The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 22, 2009, 08:29 PM   #26
GeauxTide

I'd put my boot in his groin and take his rifle back to camp.
Old November 22, 2009, 09:36 PM   #27
Saguaro Firearms

Just got an email back from the ranch. the guide said he did in fact see that it wasn't down. and agrees that it should have had a second shot in her after only a few minutes, but yet still walked away from the animal. I am absolutely disgusted with both the guide, and the shooter. I will not be returning there ever again. and everyone right Shame on them. both of them.
Old November 24, 2009, 06:18 PM   #28
rodwhaincamo

This "hunter" behaved both disgustingly and unethically. You did right.
Old November 25, 2009, 08:42 PM   #29
Kreyzhorse

You did right. Never let an animal suffer.

I'll relate what I saw last weekend too.

Last weekend was opening deer season here in Kentucky. My buddy shot a decent 10 pointer and as we dropped it off to get processed, I noticed a doe that had been head shot. Not my preferred kill method but hey, quick and painless, so I thought.

The boys working there pulled the doe up on a chain pull and got the skin off her. At that point, everyone was shocked to see that the doe had been shot at least 4 times in the top rear quarter. The shooter was in a tree stand and it looked like he shot right above her. Her rear end was tore up with bullet holes. She had also been shot once in the ribs. Finally, as mentioned, she was shot in the head.

As I looked at this doe, I guessed she was shot once in spine and dropped. As she tried to crawl away, they put 3 more rounds in her rear quarter without bothering to get out of the stand. Those didn't kill her, so the hunter got out of the stand and shot her once through the ribs. The shot was too far back for a lung shot, so it didn't do the job. Finally, they got around to killing her with a head shot.

Too me, if you can't do the right thing while hunting, you shouldn't be hunting.

Again, you did the right thing. I wish every hunter out there did too.
Old November 26, 2009, 09:51 AM   #30
Remingtonvadeer

That is just bout the most darnest thing to watch a animal suffer! I would have finished him off, why watch him. That guy must have been speacial in the head!You did the right thing though going to go put it down instead of watching that..
Old November 26, 2009, 10:14 AM   #31
Edward429451

Last edited by Edward429451; November 26, 2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old November 26, 2009, 10:55 AM   #32
ojibweindian

You did the right thing.
Old November 27, 2009, 03:54 PM   #33
shoot870p

certainly

you did as you should have in my opinion. good job.
Old November 27, 2009, 07:31 PM   #34
hardluk1

You did the right thing here. The problem was the hunter was a disgrace and the guys that pass them selfs off as guides are the worse possible to allow the hunter to do nothing. They should have been telling the (hunter) to shoot again and again till it was died or made the finish shot them selfs. Sounds like a real first class operation so besure all know the name of this place so all can stay away.
Old November 28, 2009, 08:23 PM   #35
458winshooter

Humane shot

First off I think you did the right thing.The person that I find at most fault is the guide he should have stayed until they were able to walk up and inspect the animal.It almost sounds like he was more interested in a profitable hunt than a proper one.
Old November 28, 2009, 11:00 PM   #36
Balog

You done good.

I'd be interested in knowing the name of this place. If enough people call them and express their displeasure maybe they'll reform their standards.
Old November 29, 2009, 01:06 PM   #37
sc928porsche

Sounds like the ranch needs a new guide and that guide should not be allowed into the field.
Old November 29, 2009, 01:30 PM   #38
williamd

You were right. Would have been difficult not to punch the guys clock.
Old November 29, 2009, 02:02 PM   #39
fastforty

I've never seen a better situation for the old saying....

"A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do."

You stepped up to the plate & did the right thing.

You ARE a man, and a respectable one at that.
Old November 29, 2009, 02:06 PM   #40
pax

Send the guide -- and the ranch itself -- a link to this thread. There is a clear consensus here about acceptable and unacceptable hunter ethics. That ranch will lose business if this is typical of their practices.

pax
Old November 29, 2009, 02:35 PM   #41
stonedog406

ditto on the responses

but on a slight tangent, these Bison "hunts" are nothing but "shoots". Maybe something has been lost in these types of "hunting" scenarios. There are no wild herds of buffalo on these ranches and the only wild herd left is more or less domestic as it pertains to fear of humans. It's like going out to the family ranch and "hunting" a nice beef cow. That said, if someone wants to spend their money that way, I am all for personal choices..
Old November 29, 2009, 03:35 PM   #42
lt dan

once more it goes to show that there is a huge difference between a shooter and a hunter. but don't leave it there, report the coward!!!
Old November 29, 2009, 05:31 PM   #43
Lawyer Daggit

Clearly he behaved unethically, and you did the right thing.
Old November 29, 2009, 07:12 PM   #44
Saguaro Firearms

i did think about sending the ranch a link to this, but i asked his side of the story and he tells me the animal was shot in the spine and was numb, looked like it was shot in the hips to me. either way i dont think they agree with my side of the story. which is why i posted it in the first place. i dont know how he could have possibly known what that animal was feeling. unless maybe he takes one in the spine for himself and fills us all in on whats goin on in the pain department. im still debating on releasing the name of the outfitters, i know you folks all have different opinions on that subject, i would like to know what you guys think. i dont need anyone calling or harassing on my behalf. what do you guys think? and yes i wanted to punch both the guide and the hunter.
Old November 29, 2009, 09:25 PM   #45
cornbush

I agree with you on this
Quote:
i dont know how he could have possibly known what that animal was feeling. unless maybe he takes one in the spine for himself and fills us all in on whats goin on in the pain department.
I would send him a link to this forum and put the name up so no one else supports their "operation". I wont call and raise a stink, but they wont ever get my money.
Old November 30, 2009, 02:24 AM   #46
lt dan

be careful guys there is always two sides to a story.( although this time seems to be the exception)
Old November 30, 2009, 11:42 AM   #47
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Sure, the two-sides thing can commonly be a problem. The fact remains that if an animal is wounded, it should then be finished off ASAP. That doesn't mean one should approach on a dead run, but certainly it's unethical to just stand around and wonder if the animal will maybe die soon.
Old December 1, 2009, 07:16 PM   #48
James R. Burke

You did the correct thing. People make bad shots but waiting and watching that for that long is plain out inhuman. You should have taken the back of your hand a b_ _ _ _ slaped him silly. Not really bad news when guns are involved just makes my blood boil to be so cruel. So dont second guess what you done, you done the correct thing.
Old December 4, 2009, 04:56 AM   #49
infntryblu

Location: i'm a new snow bird south in the winter north in the summer
I'm the second hunter in the cabin. When saguaro brought the situation to my attention I couldn't believe what I saw. My grandfather started teaching me to hunt almost 60 years ago as a young child. First rule of hunting is a good clean kill, or follow up shot. I do not hunt for trophies, and never have. I knew that the animal was spinal shot. I've seen a few. The time was more like twenty minutes, I haven't run a sub 5 minute half mile in a long time. The shooter is to blame for not finishing of his game. The guide has the ultimate blame though. He wanted complete control during the hunt. For some reason he was in a hurry the whole time we were there. He was in such a hurry to follow the herd that he left a CRIPPLED animal on the field. In the film we got of the hunt he took off with two other hunters chasing the herd. Neither of the two hunters with him had a weapon. I'm not going to relate to what happened next.

This is the second hunt I've been on at this ranch. The last hunt in 2006 was awesome. It took me most of the day to get in on a good animal, and three lung shots with a 44 mag at 30 yds or less, and I had the guide cap my animal with a head shot. I did not enjoy this trip. It wasn't a hunt, it was hurry, hurry, hurry, and lets chase them with the truck.

An off hand shot at 150 yds on a moving target, I wouldn't take that shot, and it was my rifle. I've taken time to read your comments. I'm a little hard core, ie drill sgt in FULL METAL JACKET, so I really needed to calm down. I can't tell you how irate I was. I will notify the owner/rancher of my feelings and the messages in this forum.

I'm new to the firing line, I'll be back
Old December 4, 2009, 06:22 AM   #50
shortwave

Quote:
I`m new to the firing line, I`ll be back
Welcome infntryblu, glad to have you on board.