The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2020, 09:49 AM   #1
markr6754

Cabela’s Surprise

I dropped in to Cabela’s last night to pick up some 40 S&W ammo for my soon to arrive Springfield EMP 40. I try to stay away from there so as not to cry when I see the dregs or reloading components, or the 6, now 2 aisles dedicated to the passion.

To my surprise I found thousands....yes....thousands of primers, of several shapes and sizes, and more powder than I’ve encountered in 2 years. They had full bricks of CCI small pistol, small pistol magnum, Federal many flavors, Winchester, Remington, I can’t remember when I saw so much variety, and actual multiple quantities of various primers. Prices weren’t bad...not good, but not bad considering no shipping or hazmat. CCIs were $32.99; Winchester $34.99; Federal was highest at $39.99. I know the oft encountered $0.01 deal, or no hazmat on $150, but what if you only need (can afford) one brick?

It was quite encouraging, I just hope it wasn’t some weird “blue moon” thing or a President’s Day deal.
Old February 15, 2020, 10:14 AM   #2
Smokescreens

i got a part time job at cabelas just for the discount (and what a discount it is on some stuff, lol). i do wish they had more options as well but our store has 30 or so powder choices (only varget in 8lbs) primers are....yeah.. lucky to see more than 4 1,000 count boxes at a time. but we do have a very nice selection of bullets and dies at least.
Old February 15, 2020, 10:20 AM   #3
PolarFBear

Sadly, both of the Cabela's I patronized (Abingdon VA and Ringold GA) have been "absorbed" by the nearly adjacent Bass Pro Shops. The Bass Pros have not had any "sales" or advertisements since Christmas. I now rely on gun shows and the pickings ARE sparse.
Old February 15, 2020, 12:53 PM   #4
MarkCO

Most of the folks I know have not darkened the door of a Cabela's since BP bought them. Same here. Used my points, closed my Charge Card account. Local stores, Scheels and for primer and powder, annual order from Powder Valley.
Old February 15, 2020, 10:46 PM   #5
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokescreens View Post
i got a part time job at cabelas just for the discount (and what a discount it is on some stuff, lol). i do wish they had more options as well but our store has 30 or so powder choices (only varget in 8lbs) primers are....yeah.. lucky to see more than 4 1,000 count boxes at a time. but we do have a very nice selection of bullets and dies at least.
You have Varget in stock now?
Old February 15, 2020, 11:09 PM   #6
markr6754

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
Most of the folks I know have not darkened the door of a Cabela's since BP bought them. Same here. Used my points, closed my Charge Card account. Local stores, Scheels and for primer and powder, annual order from Powder Valley.
I appreciate your position. You can imagine my dilemma. Until Cabela’s opened the only other place to get reloading supplies was Dick’s...and I don’t darken their doors...and they quit selling components.
By the time I discovered Gander Outdoors had some supplies they were in the process of quitting powder and primer sales...I picked up 16 lbs of Universal, and I’m convinced it was quite old and poorly stored. Long story.
I did get some good deals at a local gun show, but the next 2 shows had nothing but bullets. I haven’t been back in nearly a year...but have it in my calendar for next week’s show.
Even ordering online has tripped me up. I took advantage of the Vihtavuori rebate and no Hazmat sale at Midway USA last month...and though they accepted my order, they short shipped as they were actually out of N320...the powder I really wanted.
It’s time to start planning long trips out of town to hit up the places everyone tells me about.
Old February 16, 2020, 06:34 AM   #7
BBarn

I've taken advantage of their occasional in-store club coupons and gotten $20 off $100 in goods (reloading stuff). Also bought a handgun online (ship to store) for a good sale price.

If you use their club MasterCard and wait for their sales/coupons there are occasionaly good deals.
Old February 16, 2020, 09:04 PM   #8
E.J.W.

just a question..

Bought some powder a year ago at a Cabelas.
Clerk asked me for my drivers license, all the other LGS's I visit never once asked for my license. Curious why Cabelas did.
E.
Old February 17, 2020, 10:25 AM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

You'll have to ask them. If they didn't write any of the information from it down, then I suspect that, like grocery store chains selling alcoholic beverages, they have a CYA policy that says they have to check everyone's age so they don't sell to underage people. If I buy beer at some stores here, the newer clerks check my ID even though my gray hair and wrinkles are a rather strong hint I am not under 21. But that doesn't deter them. It's policy. The more experienced clerks just make up a birthday from long enough ago to enter it into the system and pass muster with the computer.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 17, 2020, 10:58 AM   #10
MarkCO

markr6754

Yeah, I get it. I have a lot of choices. If Cabelas/BP was the only good option for me, I'd buy from them too.

If you have buddies, you can place a big order from Powder Valley and share in the Shipping and Hazmat.
Old February 17, 2020, 10:20 PM   #11
markr6754

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
markr6754

Yeah, I get it. I have a lot of choices. If Cabelas/BP was the only good option for me, I'd buy from them too.

If you have buddies, you can place a big order from Powder Valley and share in the Shipping and Hazmat.
Sadly, I have no local friends that reload or shoot. That said, I have a new acquaintance that built a tiny outdoor range for plinking, he invited me over when he learned the depth of my shooting/firearms interest. I came to understand that plinking to him means .22 short. BUT, he got a 9mm for his wife, who works from home. He wants to learn to reload, and I want to shoot outdoors. Looks like the proverbial heaven-made match.
I’m saving a set of 9mm dies to pass down one day.
Old February 18, 2020, 07:23 AM   #12
hooligan1

Went to a gunshow Saturday here in KCMO, there was a lot of jacked up prices on everything guns, I did manage to grab some powder I needed as well as 2 pounds of 6.5 StaBall to try, price wasnt bad at 26.44 per pound, 7828 was 23.00 per lb, and Imr 4350 was 25.00 per pound.
The fella had a full selection of Federal and Wi chester primers but only pistol primers from CCI.
Old February 18, 2020, 02:23 PM   #13
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan1 View Post
Went to a gunshow Saturday here in KCMO, there was a lot of jacked up prices on everything guns, I did manage to grab some powder I needed as well as 2 pounds of 6.5 StaBall to try, price wasnt bad at 26.44 per pound, 7828 was 23.00 per lb, and Imr 4350 was 25.00 per pound.
The fella had a full selection of Federal and Wi chester primers but only pistol primers from CCI.
You will love the Staball 6 5. Clean, accurate, and high velocity.
Old February 19, 2020, 07:27 PM   #14
hooligan1

Well I can only hope and test.
Ive loaded 6.5 Creedmoor, and 7 mauser, as well as some. 270 test loads.
Old February 20, 2020, 11:30 AM   #15
jdc606

Paperwork to purchase percussion firearms.

Was at Cabela's a couple days ago looking for percussion caps . Couldn't find them as they'd been relocated. Clerk said they were moved closer to the firearm area because Cabela's now requires filling out the same paperwork for black powder as if you were purchasing a smokeless powder firearm. Clerk said it's not called in but... not a new state or fed requirement, new store policy.
Don't need a permit to purchase clerk guessed.
Old February 20, 2020, 08:15 PM   #16
jetinteriorguy

You inspired me to stop in my local Cabela's and lo and behold they had bricks of Aguila high velocity .22 RF. Picked up a couple for my stash.

Tags
cabela’s , primers , reloading supplies