The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 24, 2009, 03:41 AM   #1
spyderdude

Remington 887 Nitro Mag

I was flipping through the latest issue of American Rifleman and came across an article for Remington's new pump shotgun. I'm a sucker for ugly and yet practical firearms which is why I own an AK, Benelli Super Nova, and Glock handguns. I may consider this one for a field and sporting shotgun given that it is a Remington and they're known for quality firearms. I hope they come out with a defense model soon too!

I still love my Remington 870 though!
Old June 24, 2009, 11:32 AM   #2
publius

i like the way the gun sounds but I'm skeptical that it will make it. rem. is competing directly with a proven design (benelli Nova) at the same time they are somewhat competing with their own 870.
Old June 24, 2009, 01:32 PM   #3
RoscoeC

That baby is on sale right now at Cabelas. Got a flyer a couple of days ago with it listed. I can't remember for sure, but I think they had it for something like $337.00.

Tempting.
NRA Life Member
Old June 24, 2009, 06:43 PM   #4
TxGun

I've been thinking about an 887 since they were announced. Hopefully, there will be a "tactical" or "defense" model out soon, or 18 1/2" - 20" accessory barrels offered. If not, I may have to buy one, cut the barrel to about 20" and replace the bead or add HiViz sights to the rib. (Yes, I know I'll lose the choke system. I don't care. I've got no end of bird guns, including a half dozen 870 WMs). What I want is a tactical shotgun that is 99% corrosion proof for $300-350. (And yes, I'm familiar with the Nova). My bird guns I can baby; my HD/SD gun I'd like to be "bullet proof", LOL. This 887 could just be a low/no maintenance "Glock" of shotguns.

Last edited by TxGun; June 24, 2009 at 06:52 PM.