The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 22, 2010, 10:39 AM   #1
xMINORxTHREATx

Looking for a TT-33 Tokarev

I've been looking into these pistols for purely plinking purposes. (Say that five times fast)

I was hoping to go through Aim Surplus since its right down the road from me butttttt they don't have any right now.

I can't seem to find a place that has them either. I've found some Norinco ones, but read to stay away from the Chinese made ones and go with a Polish if I can find it.

So.

Any body got some good links?
Old December 22, 2010, 10:43 AM   #2
egor20

J&G Sales has them, Yugo not Polish though.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info....oducts_id/4432

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old December 22, 2010, 11:45 AM   #3
Cheapshooter

southern Ohio Guns. Lebanon Ohio. You might not be able to get into the gun listings on their website without an account and C&R license. They do list Romanian Tokarevs for $189.00
If you don't have a Class 03 FFL ( Collector of Curios and Relicks) why not get one. $30.00 for 3 years, and then you can also get an 1895 Nagant, P-64, Cz82, Polish, Romanian, and Yugo T-33's, Mausers, M-N 91-30, etc. Join the club!!!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 22, 2010, 03:26 PM   #4
seansean1444

jg sales
Old December 22, 2010, 07:34 PM   #5
jhenry

My Norinco has been flawless in operation. The good friend I got this one from has 3 others with no complaints. The trigger is even pretty good, better than a stock GI 1911 by a long shot.
Old December 22, 2010, 08:35 PM   #6
xMINORxTHREATx

How much are the Norincos?

The one from JG doesn't look bad. Says its not compatible with certain magazines though and that scares me cause I wanna get a few mags for it for sure. Found some for 17 bucks but not sure if they will be compatible.
Old December 22, 2010, 10:08 PM   #7
raftman

The reason why the Yugo Tokarev pistols don't accept Russian, Polish, Chinese, or Romanian mags is because the Yugo pistol uses a 9-round magazine (the other guns all use 8 round magazines). The Yugo mag is longer, and thus so is the grip, all the other mags are too short. Yugo mags do tend to be considerably harder to find and more expensive than standard mags. Factory mags may cost around $40, maybe a little bit less for aftermarket mags. At least J&G ships with two mags.

The Polish one is definitely a good way to go, used to have one and constantly regret trading it away. Currently have a Yugo from J&G and am very pleased with it thus far. Only 140 rounds through it so it's not the best long-term indication, but so far it's accurate, reliable, and fun to shoot. Be aware, these do come shipped in immense amounts of cosmoline and it will be a bit of a project getting it all cleaned out.

Old December 23, 2010, 08:15 AM   #8
xMINORxTHREATx

Cosmoline = the bane of my existence.

I've read some people claiming that the Tok is very reliable, more so then their new production 1911's and such. Is this an exaggeration or are they really this reliable?

Also, where can I get a NON-Yugo one? Since the mags are gonna be a lot cheaper, I might go that route. Are the Yugos higher quality?

Last edited by xMINORxTHREATx; December 23, 2010 at 08:28 AM. Reason: more questions.
Old December 23, 2010, 12:16 PM   #9
Cheapshooter

I won't speculate on the Tok being more reliable than new 1911's, but I will say all three of mine have been 100% reliable with the military surplus ammo I shoot in them. Of the three I would say the Romanian is the most accurate, but neither the Polish, or the Yugo are inaccurate.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 23, 2010, 09:08 PM   #10
raftman

Quote:
I've read some people claiming that the Tok is very reliable, more so then their new production 1911's and such. Is this an exaggeration or are they really this reliable?
It's hard to make a blanket statement. There are so many new production 1911's out there, from various countries, available at various prices, in different calibers, in varying configurations out there. Both my Yugo and Polish Tok have been 100% reliable. So I guess it can be said Tokarevs are at least AS reliable as the 1911.

Quote:
Are the Yugos higher quality?
Depends on what you mean by quality. In terms of how well it's finished and how well it's made, no, it can't really be said to be better than the others. However, the Yugos are available in super nice condition, with pristine bores, and such. They're among the most recently-introduced Tokarev variant, so they have a factory thumb safety (all of the others lacked an external safety, and one had to be added before importation into the USA would be allowed), they also have the higher capacity magazine. The Yugos have a magazine disconnect safety (some like these, some don't.)
Old December 23, 2010, 10:40 PM   #11
xMINORxTHREATx

Hmm. I might go with the Yugo even though the mags cost 1/4 the gun. haha
Old December 24, 2010, 12:21 AM   #12
cougar gt-e

Quote:

The one from JG doesn't look bad. Says its not compatible with certain magazines though and that scares me cause I wanna get a few mags for it for sure. Found some for 17 bucks but not sure if they will be compatible.
Currently J&G only has M57's. Those ARE NOT TT-33's. They are very close, but have a longer grip and hold one more round. Those mags are tough to locate and $$. SOG has Romanian tokarev's and extra mags.
Old December 25, 2010, 12:24 AM   #13
doofus47

I like my Rommie...
for what it's worth...
Happy shooting.
Old December 30, 2010, 03:59 AM   #14
gyvel

I have never had any problems with the half dozen Norinco Type 54-2 Tokarevs I have owned (and still have two). There were some problems with some of the Navy Arms Toks with the plastic bottom mags which would break if you looked at them cross-eyed. If I recall, that was the TU-90.