The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 2, 2007, 11:51 PM   #1
Trapp

Maybe I don't get it?

I read about people reloading, I do it too. It seems to me that most people try to push the bullet as fast as they can. Others appear to be obsessed with safety......

I don't beleive I fit in the "reloader" type.

I reload to save money, maintain a supply of ammo, to hunt with.....

My plinking ammo is just that. I don't trim the cases, .1 or so grains difference doesn't make a hoot to me, I don't max the load out. I usually start somewhere in the middle and stick with that. I use titegroup for all I can (you use so little of it). I get the cheapest lead bullets I can find (who cares if I have to get the lead out after each range session)

My hunting ammo isn't that precise either. I have never trimmed a case yet (I just ordered my first case trimmer). I don't use a powder trickler or weigh every load. I don't max it out......So my 44mag is shooting at 1245fps vs 1320fps.....Shot placement is what really counts.

Rifle you say? I don't have any shots further than 100 yds. At 100 yards MOHpp (half a pie plate) is accurate enough to hunt with.

Am I off my rocker?
Old August 2, 2007, 11:56 PM   #2
Dave R

?? You sound normal to me... except...
Quote:
My hunting ammo isn't that precise either. I have never trimmed a case yet
That can get dangerous. Centerfire rifle ammo lengthens every time you shoot it. It can get so long that the case gets into the throat. That can "crimp" the bullet and cause pressures to rise.
Old August 3, 2007, 12:04 AM   #3
DIXIEDOG

There were two things that varied a little compared to my technique

"I don't trim the cases"

Not a big deal w/ the straigh cased .44 but if you shoot bottleneck catridges you really need to trim them from bottoming out and causing interference. Trimming also helps provide consistency if you crimp your loads. If you don't trim and it works for you great but it doesn't work for most.

"I use titegroup for all I can (you use so little of it)."

The only problem with using the powder that uses the least is that you provide a much better chance for a double or triple charge going unnoticed and you allow more room for powder to shift increasing you standard deviation. Either one isn't that big of a problem but you need to use more caution to prevent dangerous conditions.
Old August 3, 2007, 12:17 AM   #4
Trapp

Dave,
That is why I bought the case trimmer. I keep reading about bad things happening on rifles......

Dixie,

I dump a charge in one case then seat the bullet. It prevents me from grabbing a case that I already charged.
Old August 3, 2007, 07:47 AM   #5
Mal H
Staff

"Am I off my rocker?"

Not at all. Since the trimming thing has been addressed, I see no problems at all with what you do in reloading, however, I do with the overall meaning of your post.

If I'm reading between the lines correctly (may not be), it sounds like you're mildly criticizing others who weigh each load to the hundredth of a grain, try to get that last ounce of performance out of their loads (while doing it safely I hope), or seek that almost impossible one-hole grouping.

Many reloaders find those listed activities part of the fun of reloading. Others may find them a chore. The only way to answer that is to say, "to each his own". As long as what each individual reloader/handloader does is safe, why and how they do it is strictly up to them.
Old August 3, 2007, 08:05 AM   #6
lonewolf5348

yes a trimmer is needed

(I just ordered my first case trimmer)
I been loading for some 40 years and between trimming pistol case they are few and far.
Rifle cases are a different ball game: I seen a fellow shooter many years ago failed to trim a center fire case (yes the case has been reloaded mid-range loading table many times) But this time the case stretch a Little to far:I seen a bolt tare out of a mauser action and just miss the fellow shooters eye .
I have to say safety is important to the shooter and other shooters standing by you :I heard this on another forum a guy started to load for a new kimber 45 and after 25 shots the gun handles blew off the gun was damaged lucky no injury came to the shooter his powder thrower was throwing a double charge.
I load mid range table in center fire : I also shoot 10 thousands off the land I think it depend how deep you want to get into shooting and reloading,but to me safety comes first and the people near me at the range
Old August 3, 2007, 08:56 AM   #7
Rimrod

Quote:
Am I off my rocker?
Somewhat.

Quote:
Others appear to be obsessed with safety......
Just because someone reloads because he is cheap or doesn't want to be bothered with all the old fashioned steps he may be too lazy to perform, safety should be the number one priority on every reloaders mind. Don't think of it as an obsession, it's more like professionalism or just using your head for more than a hat rack.

Quote:
Yes, I'm afraid you do.
"... he held his gun as almost every man skilled in such matters preferred to hold one when in action, with a half bent elbow that brought the gun slightly in front of his body at about, or slightly above, the level of the waist." - Wyatt Earp from Wyatt Earp Frontier Marshall by Stuart N. Lake
Old August 3, 2007, 11:06 AM   #8
Trapp

Quote:
it sounds like you're mildly criticizing others who weigh each load to the hundredth of a grain, try to get that last ounce of performance out of their loads
Not in the slightest, More power to them. I probably don't due this due to a lack of a formal range. I go to my lease and drive through the pines to my shooting spot. If I am sighting in or whatnot, I lay down in the bed of my truck. No fancy rests, bipods (though I am thinking about it for my ar-15), just elbows on steel.
If I am "stress relieving" or just having fun, I just throw out some targets and shoot at different angles. (I do keep safety in mind)

As far as safety: That is the number one focus when reloading. I do it in my garage with no distractions, I don't do high pressure loads, I toss any case that even comes close to looking bad, getting the case trimmer (just recently realised how important it was), I do check my powder charges evry couple 10-15 rounds....
Old August 3, 2007, 08:20 PM   #9
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
With your follow-up statements, I have to say that you are dead wrong, IMO. Just because you see several posts here doesn't necessarily represent the majority of the practices of reloaders.

My observation is you aren't super critical of each and every little tidbit techniques of the art of reloading. Rather, you seem to come across that your degree of reloading is casual yet safe. As long as you follow safe guidelines, I don't think you're doing anything wrong at all.

I've posted in the past on reloading techniques because I'm a picky butt (borderline obsessive-compulsive if you will). I think you fall in the normal run-of-the-mill reloader. And that's not a bad thing...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old August 3, 2007, 09:32 PM   #10
Rimrod

Thanks for clearing that up Trapp, I must have read your original post wrong. Like tuttle8 said you are more in the 'norm'.

People reload for many different reasons that is the reason there are so many different types of equipment on the market at such a wide variety of prices. While cost savings is one reason, like you, there are people who do it for accuracy, match/competition, purpose specific loads and experimentation. I relaod for several reasons and for a variety of calibers, that is why it's not safe to walk in my reloading room.
"... he held his gun as almost every man skilled in such matters preferred to hold one when in action, with a half bent elbow that brought the gun slightly in front of his body at about, or slightly above, the level of the waist." - Wyatt Earp from Wyatt Earp Frontier Marshall by Stuart N. Lake