The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 17, 2010, 09:28 PM   #1
Hodge Podge

Remington 788 243. Win

I was wondering what everyone thinks of this rifle. My problem is I have no use for it but would love to use it. What does everyone else use it for. I live in central PA
Old February 17, 2010, 10:13 PM   #2
plainsman456

I had one in 223 rem and loved it for shooting coyotes.I hated the mag.
Had one come apart.The 243 should be a good deer and varment round.
Why do you have no use for it?
Old February 18, 2010, 02:15 AM   #3
fastforty

I have a 700 in .243 so I did a quick search to see what the difference in a 788 is. Without going too deep, I found a pretty good overview on Wiki:
Here
Old February 18, 2010, 02:40 AM   #4
bamaranger

The 788 was a working man's rifle.......

a bit less costly than a Rem 700, not nearly as pretty. It was available only in "short action" calibers.

The .243 is a great dual role ctg. In its lighter bullet weights, it makes a good "heavy varminter" and will beat the wind better than the .22 centerfires.
With its heavy bullets, it is up to the task of taking average whitetails, what ever they may look like. Moderate recoil. The 788 had a reputation for accuracy.

In central PA, the ridge and valley country, you oughta be able to use it for groundhogs, provided its not populated and the blast isn't an issue. Later in the year, it'll work fine for deer.

I visit Martinsburg, PA, 'bout once a year, family. Pretty country. Also know Blair, Cambria, and Huntingdon co's. Worked a brief spell at Raystown Lake. with COE. Pretty.
Old February 18, 2010, 10:17 PM   #5
skydiver3346

Model 788:

Tell ya what, if you don't want it, I'll buy it from you if it is in good condition and you have scope mounts/rings for it. Thanks
Old February 19, 2010, 12:22 PM   #6
James R. Burke

With respect I dont get why you dont have use for it, but would like to have one to use? I never had one but from what I heard they are a good rifle. You could use it for varmints or deer, of course with good shot placement, and the correct bullet. My wife has a .243 but in a differnt rifle, and it's great. I think I like it more that her. Wanted to trade her, but no deal.
Old February 19, 2010, 04:01 PM   #7
Hodge Podge

Yeah i was thinking i can just use it if i get bored shooting the same few guns. And yes PA is very beautiful i live about 30 minutes away from Huntingdon, a little Place called Warriors Mark. We have about 2 1/2 feet of snow so i am doing more shoveling than shooting.
Old February 19, 2010, 05:13 PM   #8
Abel

Didn't you just post about this rifle a couple days ago? Don't you already have a different rifle in this same caliber? What do you use that 243 for? Are the barrel twists different for each rifle? I would think this would be a no-brainer, a slam dunk, so to speak.

I just can't wrap my simple mind around your question:

Quote:
My problem is I have no use for it but would love to use it. What does everyone else use it for
Huh?

Its like that AFLAC commercial with the duck & Yogi Berra. He says, "If you get hurt & miss work, it won't hurt to miss work."

Its Deja-Vu all over again...
Old February 20, 2010, 02:51 PM   #9
Tom Matiska

Is it an earlier 22" barrel or the later 18"?

Not that the 22" is polite, but the 18" is more than a little rude when hunting chucks around a dairy farm. On a cold winter day in PA deer season the heavies out of the short barrel are nowhere near the long range red hot mama that many think. Still a very respectable deer rifle by most PA standards.

On those ocassional brutally cold days in PA I fall back to the 788. It doesn't have the excess of finger numbing cold metal that lessens my shooting skills like my levers do.
Old February 28, 2010, 01:04 PM   #10
David Turley

i think its a good varmit rifle i think the 243 is a bit small for deer sure it will kill a deer with a well placed shot but so will a 22lr
Old February 28, 2010, 02:11 PM   #11
skoro

About 30 years ago, a pal bought a 788 in .243 and claimed it was his deer rifle. He allowed me a few shots with it. Minimal recoil and very accurate. At the time I was convinced that 243 was light for deer. He proved me wrong. For several years in a row, he took a big mulie with it each time. Then one year he went to Wyoming to hunt pronghorn and got one at over 300 yards with a single shot. I'm now convinced it's a good rifle and a potent caliber.
Old February 28, 2010, 04:56 PM   #12
David Turley

i just perfer a larger caliber but thats just me ive seen deer a shot in the vitials at 150 yards with a 243 sure it killed the deer but not before the deer ran almost a quarter of a mile deep into the woods ive never had that problem with my 7mm mag like i said its just my opion if the 243 works for you i would stick with it
Old April 5, 2011, 09:35 AM   #13
duckdude

Remington 788 .243 Win.

I don't know Dave...I'm no expert but I've been fortunate in shooting a lot of deer, antelope coyotes and some hogs with different calibers / rifles, back east and out west. Started young, now in my 60's...and have made a few observations..simple to me but I told my grandson the same thing, think he gets it.
I've dropped that class of game with 22 cal. (22-250),243,257,270, 7mm Mag,30-30,30-06, .338....heaviest ran about 225 lbs., longest shot a little over 300 yds., closest 68 yds., (30-30..dropped in his tracks..literally) and what I believe it comes down to is a piece of metal flying through the air and doing it's business once it gets there. Bullet construction, placement is everything..in my mind.
Deer are not tough, thin skinned, light bones..we have a steel (deck plate) deer - cut out, full size, 1/4 inch...we put it out at 100, 200, 300 and occasionally at 400 yds...have a swinging replaceable round 12" "kill plate" in the vital area, anyway...ALL of those calibers, with the right bullet, hunting bullets (not FMJ) - will zip right through that plate like a laser, some will at 200 yds. +...with the exception of the 30-30 (big deep dent).
But I agree, chest (lung) shot deer I've shot will usually run...I don't know about a 1/4 mile, but I saw a heart shot hog run quite a way. So these days I try to break a shoulder if I have the shot..with any caliber. I've dropped more game with an old model 70 06' than others, but favor a .257 Roberts these days, fun, less recoil, very accurate. My 14 yr. old grandson took a large boar with that rifle, 117 grain Hornady...guide thought it might be a little "light", he made the shot off sticks...went in behind the shoulder, through and broke the off side shoulder and kept on going. Hog took about four steps and fell on his nose. 194 yds. by rangefinder. He's been shooting since age 6. Lot of rabbits...dove, duck, pheasant....and targets.
Anyway...lot of gibberish just to say I think we have all the "power" we need for deer / antelope in any of the generics (24's, 25's,7's,30's) ..with the right bullet in the right place. Never shot an elk...hope to before I die....if I do I'll use the .338. Go for a shouder shot. Sorry for the long write...too much coffee. Good hunting! Ken
Old April 5, 2011, 09:42 AM   #14
Picher

The 788 was intended to be a poor sister of Remington's 700 series, but, due to the action's stiff design/construction and faster lock time, proved to be more accurate and was used for benchrest shooting by many people instead of the 700.

That said, I like 24" barrels on my long-range deer and varmint rifles.

Tags
243. , 788 , remington , winchester