The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 23, 2009, 10:29 AM   #1
Levers

Limbsaver Butt Pad

I have a 20ga Stoeger Uplander that has a plastic butt plate. The stock has been cut to 12-1/2 inches for my wife to shoot. It fits her very good.

She would like me cut off another inch and fit it with a 1 inch limbsaver recoil pad to make it a little more enjoyable for her to shot. She is recoil sensitive.

I have read that sometimes a slightly oversize pad would also help for the recoil sensitive person.

Has anyone put on a limbsaver grind to fit and just left it oversize, without grinding. The one I am looking is a 1 inch pad that would be maybe 1/16" oversize all the way around. Looks are not that important for her or me, just function. I was thinking if it was to much of a pain being oversize I could pay a smith to grind to fit later or grind myself.
Old October 23, 2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

When Son finished the 9th grade with straights As, I bought him a H&R Topper in 12 gauge. I shortened the stock and added a Limbsaver pad left full size. It helps cut the kick greatly. So did the handloaded 3/4 oz loads I cobbled up.

I use the little thing occasionally, and even with 1 1/8 oz hunting loads, the extra padding keeps things fun.

It does look a little odd, but only until you use it.
Old October 23, 2009, 03:31 PM   #3
Levers

Well I look a little Odd also so the pad should be OK. I wast just curious if it presented any big problem being a little oversize in the way it functioned. Thanks for the input I just ordered one of the Limbsaver grind to fit's from Midway. Plan to leave it oversize if it works OK. For this particular gun that should be fine.
Old October 23, 2009, 03:51 PM   #4
Levers

Yes - and congradulations on your son's straight A's and you for the fine gift of the H&R.
Old October 24, 2009, 08:40 PM   #5
lamontcranston

I installed a Limbsaver on my 590 that was originally equipped with a quick-feed stock, which, I'm told, is slightly different from the standard stock. At the time, they didn't list a pad for that gun, so I called them and told them which pad most closely resembled one they made, except the screw holes and the shape looked a little out of whack.
They sent me one for free. I fiddled with the screw holes a little and the shape was barely noticible as not being perfect, and it works very well.

It does add a little length to the stock, though, being a little thicker than a stock pad, or a lot thicker than a simple butt plate.

Personally, as an old guy, I like the pad more than a hard butt plate anytime. I'd like to see more shock-aborber stocks on the market.

Oh, yes, and the QF stock is a waste of money. No likee.
Old October 25, 2009, 08:05 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks, Levers, that was a while back. He's 22, out of school for a year and settles on his first house the 16th.

Those As paid off. He's a software designer for a Govt contractor and loves his high paying, heavy bennied job.
Old October 27, 2009, 09:43 PM   #7
Levers

Got the wife set up with a Mossberg, now I can put the limbsaver on this without cutting it anymore and have the 13-1/2" LOP I like.
Old October 29, 2009, 09:58 AM   #8
ebutler462

Check out Limbsaver's templates and order the pad that more closely fits your last cut.
Old November 8, 2009, 03:10 PM   #9
The Principal

Just trace your current pad onto the Limbsaver...get a sander and do it yourself. Run slowly to grind. It will look much better and will prevent it from snagging on clothes during mount.