The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 30, 2012, 04:07 PM   #1
baddarryl

.20 ga single shot with screw in chokes?

Hi all. I am looking to start my kids with one. Who knows what it will get used for in the long run so are any made with that? Thanks.
Old August 30, 2012, 05:56 PM   #2
TxGun

H&R is the best known current maker of single-shots. They do show one model of single-shot 20 with screw-in chokes...the Topper Deluxe Classic. Not sure how difficult it would be to actually find one, though. I recall hearing the Topper line was being discontinued...though they're still showing Toppers on their website.

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/topper.asp
Old August 30, 2012, 06:08 PM   #3
oneounceload

be forewarned that those single shots transmit a brutal amount of recoil to the shooter. You need to reload a 3/4 light load or find those trainer loads.

Personally, there are better choices
Old August 30, 2012, 06:32 PM   #4
baddarryl

Quote:
be forewarned that those single shots transmit a brutal amount of recoil to the shooter. You need to reload a 3/4 light load or find those trainer loads.

Personally, there are better choices
Any suggestions without breaking the bank?
Old August 30, 2012, 06:47 PM   #5
idek

I have a Topper Deluxe Classic in 20 gauge. What oneounceload said is normally true of H&R/NEF single shots, but my particular gun is a fairly solid 7.2 pounds. The reason is that the barrel is made from a 12 barrel blank. I know because I have a 12 gauge barrel for the gun too and the outer dimensions are identical. Since the 20 gauge is only bored out around .615" instead of .729" that leaves a thick, heavy barrel.

The gun comes with a modified screw-in choke, and uses common Invector (but not invector+) chokes. Mossberg accu-chokes, and Winchester Winchokes also work.
Old August 30, 2012, 06:49 PM   #6
idek

How old/big are your kids? That might be a significant consideration before buying a gun.
Old August 30, 2012, 07:58 PM   #7
oneounceload

Besides the weight, it is also the stock dimensions that seems to like no one when it comes to transmitting recoil.

Breaking the bank? How much is in Ms. Piggy? Used pumps and semis can be found for very reasonable costs. If you reload, the 28 is a great choice; otherwise stick with low-powered 20's in 3/4 oz payloads

If it were ME, a 20 gauge as heavy as they can handle, preferably a semi, with a stock to fit - but I know nothing of your kids and what they are capable of handling
Old August 30, 2012, 11:12 PM   #8
baddarryl

Well they are 9 and 10 and on the small side. I will be looking on the used racks for a deal.
Old August 30, 2012, 11:45 PM   #9
idek

Quote:
Besides the weight, it is also the stock dimensions that seems to like no one when it comes to transmitting recoil.
The Topper Deluxe Classic stock has more drop at the heel, less drop at the comb, and is a little longer than the stock of the more populous Pardner. For me personally, it fits noticeably better. Also, the pitch is different, and instead of having the sharp point of plastic butt plate jabbing into my shoulder pocket, the recoil pad fits more flush against the shoulder.

But regardless, I don't think it would fit a 9 or 10 year old. Other than used guns, with hunting season coming up, you could probably find guns such as the Mossberg 500 bantam (bantam is their youth model) pump on sale for around $200 or less. I believe these come with 3 chokes (IC, Mod, Full).