rest, off hand standing. i just cant seem to get a good group! my definition of a good group is clay pigeon size target at 15-20 yds. so i duno hopefully i can shoot the sigma and get some better accuracy. what kind of trigger pull can i modify it to get? 4lbs or glockish would be acceptable.
Old February 16, 2010, 06:54 AM   #12
spacecoast

I shoot my P345 .45 ACP Ruger quite a bit more accurately at 15 yards than my 9mm P95, which I attribute to the longer barrel (4.2" vs. 3.9") and the fact that it's a single stack magazine and fits my hand better. The barrel on your P85 is plenty long for good accuracy (4.5"), so you might try a pistol with a slimmer grip (as you note you already have with a 1911). I think the Sigma is a double-stack 9mm, so you may not gain much if anything with it.

That being said, a clay pigeon is 4.25" in diameter and should be relatively easy with either pistol at 15 yards, one handed or two. I think you might need to work a bit more on trigger control. The P85 should have a relatively light SA trigger after the first round (assuming you rack it with the safety on).
Old February 16, 2010, 09:17 AM   #13
iblong

NO
Old February 16, 2010, 09:19 AM   #14
goodspeed(TPF)

I would shoot it first if you can. I would trade.

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old February 16, 2010, 11:19 AM   #15
Ron Bernert

There are endless arguments regarding the SW9VE on TFL, but I really like mine, and I like my SW40VE also. They seem to fit my hand better than a Glock, and with the polishing of the trigger parts and the removal of the pigtail spring, I find them to be a great gun. The Ruger is also a nice gun to have, and it raises the question of your sights or shooting style. Try shooting the Ruger from bench rest and see if it is you or the gun.. Having a "flinch" with the Ruger will not go away if you switch guns...
Old February 16, 2010, 05:03 PM   #16
jersey_emt

Quote:
what kind of trigger pull can i modify it to get? 4lbs or glockish would be acceptable.
I'm not a Sigma expert....but I extremely doubt that you'll be able to work that heavy trigger down to 4 pounds, or anything close to 4 pounds for that matter.

Please check out WhichGun.com, a firearms reference and buying guide.
Old February 16, 2010, 05:19 PM   #17
Cornhusker77

I don't think you'd want it that light.
Old February 16, 2010, 07:08 PM   #18
KAK

For God's sake keep the Ruger. Dont buy a Sigma EVER!!!

The Ruger is a way better gun.

Last edited by KAK; February 16, 2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old February 16, 2010, 07:42 PM   #19
Mausermolt

thanks for all your imput, the guy called me a few minutes ago and baisicly said the sigma was worth $400 bucks and he didnt want anything less than 360 for it and wanted me to pitch in about 100 buck to even up the deal AND he said if i wanted to try it out we could trade pistols, and trade back if i didnt like the sigma. sounds like a sour deal to me so i respectfully said no i gess i will have to live with my ruger for now and just burn more ammo!
Old February 16, 2010, 07:51 PM   #20
41mag10mm

If possible, locate a respected gunsmith in your area and go talk to him about your Ruger. Or, maybe even a better option would be call Ruger customer support. Ruger is well known for their excellent customer service. Since you've already tried most of what a knowledgable customer would do to identify the problem, they should be willing to take a look at the pistol for you. Maybe you have a barrel that's way out of tolerance and is not locking up properly. I've shot many a clay pidgeon and would be really unhappy if I couldn't bust'em regularly at 15 yards.

It's been awhile but I've dealt with Ruger customer service in the past and they are great people.
Old March 11, 2010, 12:21 PM   #21
chuckroast

Sigma SW9VE vs. Glock 17

Everybody has an opinion. I own both. Both are fine handguns. I read a recent review that states out the positives for the Smith. Check it out here

http://pocket-defense.com/2010/03/sm...es-9mm-review/
Old March 11, 2010, 12:23 PM   #22
Microgunner

I prefer the Sigma to the P85.