The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 23, 2009, 03:50 PM   #1
Goaliehost

8mm Reloading quesion

Hi,

i am just getting into reloading and came across a possible issue that some of you might know the answer to. I want to reload 8mm to shoot out of my K98 and Hakim. However i noticed that 8mm Mauser is actually 7.92mm so i was wondering can i load .323 bullets (Sierra's 8mm bullets) and shoot them or do i need to find a different diameter bullet to load. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old November 23, 2009, 04:04 PM   #2
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. Found this information, hope it helps.
Quote:
The 8mm Mauser, also known as the 7.92x57mm, is one of the truly great military cartridges. Adopted in the Model 88 commission rifle, the 8mm Mauser was the first successful rimless military cartridge. Along with France's 8mm Lebel and the 303 British, the 8mm was also one of the first military rounds to use smokeless powder. Designated as the 8x57mm(J), the cartridge used a .318" diameter, 227 grain round-nose bullet at around 2100 fps. This was fairly typical performance for military cartridges of that time. In 1905, the cartridge was revised to give much higher velocities and consequently, substantially flatter trajectories. The redesigned cartridge used a pointed 154 grain bullet of slightly larger (.323") diameter at 2880 fps. While this may not sound radical by today's standards, in 1905 it was revolutionary. Designated as the 8x57(JS), the new high-velocity round made accepted infantry tactics of the time obsolete overnight. This set off a massive race among the ordnance departments of every major world power to keep pace with the German developments. In the United States, introduction of the 8x57(JS) caused us to revise the 30-03 cartridge, adopted only two years earlier, to the updated 30-06 design so well known today. It was no coincidence that the revised 30-06 performed very similar to the 8x57(JS) cartridge. In its 8x57(JS) format, this round served Germany through both world wars. In addition to its military duties, the 8x57mm has been an extraordinarily successful sporting cartridge in any region where German influence is strong. However, much of the popularity of the 8x57(JS) is due to the rifle for which it was originally introduced-the 98 Mauser. The 8x57mm and a rimmed version of the same case have been chambered in a variety of action types. As a sporting cartridge, the 8x57mm will handle the same range of big game as the venerable 30-06. In the United States, reloading for any 8mm cartridge has been somewhat handicapped by a limited selection of bullets. While not as diverse a selection as the .30 caliber line, Sierra offers four bullets suitable for the 8x57(JS). The 150 grain Spitzer is probably the best all-around choice for deer-sized game, while the heavier 175 grain Spitzer is a good choice for larger game. Sierra's 200 grain MatchKing is the first U.S. made match bullet in this bore size, and will wring out the best accuracy potential of a good 8x57mm rifle. The 220 grain Spitzer boat tail can be used for targets, but is too heavily constructed to ensure reliable expansion on game at 8x57(JS) velocities. We obtained excellent accuracy with the 8x57mm and found it to be an easy cartridge to load for. Due to the changes in bore diameter (the .318" J version vs. the later .323" JS version), caution should be used in loading for any 8mm Mauser that has not been thoroughly checked. No German military rifles manufactured after 1905 used the .318" bore, but if any doubt exists, have the bore slugged by a competent gunsmith. The 8x57mm cartridge has a long and illustrious history and is certain to be with us for many years to come.
Old November 23, 2009, 06:17 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

I was just about to say that.

Goaliehost,

Welcome to the forum.

The suggestion in that paragraph to slug your bore is a good one. You just clean the bore, run an oily patch through for light lubrication, then tap a pure lead ball into the muzzle with a a short length of wood or brass rod and a light hammer. I use the Hornady 36 caliber swaged pure lead ball for 8 mm. Once it is in the muzzle, just use a cleaning rod to push it down the bore. Push it slowly so you can feel if there are any tight spots? If so, they can be cleared by firelapping later. Once the ball pops out in the chamber, you can apply a micrometer to it to find your actual groove diameter.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; November 24, 2009 at 10:25 PM. Reason: typo fix
Old November 24, 2009, 09:34 PM   #4
Goaliehost

Thanks so much, i appreciate the info. it answered all my questions.