The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 16, 2013, 03:24 PM   #26
PatientWolf

Getting into reloading is not possible for everyone and can represent a significant investment, but one point that hasn't been mentioned here is that the cost to get in is not a reoccurring cost and is not necessarily re-occurring.

What I mean is: once you have the ability to load one cartridge (.308 in this case), adding the capability to reload others (9mm, .45, 30-06, 44mag comes at a very small incremental cost. So it may be possible to see the payback much sooner than if only using it for .308.
Old February 16, 2013, 07:11 PM   #27
YankeeIronSights

.308 ammo too expensive

Thanks for all the valuable suggestions. I have decided to keep the rifle. Reloading makes a lot of sense, specially since I could reload for all other calibers I use.
Old February 17, 2013, 02:56 AM   #28
kilimanjaro

WalMart is selling Remington .308, 180 grains, at $21 a box, right now. $17 a box here for same in 150 grain. Cabela's has Remington .308 at $23 a box. Wolf .308 is still $20 a box. You can pay up to $35 for premium stuff, or panic prices for anything, but don't fret, just don't pay it. Keep your brass and find a buddy who reloads, buy some dies if you have to, and stay friends. Get with another buddy and split the gas to visit a store with decent prices. Call first, it goes fast. Be patient, it's getting re-stocked and the panic is cooling.
Old February 17, 2013, 04:30 AM   #29
iraiam

the going rate around here in a few LGS is about $1 a round for 7.62X63 NATO, although there are a few LGS stores currently gouging their customers at twice that.

These same stores are also trying to sell Russian surplus 7.62X54R 440 round case for $199, I just went to a different LGS and bought it for $89, They also had 1K round cases of 7.62 NATO for $999 a little higher than the recent past, but demand can justify that. Not an extra 100%, that is gouging IMO.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old February 18, 2013, 12:53 PM   #30
PatientWolf

I just picked up 2 boxes of Federal Fusion @ WM @ $25/ea.
Old February 19, 2013, 03:31 PM   #31
Joe Chicago

Since all the talk of new gun control measures and the run on 'military' ammunition, I cannot find .308 at any price.
Old February 22, 2013, 03:13 PM   #32
wooly booger

good luck finding reloading components... primers, powder and .30 cal bullets are scarce too.
Old February 22, 2013, 05:17 PM   #33
Mike1

Reload!!

Looks like you're just about on board for reloading. Start by buying or borrowing a couple of books, e.g. ABCs of reloading, Lyman, Speer, Hornady, Lee, etc. Just be aware that many kits also come with a book.

You can make top quality ammo rivaling the best commercial offerings for half the cost (or more).

Mike
Old February 25, 2013, 03:51 PM   #34
44 AMP
Staff

First off, don't get into a European milsurp caliber because of cheap ammo. If you do,. eventually you will be sorry.

If you get into them because you like the rifles, fine. But be warned, the days of cheap milsurp ammo are just about over. The only ones that are going to be cheap for a little longer are those produced in former communist nations.

The UN has been pushing for some time now to ban the civilian sale of European milsurp ammo, and they are pretty successful. Many nations are now simply burning excess ammo, rather than selling it on the civilian market.

Also, many of the milsurp calibers are now obsolete, and no military ammo is even being made for them (.303 Brit, 8mm Mauser, .30-06, etc), so all there is is all there is, and when its gone, there won't be any more.

Now, all of these rounds are still made as civilian ammo, but it is at sporting rifle ammo prices (as it is sporting rifle ammo), and niche rounds (not mainstream) are more expensive yet.

I do cringe when I hear of someone buying a case of 1,000 7.62 NATO for nearly $1k dollars. It's outrageous. On the other hand, gas isn't $0.70 a gallon for premium anymore, either...
Old February 26, 2013, 04:02 AM   #35
rc

Anomalous Pricing

If you haven't notices even 223 is going for $1 per shot these days. More than 30-06. The 308 and 223 being military favorites are in very short supply right now. That's hwy price si crazy. Now if you are buying target ammo with the 168bt then yes $40 a box is proabably about right in todays market. Hunting ammo is still around $20. Reloading will get your costs down but it's an added chore. You can also just save and sell brass to offset your ammo costs. The case is worth about 25 to 50 percent of a load and can be sold to recoup some of your costs or saved for when you do reload and want to save 1/2 your costs. The only thing that seems to still be found at a reasonalble price is steel cased 7.62x39 that pops up with some regularity and these disappears. You never see 223 in my area. Nor can you find 9mm. Changing your gun is not going to change the ammo shortage. Finding and buying ammo in bulk so you never get caught with your pants down is about the only way to avoid paying $40 a box for ammo. Reloads cost about the same but the quality is way better than old corroded surplus and you can assemble the best bullets into ammunition for less than "cheap" factory hunting loads.
Old February 26, 2013, 02:00 PM   #36
DPris
Member Emeritus

Just get used to the idea that if you expect to shoot centerfire factory ammunition, it'll cost money no matter what it is or where you find it.
If you expect to shoot a LOT, it'll be even more expensive.

Reloading is the best way to go about it, but even there it'll still cost money.

Denis
Old February 27, 2013, 06:12 PM   #37
Achilles11B

Only one thing to do, and that's sell your rifle to me for $600 or so.

On a serious note, another vote for reloading here. Depending on caliber and how hot you load, you can get 3-4 shots per brass case. Primers and powder are tough to come by, but that's just the times we live in, and times change. Saving money, plus the ability to custom-load ammunition that YOUR rifle likes, will be satisfying both in the short term and the long term.
Old February 27, 2013, 06:33 PM   #38
allaroundhunter

Re: .308 ammo too expensive

Are you really only getting 3-4 shots per case? The .308 is not that high pressured of a round, and many that I know are getting at least 5 loading from each case.
Old February 27, 2013, 06:41 PM   #39
YankeeIronSights

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Reloading will be my next project.
Old February 28, 2013, 08:42 AM   #40
stubbicatt

No kidding. Glad I bought components in depth for this cartridge.

That said, I've loaded up all the bulk Hornady 148 grain FMJ bullets I had. I may need to get on a backorder list somewhere.
Old February 28, 2013, 11:03 AM   #41
Saltydog235

Quote:
I'm still saving my pennies for my next gun and I'm still liking the Savage Precision Carbine.
Got one and love it. Accurate and compact enough not to be a pain in the kiester in a tree stand.

To the OP, reload. Buy components along and along, that way when panic buying hits again after this stuff blows over you'll have the means to make your own without being a slave to high prices. Anyone who shoots on a regular basis has no reason not to reload. It will always be cheaper than factory with the added benefit of tailored ammo.

The investment might hurt for a little while but the benefits outweigh the other costs after just a few months.
Old February 28, 2013, 11:05 AM   #42
Saltydog235

3-4 Shots for brass life? I have some cases that aren't good after 1 or 2 but on average I get at least 10. Heck I had some '06 brass I must have loaded 20 times before it was bad.
Old March 3, 2013, 09:44 PM   #43
jreXD9

Just bought 100 rds for $80.
Old March 3, 2013, 10:22 PM   #44
BJE80

You have to do some searching but there is some loaded ammo out there. Most of the time it goes quick however. Keep you eyes peeled on-line and you will find some. The problem is the shipping will get you unless you buy multiple boxes.
Old March 4, 2013, 09:58 AM   #45
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I do cringe when I hear of someone buying a case of 1,000 7.62 NATO for nearly $1k dollars. It's outrageous. On the other hand, gas isn't $0.70 a gallon for premium anymore, either...
I had a stroke when gas exceeded .25 cents a gallon. The good old days, .15 cent gas and .25 cent smokes, .05 beer at happy hour. $1 was a good day.

$1 for 7.62 NATO is outrageous, it should be a crime. I have been offered .50 a round for 8mm Mauser ammo I bought for .05 a round a few years ago.

Most of 2012 was ammo search mode for me. I managed to stash away several K, but know I'm to cheap to go shoot it up
Old March 4, 2013, 04:49 PM   #46
Rimfire5

YankeeIronSights

I have the same Model 10 FP with the hidden magazine.

I have shot more than 5500 rounds through it and it still shoots accurately.

After I had it for two months I started reloading and after almost 3 years I have loaded more than 15,500 rounds for 7 rifle calibers.

I generally shoot really good factory ammo in my rifles (all but the AK47) and save quite a bit by reloading - enough to allow me to shoot way more than I ever could if I had to buy factory ammo.

I haven't really saved any money but I have shot a heck of a lot more than I could have.

I can load a match grade .308 for less than 0.50 cents even at today's prices.
I really got the bug and paid for a very expensice reloading equipment set in about 4 months with what I saved by not buying Federal Gold Match ammo.
At today's prices it would be even quicker.

After I paid off the $1400 in reloading equipment, I still have "saved almost $9500 over the last 3 years. That went to more ammo of course but my shooting and reloading skills have really improved.

All of the rifles that I load for easily outperform factory ammo accuracy with my hand loads. Some of the really accurate rifles average half the group sizes compared to factory ammo.

I think you'll have a lot of fun reloading and you will really learn about your rifle if you experiment and keep meticulous records.
Old March 7, 2013, 04:37 AM   #47
Ignition Override

Before this panic developed, the only decent deals left in milsurp ammo was 7.62x54R. Yugo 8mm Mauser has crept up and been harder to locate.

Three nights ago, JGSales had some surplus Russian 5.45x39 for about $225/1,000 rds.

But most people have no interest in an AK-74, and this might partly be because some of the outsourced guns assembled under the Century name had the wrong barrel bores (5.56 for 5.45 bullets...).
Old March 9, 2013, 12:30 PM   #48
reynolds357

All ammo is too expensive. .308Win by no means has a corner on expensive. Price .270WSM and the price tag on .308 will then look much cheaper.
Old March 9, 2013, 12:43 PM   #49
22-rimfire

Centerfire ammunition price is relative. I have always considered it expensive including the milsurp 308. It is all a matter of perspective.

So you want to shoot? I don't know what you are trying to accomplish with shooting. That kind of helps in understanding what might make sense for you.

In general, I would suggest a couple of things.... (1) Get a good 22 rifle (something like a CZ452/453/455) and shoot that a lot. The skills transfer to your 308 for everything other than recoil tollerance and longer range shooting at the range. But you can get a lot of enjoyment out of shooting a good 22 rifle.

(2) If you want that bigger "bang" consider a 22WMR or 17 HMR and you also get more range. Things like 22 Hornet also cost a lot less per round.

(3) Continue shooting and save your empty brass. If you really like to shoot the 308 win a lot, eventually you will likely get into reloading.
Old March 9, 2013, 08:42 PM   #50
A pause for the COZ

I know if I did not reload, I would not be shooting very much.
Maybe just a Mosin with surplus ammo that would be it.

Let alone taking out my 308 and popping off 50 or 60 rounds.
heck I probably could not do it if I did not cast most of my bullets.

3 or 4 bucks for a box of 20 is much better than $24
A proper mold and a stash of a 1000 pounds of lead. Can keep you shooting.