The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 23, 2012, 11:43 PM   #1
BlackWorksInc

Question About Excessive Smoke/Fouling

So I picked up a new UTAS UTS-15 shotgun yesterday from the store, love the gun have only one complaint really. CREE still hasn't delivered the laser/light combo to UTAS so I am waiting for that, other than that I am happy with the gun.

Sorry I don't have any pictures right now, I meant to take some but got caught up in shooting the gun.

I ran about 25 rounds in the gun today and my shoulder is learning how to take 14 consecutive slugs. Something that was pointed out to me was that my weapon was making a large cloud of smoke and the front of my weapon had turned greyish. I was shooting Federal Rifled Slugs, 12 2.75" 1oz today and the fellow next to me had a shotgun as well, using the exact same rounds and his weapon did not seem to exhibit this excessive smoke. I knew that slugs tended to foul up a shotgun a bit more than buckshot, but this seemed rather excessive. I wasn't sure if it was because the gun was brand new or because of something wrong with the ammunition I was using. I was hoping someone could answer that for me.

Last edited by BlackWorksInc; October 24, 2012 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old October 24, 2012, 01:00 AM   #2
BlackWorksInc

124 views and no thoughts?

It honestly seems like for what every reason the slugs are creating a lot more excessive lead powder than the person next to me. I was just wondering if anyone had ever had this issue with rifled slugs in a smoothbore before?

I know they will stick to the barrel, but this light coating of lead dust all over the front of my gun seems excessive.
Old October 24, 2012, 02:18 AM   #3
TheKlawMan

Wild ass guess is that the 18.5" barrel is so short that some powder is still burning. How long was the barrel of the shotgun next to you?
Old October 24, 2012, 02:28 AM   #4
BlackWorksInc

Hmm.. That might be. I think he was running a Mossberg 500 with a 20" barrel? I could be wrong on the make, but I believe it was a 20" barrel.
Old October 24, 2012, 12:58 PM   #5
BigJimP

I think barrel length is the issue as well...even an inch or two can make a big difference.

But what difference does it make ...if you clean it after every range trip anyway ??

You could try other brands of shells - and you might see some difference...if it really bothers you.
Old October 24, 2012, 01:24 PM   #6
BlackWorksInc

I wanted to make sure there's nothing wrong with the gun barrel or choke, it's under warranty and if there was an issue I'd have the factory take care of it. The only issue it causes is a light coating of lead dust on the polymer front that's a pain to scrub off. But I can live with that.

I'll Ty some different slugs when I get the chance and see if it changes. Thanks for the help.
Old October 24, 2012, 02:06 PM   #7
wagdog

I'm with TheKlawMan and BigJimP on this one. I've seen similar issues with handgun ammo. A lot of times the full-size frame weapons will have a little bit of unburnt powder around the muzzle while my subcompacts are coated from the muzzle back an inch or two on the slide. Most of the time it is because I'm shooting *cheap* target ammo. I've also seen the same factory loads appear to shoot *dirtier* through my 18.5 inch Maverick 88 than through my 870 Wingmaster with a 26 inch barrel.
Old October 24, 2012, 03:22 PM   #8
BigJimP

There is very little, if anything, that could be wrong with the barrel or the choke ...that could affect the issue you're having.../ so I don't think its anything to be overly concerned about.
Old October 25, 2012, 02:05 PM   #9
Lock Stock

Long shot, but are you using cold shells, i.e. ones that have been stored at below room temperature?

If so, try bringing you shells indoors and keep them warm about 3 to 4 days before a shoot and see if it makes a difference to the smoke and wad debris emanating from your muzzle.