The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 29, 2009, 02:23 AM   #1
Waterengineer

Fortune Magazine list of guns

I was bouncing around on the internet in my insomnia and ran into this.

It is a pretty good list. In fact there is a gun on the list I never heard of before. So I learned something........

Bring your money.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/...une/index.html
Old October 29, 2009, 03:12 AM   #2
Scorch

Thanks for the eye candy!
Old October 29, 2009, 06:18 AM   #3
DRice.72

Beautiful, I would love to be able to actually see any of those up close.
Old October 29, 2009, 12:13 PM   #4
BigJimP

A nice collection of guns ......thanks for sharing the list.
Old October 29, 2009, 09:11 PM   #5
javven

Interesting collection - nice to see the Superposed in there
Old October 30, 2009, 07:29 PM   #6
chuckles

The Fine Gun Room at the local Bass Pro had a Purdey set a year or so ago with the Ivory handled accessories, Sterling oil bottles, etc and priced at the bargain deal of $240,00.00. It was beautiful. They usually have all the top brands in stock. Just take your drool cup to protect the finish on those stocks.
Old October 30, 2009, 08:13 PM   #7
Blue Grass

Reminds me of looking at Playboy magazine.Very nice on the eyes, just out of my price range.
Old October 30, 2009, 08:28 PM   #8
Lurch37

That Cosmi Autoloader is a unique one. Over 100 hand fitted parts and holds up to 8 shells in the buttstock? Cool.
Old October 30, 2009, 08:38 PM   #9
dalecooper51

Got to handle a Purdey double rifle in .450 today. The shop owner made me wear a bib because I might have been drooling a bit. The $5500 price tag is way out of my price range.

Also saw an Italian made Sig over under there. Who makes them? The action looked just like the Perazzi in the link.
Old October 31, 2009, 05:29 AM   #10
Waterengineer

Lurch, that was the gun I had not heard of before (see my O.P., above)

dc, $5,500 for a Purdy "sounds" like a steal. I didn't know they made anything that inexpensive. Besides being outside the budget, it gets even more outside the budget because you have to schedule a trip to Africa to try it out.

I can't answer the question about the Sig though but it is a good question. I will stand at the ready hoping someone else knows.
Old October 31, 2009, 07:36 PM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I've been fortunate in that I have fired 6 out of the 10. Being a member of The Geezer Squad means I get to share their toys.

I've shot 3 or 4 Purdeys. They point nicely.

So did half a dozen Elsies.

Browning Broadway trap models will spoil ya.

So will Kreighoffs and MX8s.

And a Model 21 can find clays all by itself and reduce them to rubble.

However, both my entry level Beretta O/U and a passel of 870s also do a nice job at obliterating targets without leaving the kids hungry and shoeless.
Old October 31, 2009, 08:46 PM   #12
williamd

Have had the pleaseure of owning all but the Boss, Cosmi and Conneticut. Have shot a Conneticut and will not trade my M21 for it! Not all mine are ultra high grade .. but they are good enough for who they are for!!
Old November 4, 2009, 12:01 AM   #13
zippy13

I've never seen a Cosmi, anyone out there had an encounter with one?
With 8 shells in the stock, it may be the ultimate HD gun.
Old November 4, 2009, 06:58 AM   #14
SeekHer

I've lusted after the Cosmi for 20+ yrs after shooting one in Italy and have been talking with the owners these last few months about getting a pair in 16 and 20 bore as they don't have my desired 28 bore but they're thinking about it so I'm not going to order them yet...

What's so neat about the gun is that it was designed in the 1930s and other then changing the metals used and now using CNC, remains untouched...

dalecooper51 -- Is that .450 Purdey a hammer gun perchance? It just may be for blackpowder loads and thusly so cheap or it's really beat up and doesn't have its accoutrements with case...If it's for NE (Nitro Express) rounds then they have missed a number in the front of that $5,500 price tag, at least a one without and a two with...

I've got the Brownings, Krieghoffs, L.C Smith (Elsie) and a real Winchester 21 not the Conn Shotguns version (which I think is actually better)--just not in those grades...I've shot the Perazzi and think that the Fabbri is a little overrated by the author--a Beamer not a Lambo and they will be closing down soon as the brothers are retiring and none of their offspring want to continue making guns...My uncle has a 1/2 pair of Boss and the thing I don't like of the Purdey is that they cock on closing and not opening like other guns do--I find them a lot stiffer to close then say Holland and Holland or Westley Richards guns...

Conn. Shotguns also makes a copy of the A.H. Fox SxS gun that Teddy (TR) took with him to Africa and throughout the USA and the Galazan O/U along with their on RBL which just launched with great acclaim and their newest contribution their A-10 O/U which is getting very good reviews...

When the human race dies out, it will be because it was brainwashed to be so totally, completely, utterly safe that it no longer dared to keep on living