The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 28, 2006, 01:31 PM   #1
mordis

Anyone tried Skyy Industries CPX-1

HI, I was at the Ft.Wayne In gun show recently with my father in law, and while there i noticed a new gun from a new company. The gun the cpx-1 from skyy industries in 9mm. its about the size of a 9000fs but selling for around $200. I havnt purchased it yet, but from my initial handlings of it, it feels great in the hand,the base of the mag had a grove for the thinger.

The gun i was looking at was a earlier model that only had 9 round mags, but all the newer ones now come standard with 11 round magazines.

The sights were standard three dots, easy to line up, tho the lack of a tritium nightsight inserts for them is a real bummer.

If you go to their website, you can peruse there forums, were youll prolly notice some complaints about ftf, fte and light primer strikes. From what i have read on the forums and in concealed carry magazine they have fixed those problems, tho some still have issues with wally world white box.

So before i get this pistol anyone here ever shoot one, if so please tell me how it went for you.

P.s. Also at the gun show, i saw a gun from a guy who bought out a jennings factory, i think the name is jimez(spelling) his guns look nice as well, but i still doubt anything that comes from a jennings factory.

edit thumb=thinger.
Old November 28, 2006, 08:20 PM   #2
Gary L. Griffiths

Haven't seen the Skyy in the flesh, but would be interested.

Supposedly they're coming out with a 9mm that's about the size of a Rohrbaugh but for a fraction of the price. I'll definitely be interested, if they prove reliable!
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old November 28, 2006, 08:42 PM   #3
cheddar

I shot a sky once. I dont know what model it was? The spent casings hit me right smack dab in the middle of my eyes. The recoil wasnt overwhelming but it was difficult to handle in the small package. I didnt enjoy shooting it. Just my opinion.
Old November 29, 2006, 02:58 PM   #4
denfoote

It's hauntingly similar to the Kel-Tec P11.
I had the chance to examine both side by side and was struck by that fact!!
I'm told, although I can't verify this, that the SKYY was indeed a copy of the Kel-Tec!!
My impression was one of being singularly unimpressed!!!
I understand that KT has finally come out with it's much anticipated and much hyped PF-9, which I believe is meant to directly compete with the SKYY product. If interested, you may want to check it out before you buy!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old November 29, 2006, 03:03 PM   #5
buzz_knox

Quote:
I understand that KT has finally come out with it's much anticipated and much hyped PF-9, which I believe is meant to directly compete with the SKYY product. If interested, you may want to check it out before you buy!!
The PF-9 was intended to compete with the Kahr. Skyy has a couple of copies . . . I mean, models on the way to compete with the KT .32 and .380 and I believe a single stack version of their pistol will be forthcoming to compete with the PF-9.

Beyond it's apparent desire to copy rather than innovate, Skyy also has the problem of a VP who come onto forums posing as a consumer, badmouths the competition, but isn't fired when busted.
Old November 30, 2006, 10:32 AM   #6
Te Anau

Quote:
tho some still have issues with wally world white box.
If any gun is going to have issues,it will most likely be with WUSS box.
Old November 30, 2006, 01:24 PM   #7
denfoote

I've shot WWWB for years without any trouble!!
I buy the stuff by the case!!
Old November 30, 2006, 06:01 PM   #8
mordis

well, on the sky forums, the officals from the company swear up and down they are not copying anything from keltec, it may have the same dimensions as the keltec gun, but what i want it know, is if they both run off the same type of operationg system. If that is the case, then ya, its a copy of keltec, if not then i dont think people should call them a copy.
Old November 30, 2006, 09:08 PM   #9
denfoote

I dunno if it's a direct copy or not.
Probably not because that would involve patent infringment issues that somebody here would have heard of!!!
The two are VERY similar!!!
If it were me, I would buy the Kel-Tec solely because it has been on the market longer and has had the bugs worked out of it's operating system!!
But, then again, I'm not in the market for an inexpensive pocket pistol!!
Old December 4, 2006, 12:20 PM   #10
TyBryner

I don't know how heavy the trigger pull is on the thing, since I haven't seen one in person. That said, the first thing I thought when I looked at it was "why did they bother with a safety, it's DAO."

The only DAO autoloader I own is a kel-tec, is it common to put safety levers on DAO handguns?
Old December 4, 2006, 09:02 PM   #11
varoadking

Had one - firning pin broke...twice. Sold it...

Had a nice trigger action. Other than that - complete crap. :barf:
Old December 4, 2006, 09:15 PM   #12
Impreza

It is a kel-tec knock off but does have stainless slide and barrel and better fit and finish.

the kel-tec pf9 has many issues still...www.ktog.org
Old December 5, 2006, 11:30 AM   #13
vertigoing

Everyone brings up the subject that Skyy is a copy of Kel-Tec. Then the 1911's that Kimber, S&W, Colt, and about everyone else make is a copy of the original Browning 1911 - but no one complaints about that.

Guns will be copied with slight modifications to improve upon them, if that wasn't the case, many of these gun manufacturers wouldn't be in business.
Old December 5, 2006, 12:06 PM   #14
Ralph2

I had one that was of the production lot with the brittle hammers. Turn around was fast, under a week if I remember. I don't like the finger grooves so mine got sanded away Trigger pull is similar to the Kel Tec 380 I have.

The gun is more a "derivative" than a "copy".

I too have not had any issues to date with Wally White Box but I do notice there is an inconsistency from shot to shot in the loudness of the bang so I know there are issues.

It seems the bugs are worked out of them now. This is a new company and I am not sure they have cracked the 3K serial numbers yet. Kel Tec has had issues with most new mouse gun roll outs the first few production runs. Mine is fine now sans finger grooves.
Old October 20, 2007, 06:24 AM   #15
BluesBear

Location: Mill Creek, Washington (The Great Pacific NorthWet)
sorry to reach so far back but...

Quote:
the 1911's that Kimber, S&W, Colt, and about everyone else make is a copy of the original Browning 1911 -
Er... um... There never was an "original Browning 1911".
The original 1911 WAS a Colt. And it was called the Government Model by Colt's. At that time (and for decades later) only the US Military referred to it as the Model 1911.
John Browning was employeed BY Colt's while he was designing the Government Model pistol FOR Colt's. Colt's owned all of the rights and patents associated with that pistol. It was not one of his independent designs.

The "Fashion Calibers" seem to come and go but when all is said and done everybody comes back to the forty-five.
(Chris Curino - Kimber Mfg. Co.)

Old October 20, 2007, 06:56 AM   #16
varoadking

Just noticed that I already posted in this thread...last year!
Old October 20, 2007, 08:57 AM   #17
tegemu

Mine is a good shooter but I broke 2 hammers at first (They apparently corrected the brittle hammer problem). I also filed down the serrations on the trigger ( rubbed my finger uncomfortable) and, on recoil, the safety tended to go to "SAFE" which is quite disconcerting on the next round. All in all not a good opinion. I would rather have put the money into a beter pistol.
Old October 20, 2007, 04:40 PM   #18
denfoote

Quote:
Just noticed that I already posted in this thread...last year!
Take heart!!
At least people are using the search function!!
Old April 14, 2008, 08:09 PM   #19
DGsPARA

I purchased one about 2 months ago It shoots verry well Double action is smoother than my nephews SIGMA. The only problem that I had was the front site came off after about 200 rounds I took it back to the dealer and they called Skyy and within a week they replaced it. I have probably shot 250 rounds and have not had that problem again. There service was great. I like the finger grooves as well.